Success after IF

Only 1 beta before Ultrasound?

edited March 2014 in Success after IF
Hi ladies,

I'm new here...have definitely been lurking for awhile and reading the discussions of similar issues have really helped immensely. 

To get to the point: is it normal just to have 1 beta before the first ultrasound? I went in for my beta (I asked if I could test early), 10dp3dt, and it came back at 103. She said that was a "normal" number, and no need for any other blood draws prior to the u/s. I was surprised since they monitored me so closely prior to my egg retrieval (I had to get my blood drawn EVERY day for 5 days straight). Is this normal? I guess I'm a planner...I wish they would see me again, so that if there's bad news, I don't get it 2.5 weeks later. 

Just a quick background since I'm new... :) We just finished a round of IVF, with my egg retrieval on 3/14. We ended up having to go the donor route because the micro TESE on my dh was unsuccessful. No known issues with me. They retrieved 18 eggs, 17 fertilized. I thought they would do a 5 day transfer, but my RE decided to do a 3 day instead, saying he had 4 "perfect 8 cell" and in order to do a 5 day, he likes to have 6. Anyway, I trusted him, and we transferred 2. I first tested 8dp3dt in the PM and came up with 2 positive lines. I was absolutely shocked and so happy. Then, the nest morning, using FMU, the line was noticiably lighter. I was nervous all day and wondered if it was the trigger that was left in my system...or something wasn't going well, but that's when I peeked around on these forums and found loads of helpful info (thank you all). I also asked my RE if I could come in for a beta the next day, a little early, since I was originally scheduled for tomorrow, the 31st. That evening, I tested again, and the line was just as dark as the first night...so many of the stories I've read here was accurate for me - PM was better for testing than AM. Anyway, sorry for the novel, just wanted to say, happy to be here and good luck to all. :)
                                     - ticker/siggy warning -

ivf #1 (MFI): 18 retrieved, 16 fertilized 
     bfp: 8dp3dt, beta #1 10dp3dt: 103, beta #2 14dp3dt 637, EDD: 12.06.14! 
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Only 1 beta before Ultrasound?

• Beta doubling is whats important and one beta doesnt really give much info. However, your u/s will give you the best info but I know its hard to wait. Maybe ask for at least one more beta to ease your mind?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have mixed feelings on this one. Since doubling is so important, I think I'd ask for a second to ease my mind. But, I had three betas and I was so anxious about the exact numbers, I thought I'd lose my mind. I suppose this one really depends on your personality. Congratulations on your positive beta and fx for a fabulous ultrasound!!
    TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• Loading the player...
  • The emotional answer - I would want a second beta at least so I would have (hopefully) some early encouragement that everything was alright.

The rational answer - After you have a positive beta, subsequent betas can give you some information, but you would most likely need an u/s anyway to know for sure. I always thought the second and third betas were to try to rule out an ectopic pregnancy.

I guess at the end of the day most pregnant ladies take a test and then go see a doctor at eight to twelve weeks. Congratulations on your BFP! Wishing you all the best!
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • One beta is ridiculous I would insist on another.
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• kmc84kmc84 member
    Only one beta is a little odd. Like others have said, you want to see the number double. My clinic does a minimum of two betas, usually three before u/s. it looks like you have a great start! Congratulations!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Thanks so much for the responses ladies...I was wondering if I was being paranoid. I may go ahead and ask my OB for the blood test since trekking to my RE is 1.5 hours of sitting in traffic before work. I hope that will be OK. :)
                                         - ticker/siggy warning -

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I only had one beta when I got pregnant with A. They said that it came back high enough that I didn't need another one. My RE was old school though and has since retired.
    TTC since June 2011
    DH diagnosed with Testicular Cancer 8/2010
    Low sperm count. Only option IVF with ICSI
    Starting First cycle Jan/Feb 2012- Canceled due to not responding to BCP and/or Lupron
    IVF 1.2- stims March 14, ER March 24, 16 R 10F 6 made it to blast
    ET March 29- transferred two blasts, 4A and 4BA, froze 4
    Positive HPT 9dp5dt Beta 1- 385 11dp5dt
    u/s April 25- one healthy heartbeat
    EDD 12/12/12>

• itsmevkbitsmevkb member
    edited April 2014

The thing with betas is that a low beta may tell you something and a non-doubling beta may tell you something (and mainly hint at bad things) but a normal beta and a doubling beta, although good indicators, are ultimately no guarantee of anything.  So, I'm sure that is why your RE doesn't see the need for more than just the one.  If it will make you feel better to have a second then definitely ask for one but I'll just warn you, sometimes the more you know, the more it just gives you to obsess over!

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• I always had 2-3 betas.  A friend of mine had a very high first beta (600 +) and her RE told her they didn't need another.  She wasn't comfortable with that so called and asked for another.  She had a 2nd 4 days later and it was 3800.  So she accepted that and didn't go for any more... she did end up with twins...hence the very high initial beta.  Long & short... if it were me, I would ask for a 2nd for peace of mind.

Me 35, DH 36
    TTC summer 2008
    Diagnose me. DOR, DH perfect
    IUI # 1 6/2010, BFN
    IUI # 2 8/2010, BFN
    IVF # 1 10/2010 Canceled poor response
    IVF 1.2 12/2010 BFP! mc 6 weeks 2 days
    Mental health break for 10 months
    IVF # 2 10/2011 BFN
    IVF # 3 5/2012 BFP! 10 eggs retrieved (best ever)
    7 fertilized transferred 3
    Beta #1 14dpo - 72, Beta #2 17dpo 145 Beta 3 20dpo 521
    First u/s June 15 saw HB 126 bpm missed m/c 7/5/12 10 weeks D&C 7/6/12
    IVF#4 ER 9/30 ET 10/3 Beta 10/16 BFFN. IVF #5 final with o/e. ER 1/21 only 1 retrieved, hoping my lonestar is the one. Beta #1 2/6/13 = 209.... please let this be it! Keep growing lonestar! Beta #2 2/8/13 - 586! , Beta #3 2/10/13 = 1898. First u/s perfect little heart beat at 116 bpm. Measure 6 weeks 1 day. EDD 10/14/13
    3/4/13 measuring right on track beautiful heartbeat 171 bpm, graduated from RE to OB... bittersweet.
    PAIF/SAIF always welcome! Its a girl! 

Maggie Grace is here!  10/5/13... 8lbs 6 ounces of pure joy!

TTC#2  No birth control since DD was born.  Getting ready to jump back in the saddle.  Weaning this month. RE
    appt scheduled 5/8.   Here we go again!

IFV# 6.  10/27  6 retrieved 4 mature 3 fertilized.  2 made it to 3dt 10/30. 1"very pretty 8 cell" and 1 6 cell.  Beta
    11/13.   Please stick embies!!!!  We love you so much already! 11/12/14  POAS, BFP... beta tomorrow!
    11/13 beta #1  924!!!  2nd bet 11/15 1906, one more on 11/17 3rd & final beta 3430.  First u/s 12/5, 7w4d, 2 heartbeats,
    both measuring right on track....2nd u/s... all is well... both beans measuring right on track... released from RE... first
    appointment with MFM 1/5.  Looks like this is really happening!

• edited April 2014
    Totally agree with the reasoning that at this point, it's more information than anything. That being said, I wrote my RE an email this morning and they called saying something similar - basically, they thought it was a high enough that it pointed towards a healthy pregnancy, and that additional info wouldn't be really had until the ultrasound. They asked earlier that I continue progesterone, so nothing would be changed there. She said that sometimes the information does more harm than good (which, I can relate to, I AM one of those women that will obsess...but aren't most once we've been through this much already?) They said they would definitely be willing to do a second beta if it eased my mind, so I'm going to go in tomorrow. Hoping all is good. So if my original was 103 on Friday, then by tomorrow...hopefully it should be over 400? Thanks again for the responses, you ladies are the best. :)
                                         - ticker/siggy warning -

Pregnancy Ticker
  • HelsHels member
    With DD, I had 3 or 4 betas (it was beta hell). 

This current pregnancy (22 weeks now after a FET 5 day transfer) I only had one beta.  It came back at 155. RE said he didn't need to do any more.  I decided that was fine by me since I just couldn't put myself through beta hell ever again.  It's definitely not the standard approach though. 

• Very true..."beta hell" was definitely a very real possibility. Anyway, I took the chance and it came back today at 637. I'm NOT going to ask for a 3rd. :) Thanks again, it's nice to know there are all sides to this! 
                                         - ticker/siggy warning -

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"