Stay at Home Moms
Options

Party gifts question

Re: Party gifts question

• Options
    Interesting my 5 and 7 year old are wonderful at opening gifts and being gracious, yet did not have it learn this by opening gifts at parties. Weird. I would rather stick hot pokers in my eyes then watch random kids open gifts.
    Then glad you don't come to Hadley's parties because you'd be blind from the hot pokers. :) 

And you're foolish if you think I was implying (or springtime) that it's the only way to show kids to be appreciative when receiving gifts.
    And you may not be implying anything but it's annoying to hear "I took my time finding a gift the least you can do it open it in front of me" and such nonsense. Look, I appreciate you buying the gift, I really do. I'm not trying to insult you by not opening it at the party. It isn't about the gift giver. I know my kid. I'm doing what's best for her so she can enjoy the party. It has nothing to do w the gift giver.
    I also do not think it is the only way to appreciate gifts, but there is the art of graciousness as well.  They are not the same.  As one poster pointed out, her child was not into some of the gifts and was happy she didn't have to deal with it.  How else do you model and teach your child to be gracious with disappointment if they never have to do it.

Also, I am not an idiot, I recognize there are other ways to do it.  But gifts at a birthday  a perfect opportunity.

Well,honestly my kids are not into gifts at all. Like seriously they would rather spend time with their friends. In the end isn't this the best lesson? I would rather have kids that value friendships and time over gifts any day. So while you are teaching your kids to appreciate the new lightning McQueen I will teach mine that gifts are just stuff and can never ever trump time and memories with friends. You feel free to think your lesson. Is better I will think mine it. I adore my friends and they adore me not because of the gifts we provide each other but because of the times we are there for and support each other. So you are right I probably wouldn't be friends with people who think gifts are so important, they just aren't to me.
    You are so full of crap.

They are not mutually exclusive.  A child can be kind, appreciative, and gracious while also appreciating time with friends and family.  However, if those friends and family also took the time to purchase a gift for a child, as is what typically happens at birthday parties, the least that child can do is open their gift and thank them in person.  

My kid doesn't care if someone purchases him a gift. He literally jumps up and down when friends arrive at the door because he is so excited to play with them.  However, if those friends are generous enough to give him a gift, he can take a few minutes to open it and thank them for it.

The funny thing is my kids don't have to open gifts at parties to thank someone in person. You know because we don't invite strangers to our parties and my kids see them after they open gifts at home.
  • Options
    I have seen a mix of people opening and people not opening.  DS went to a preschool friend's party last week and they sent a really sweet thank you note.  They printed out pics of DS with his preschool friends at the party and a pic of the birthday kid with her gift.  (They did not open at the party) I thought that was really sweet.

April 2009
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have seen a mix of people opening and people not opening.  DS went to a preschool friend's party last week and they sent a really sweet thank you note.  They printed out pics of DS with his preschool friends at the party and a pic of the birthday kid with her gift.  (They did not open at the party) I thought that was really sweet.

Yep Dd has a friend that did this at her 2 year old party. I think it is so cute and now I copy the idea!
  • Options
    spring_timespring_time member
    edited March 2014
    Spring- I was the poster that said DD wasn't into a few of her gifts. I can teach graciousness without having to be put on the spot. Why does it always have to be so damn extreme all the time. My point all along was that I don't care if people open gifts or not. Just don't talk shit about me for choosing not to. Don't judge my family and friends bc we don't open presents at parties. The people who took a hard line were those that came out swinging about how rude it is not to open presents. I took exception to that and responded in kind.
    Which is why I said that it is just another opportunity.

The people in my life who do not open gifts are not my favorite people on earth. The people who were so strongly against opening gifts (hot poker in the eyes) are not my favorite people on this board. It was just coincidental, but I think it flavors my opinion 

Also, I don't talk shit about people who don't.  There are tons of circumstances that dictate a party.  It is just a pet peeve of mine.  

ETA clarification

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    AndrewsgalAndrewsgal member
    edited March 2014
    Spring- I was the poster that said DD wasn't into a few of her gifts. I can teach graciousness without having to be put on the spot. Why does it always have to be so damn extreme all the time. My point all along was that I don't care if people open gifts or not. Just don't talk shit about me for choosing not to. Don't judge my family and friends bc we don't open presents at parties. The people who took a hard line were those that came out swinging about how rude it is not to open presents. I took exception to that and responded in kind.
    Which is why I said that it is just another opportunity.

The people in my life who do not open gifts are not my favorite people on earth. The people who were so strongly against opening gifts (hot poker in the eyes) are not my favorite people on this board. It was just coincidental, but I think it flavors my opinion 

Also, I don't talk shit about people who don't.  There are tons of circumstances that dictate a party.  It is just a pet peeve of mine.  

the feeling is mutual. I still don't buy for one second that anyone really wants to sit around and watch and watch your special snowflake open presents but if you want to believe that more power to you.
  • Options
    amy052006 said:
    I'd be more annoyed that the menfolk were off having fun while I was stuck watching the kids and gift opening. 
    Holy christ I would be so pissed if I was expected to handle two kids, make them sit still for present opening, and my husband was off having a beer.

Um I would be having a beer with them while my hooligans who can't appreciate gifts run around. Seriously being even acquaintances with some people on this board would drive me to drink anyway. I seriously can not believe that some people think it is so important to watch their special snowflake open gifts they would make kids sit around and watch rather than play.
  • Options
    amy052006 said:
    Do the "no booze at kid's parties" people overlap with the present openers? Because I would die.

I bet $100 they do. I have a feeling there are many reasons I would never be friends with them in real life.
  • Options
    amy052006 said:
    Do the "no booze at kid's parties" people overlap with the present openers? Because I would die.
    I bet I could name a few that do. You know, the ones who would never be friends with us IRL. 
  • Options
    amy052006 said:
    I'm loling a "loot".  Because on the day of my kids' birthday party's, I wake up salivating all of the brand new and exciting plastic crap about to take over my home.  It's winning some Pixar themed lottery, I'll tell you.

Right? I would rather tell people to keep their plastic crap.
  • Options
    cjcouple said:
    nah, I open gifts, and serve booze

yes but we already know we would drink with you :)
  • Options
    Well, yes, booze is served.  How else would the adults handle sitting for 20 minutes to open gifts?

• Options
    Well, yes, booze is served.  How else would the adults handle sitting for 20 minutes to open gifts?

Yes because it was the adults we were worried about (:|
  • Options

Yes because it was the adults we were worried about (:|
    Sarcasm

• Options
    Are you still mad because no one turned against the "mean girls" when you WK hav, or because we didn't like your pizza choices? Or is this really about us all driving home with our wrapped loot?
  • Options
    LOL I love this thread so much. I'm sad I have to go parent children so I can't refresh like every two seconds.
  • Options
    Are you still mad because no one turned against the "mean girls" when you WK hav, or because we didn't like your pizza choices? Or is this really about us all driving home with our wrapped loot?
    Why would anyone turn against you and your sheep?  This is what happens.  Call me whatever you want, I will stand up for someone if I see they are being singled out week after week by the same group of people.  I would do the same for you.  I am a sucker for the underdog.

Are you serious about the pizza? I was not at all offended.  In fact, I took many of the suggestions.  It is just strange when something you consider totally normal, is considered odd by the majority.  No offense taken.

As I told another poster, my opinion is flavored by the people who I have seen in my life currently who do it.  Yes, knowing those people, I can see them driving away cackling.  This may not always be the case, but it is my experience.

• Options
    Sarcasm
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    IMO you need to open gifts or send a thank you note. I prefer when people do both but don't really care as long as they do one or the other. Doing neither is rude.

ETA: Nevermind, i see this has devolved.
  • Options
    KateMW said:

LOL I love this thread so much. I'm sad I have to go parent children so I can't refresh like every two seconds.

You're welcome. ;)
  • Options
    I have never been to a party where kids didn't open presents. I'm not even kidding, the concept is kind of mind-blowing to me.....
  • Options
    Why would anyone turn against you and your sheep?  This is what happens.  Call me whatever you want, I will stand up for someone if I see they are being singled out week after week by the same group of people.  I would do the same for you.  I am a sucker for the underdog.

Are you serious about the pizza? I was not at all offended.  In fact, I took many of the suggestions.  It is just strange when something you consider totally normal, is considered odd by the majority.  No offense taken.

As I told another poster, my opinion is flavored by the people who I have seen in my life currently who do it.  Yes, knowing those people, I can see them driving away cackling.  This may not always be the case, but it is my experience.
    So serious question...why is it OK for Hav to cuss at us but nobody can say anything to Hav? 
  • Options
    Hav=Fath said:
    I have never been to a party where kids didn't open presents. I'm not even kidding, the concept is kind of mind-blowing to me.....
    That's what I'm saying, it's all regional apparently. 

Everything we argue so hard about on here? It's all choices & what's normal for us, very rarely is any of it wrong or abnormal, just different than what we're used to. 

But it's not regional. It's just not. I went to a three year olds party in your state last year hav. No presents opened. And you are not being called on the fact you said ass, just th fact that in the past two days you have cussed at Kate and CnA and that's totally acceptable. People call you out, not cussing at you, but we are mean girls.
  • Options
    Hav=Fath said:
    KateMW said:

So serious question...why is it OK for Hav to cuss at us but nobody can say anything to Hav? 
    You guys use the F word in practically every thread... I say ass and get called out? Lovely.
    No, I have no issue with you cussing...the cussing AT everybody left and right is what I'm asking about.
  • Options

Hav=Fath said:
    letranger said:
    It's frustrating because it challenges everything you were raised to believe. Most of us experienced that in our first job or college or the first time we left where we grew up.
    Or it's frustrating because on here people talk to people in a way that doesn't happen IRL. Even the people on here who are the rudest of all? The people who are friends with them on FB or know them IRL swear they're nothing like this IRL... that's frustrating to me. 
    I can promise you that I don't sugarcoat things for my IRL friends either. I would tell somebody that they were obsessed with clothes IRL, I would tell somebody that their 1 year old "reading" cards and sitting still for gift opening was BS as well. There is no reason to blow smoke up somebody's ass, but IMO telling somebody to kiss your ass is just as bad or worse than anything I've said to anybody. I might not be as "nice" as you would like for me to be, but I very rarely, cuss AT somebody. That's just plain rude. If the board is getting too you so much that you are having to change your personality, maybe you should take a break. Or maybe you should just admit this is your personality and move on...
  • Options
    AndrewsgalAndrewsgal member
    edited March 2014
    Hav=Fath said:
    letranger said:
    It's frustrating because it challenges everything you were raised to believe. Most of us experienced that in our first job or college or the first time we left where we grew up.
    Or it's frustrating because on here people talk to people in a way that doesn't happen IRL. Even the people on here who are the rudest of all? The people who are friends with them on FB or know them IRL swear they're nothing like this IRL... that's frustrating to me. 

So you have actually talked to people that are friends with others here in real life? Do tell please, because I call BS. Honestly I am not near as brash in real life but I choose to surround myself with open minded, educated people. People that are ten times more laid back than people on here. My friends don't care if we open presents, my kids eat pouches...etc.
  • Options
    Hmmm....I wasn't going to open this thread earlier but got back on and it has a million posts? Holy moly.

I've only been to two kids parties haha-

One for a two year old - he opened presents, maybe only 15 or so, adults and kids sat around, walked around, continued to play, etc.

The second was a very large, entire extended family, first birthday party. They did not open presents because there were a TON. Part of my gift was even handmade for the birthday girl and it didn't bother me one bit that they didn't open it.

Last year for DSs first birthday, he opened presents. But it was just immediate family, so maybe...6-7 gifts?

It surprises me so much that this is such a hot topic lol.

Personally I like the gift opening, but I understand why some don't. Doesn't really bother me either way. ::shrugs::

Booze at birthday parties all the way.
  • Options
    Hav=Fath said:
    CnAmom said:
    Well you have gone from saying things like "oh my stars" to being really nasty seemingly overnight. Maybe she's concerned that you have been body snatched or something.
    I didn't realize saying "screw you" when someone was being rude to you or saying "kiss my ass" when someone else was being rude to you was all that horrible. I'm not proud of saying either of those things, I've been having a very hard couple weeks AND I'm PMS'ing, I'm not proud but this board is tough. 
    Are you really saying you didn't realize basically telling us to go to hell was rude? Oh FFS, now I know we're being punked. That's BS and you know it. We've now entered the "Innocent Hav" part of the thread.
  • Options
    5 pages about opening presents at a party? Tl;dr

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hav=Fath said:
    Hav=Fath said:
    That's what I'm saying, it's all regional apparently. 

Everything we argue so hard about on here? It's all choices & what's normal for us, very rarely is any of it wrong or abnormal, just different than what we're used to. 

But it's not regional. It's just not. I went to a three year olds party in your state last year hav. No presents opened. And you are not being called on the fact you said ass, just th fact that in the past two days you have cussed at Kate and CnA and that's totally acceptable. People call you out, not cussing at you, but we are mean girls.
    Half the people say none of the parties they attend have kids opening the gifts. The other half are saying that all the parties have kids opening gifts. How can you say it's not regional? 
    It isn't regional. Half the parties I go to they open presents, half of them they don't. It varies dependent on age of the kids involved, venue, etc.  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
  • Options
    eaglesfan700eaglesfan700 member
    edited March 2014
    Hav=Fath said:
    letranger said:

I have said that @amy052006 is so nice IRL, but I never said she was nothing like she is on here. She is every bit the judgy bitch she is on here, and I love her for it
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Options
    Hav=Fath said:
    Hav=Fath said:
    CnAmom said:
    Well you have gone from saying things like "oh my stars" to being really nasty seemingly overnight. Maybe she's concerned that you have been body snatched or something.
    I didn't realize saying "screw you" when someone was being rude to you or saying "kiss my ass" when someone else was being rude to you was all that horrible. I'm not proud of saying either of those things, I've been having a very hard couple weeks AND I'm PMS'ing, I'm not proud but this board is tough. 
    Are you really saying you didn't realize basically telling us to go to hell was rude? Oh FFS, now I know we're being punked. That's BS and you know it. We've now entered the "Innocent Hav" part of the thread.
    Where did I say go to hell? I said screw you once and kiss my ass once. I am not playing innocent, but don't put words in my mouth.
    Kiss My Ass is a slightly nicer version of Go To Hell. Everybody knows that.
  • Options
    PS this thread is fantastic and I am drunk

I am insanely jealous.
  • Options
    Hav=Fath said:
    5 pages about opening presents at a party? Tl;dr
    No it turned into the regular bickering that it normally does. Not worth reading though. Like normal.
    Unless you're into seeing people call Hav out for cussing at us. 
  • Options

I am insanely jealous.

Soon, AG, very soon! How are you feeling?
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Options
    So, the order is Kiss My Ass, then Go To Hell, then Fuck You? Do I have that right?

It's all so confusing.
  • Options

I am insanely jealous.

Soon, AG, very soon! How are you feeling?

Good but still pregnant.
  • Options

See, I was trying to figure out if it was regional (b/c the locations weren't making sense) or socio-economic (but then how would someone see half and half?) but haven't been able to figure it out. 

Maybe we need to make an info-graphic. 
    Time for a pie chart. Mmmm, pie...
  • Options
    Well it can't be totally regional because I have been to kid parties in VA and they did not open presents since have lives in that state that throws the regional thing out.
  • Options
    auroraloo said:
    It's not regional. I've never been to a party where they don't open presents. Apparently DW doesn't open presents. I don't give a fuck what you do.

It confuses me when hav love tits people who prove her wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"