June 2013 Moms

Possibly flu? What next?

Ryanswifey619Ryanswifey619 member
edited March 2014 in June 2013 Moms
J has been super fussy today, she was running a temp of 102, so I gave her some baby ibuprofen, and it's been sitting around 99/100 now. We gave her a warm bath and she shivered the entire time. I have her a little more ibuprofen and have her bundled up in blankets on my chest now. What's the best way to beat this quickly and make her as comfy as possible? Thanks ladies

Edited to add that even now, I pulled the blanket back a little cause she's burning up on her back and sweating. She doesn't have a runny nose or cough that we have noticed.

Re: Possibly flu? What next?

• My only advice would be to alternate between Tylenol and Advil and make sure you give her a full dose based on her weight. Hope she feels better!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't think you are supposed to alternate between Tylenol and Advil unless one isn't working. DD ran a fever for a couple of days. It kept going down with Tylenol so I stuck with that. I only needed to give her a full dose every 6 hours. I kept her in a thin footed PJ because she spent most of the day snuggled with me. I also avoided baths because I think it can make it harder for them to regulate their body temp.

• Loading the player...
  • Tylenol. I only alternate if the Tylenol isn't working. If you give her a bath, it should be luke warm. I wouldn't bundle her up at all. The shivering is how the body is trying to regulate her temp. It can cause other problems bundling her up. When I worked at an ER, people always wanted to bundle and the blankets were the first things to go when there was a temp involved. If you really want to have a blanket on her, do no heavier than a light sheet and light clothes.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our pediatrician told us not to alternate unless one isn't bringing down the fever. Ds1 had roseola this past summer with a temperature of 104+ that barely budged with meds so at that time we did alternate per the doctor. Sounds like maybe she has
    a virus. Id keep her lightly covered and not really bundled up. I think if the meds are brining it down to 99/100 it is fine. Hope she feels better!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sorry! Guess I had older advice. Hope she's feeling better!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Agree with PP.  Stick with one and if it's not working or lasting the entire time between doses, you can alternate.  If you do alternate, be super careful and keep track of which medicine you're using and the times.  

If she doesn't have a lot of other symptoms, it definitely could be flu - if you have an urgent care that can test for flu, it may be worth going in today.  If it's flu, you can start Tamiflu within 48 hours of symptoms.  While it won't "cure" the flu, it'll shorten the duration a few days.

GL hope LO feels better soon! 
  • Ditto @kelly422‌ Also, keep up with the fluids and food. Fevers burn up a lot of calories and can dehydrate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"