October 2013 Moms

Baby led weaning suggestion

I did BLW with my first and I found that so many of the foods are slippery and hard for LO to hold- bananas, avacado, etc. someone told me to try rolling the piece in some crushed Cheerios to help "grip" it helps a ton and he loved it!
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Baby led weaning suggestion

• PixiesDustPixiesDust member
    edited March 2014
    My biggest issue with BLW is that I feel like she needs a bath everytime she eats!  But the Cheerios are a good idea -- drool and most foods are a tough combo

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The biggest hit for us was broccoli.  He loooved it and it was really easy for him to eat.

• Loading the player...
  • I did blw for the first time this weekend with a pear. Just as she got a grip on it, it would slip. Broccoli is a good idea. I have to try that one. I love the cheerios tip. Is it safe for them at this age?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Good idea! The avocado I bought for DD recently got a little too mushy for her to grip so I mashed it and spread it on toast- she loved it!
  • I cut sweet potato into strips and then baked those so that they have a hard exterior for gripping this weekend. He loved that.

I am very weary of this cereal suggestion. With bananas you can leave part of the peel on to help with handling.

I'm trying to think of something healthier than crushed cereal - maybe just breadcrumbs? It all seems awfully scratchy on teething gums though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I guess Cheerios are age appropriate. Crushed they are like a fine powder. It's a grain cereal. And lol at breadcrumbs being healthier than Cheerios.
  • Well I think none of it seems very healthy!

• I use one of the silicone feeders with slippery foods. She holds it and chews on it to get the food out, but much less mess.

Now that she's getting better at it with some foods I just give her smaller bites (foods she's had experience with). I'm not sure what category that is. But I'm team whatever works for us so that's what we do.

• Another idea would be mum mum crackers. They have different types, but the original is just organize rice flour, organic sugar, and salt. V loves them, but you could put banana/avocado between two halves.

• calibr8te said:
    Well I think none of it seems very healthy!
    What exactly would be so unhealthy about less than a teaspoon if grain cereal?
  • calibr8tecalibr8te member
    edited March 2014
    @catycate: just my opinion because I am making everything that he eats right now so the thought of giving him something refined and processed does not sit well with me.

Eta: totally flame worthy. #don'tcare

• shelley1002shelley1002 member
    edited March 2014
    I used the baby rice cereal and the baby oatmeal with DS1 on slippery foods.  Worked well.  Same idea.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Maybe puffs? They 'melt' in their mouths so may be safer than cheerios
    DD ~ 8/30/09 DS ~ 10/13/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"