February 2013 Moms
Options

Pregnancy and surgery

I found out that I am going to need surgery on my vocal cords this summer. Then I will be on voice rest until the school year starts up again. ( I am a teacher.) anyways my DH and I were thinking of trying for our second child over the summer, but we have June and July to try to get it done. After that we will have to wait because is July 2015 we will be traveling for my sil wedding. My surgery will not be until July...so here is my question, it is ok to have surgery a few weeks into being pregnet? I am going to speak to my doctor in May when I go and get Clomid and see what she says.

Re: Pregnancy and surgery

• Options
    My Dr wouldn't take my tonsils out while pregnant. She said (claimed? Not sure if it's true) that anesthesia is dangerous to the developing featus. But she might just be bullshitting me too. :) but at my age, as necessary as removal is, it's not critical.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    I know nothing medical FYI, but I wouldn't mix the two. Can you bump up your surgery a bit?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kleigh926kleigh926 member
    edited March 2014
    Anesthesia can be harmful to a developing baby. I believe there are safe anesthesias that can be used during pregnancy but it probably depends on the procedure you're having done and your anesthesiologist would definitely need to know that.

Why do you think you will need Clomid? Fertility drugs shouldn't be taken so that you can get pregnant within a certain timeframe.... Do you have a history of infertility?

ETA: I'm an RN and work in a surgical services department where we are required to have women of childbearing age either be tested for pregnancy or sign a waiver before they can be given anesthesia.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Options
    I have Pcos, so I do have infertility. I was on clomid before and was lucky to get my son.
  • Options
    I see. I also have PCOS and needed Clomid to have DD, so I understand. There's a lot of misinformation out there about Clomid so I just thought I'd ask :)

Anyway, I would not mix pregnancy and surgery unless there is a known safe anesthesia that can be used. There very well may be, but you'd have to check ahead of time. Good luck!
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Options
    I don't know much. But my csection was with general, and I know they had to rush together dd out because of it.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mix the two.  We were trying for DS3 when I found out I needed foot surgery.  We asked the surgeon when it was safe to start trying again and he said about 2 weeks after as long as I wasn't still on pain meds.  Best to get those out of your system before trying.
    Samuel  2.26.06 41w ASD/ADHD
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
    Silas  1.25.13 35.4w 10 days NICU, allergies/asthma, gluten intolerant

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"