Preemies
Options

29 week old baby girl and desats/tummy problem

This has been an emotional roller coaster having my baby girl, Gianna, at 26 weeks. I took care of myself carefully and have guilt because I keep trying to figure out why she was so early. They found nothing wrong with either of us. She has days when she is doing good and days when she is not doing her best. This has been so overwhelming, but he support from my husband, friends, and family has been helping us. Yesterday I got worried because she didn't have stool and her belly was hard and high. The doctors ran an x ray and assured me that nothing is wrong with her. I just don't understand why she has yellow green vile coming out of her feeding tube after she was doing so well the first week. She stooled and was up to 18 CC's of feeding. I feel so sad because she took steps back instead of going forward. I am hoping for her to get better soon. The doctors told my husband and I that she is doing great and it is normal for a preemie to have digestive problems. I guess I feel anxious and nervous about her. Is all of this normal? Anyone have their baby going through something similar?

Re: 29 week old baby girl and desats/tummy problem

• Options
    KTZ17KTZ17 member
    My DD had green bile for 3 or 4 days when she was first born and they had the tube removing it. I honestly did not understand what was going on at all, all I knew was they wouldn't let her have any breast milk until it cleared up, which it did without any sort of treatment. I don't know if she was passing bowel movements because I was so out of it the first day or two and I didn't know what I should be asking. But it can resolve itself, as it did in my daughter's case. I agree with PP though you should keep asking questions.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    My daughter had it too for a few days. She ended up being fine but I agree with pp. Ask as many durations as you need to and if something doesn't feel right, pursue it.

Beckett Rilee & Caitlyn Leigh born 9-21-13 @ 27w due to PPROM

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the great ideas. She doesn't have green vile today, but has a raised belly after she takes the 1 cc of breastmilk. They wait for her belly to soften and then feed her again. They seem on top of things.
  • Options
    Gsk4874Gsk4874 member
    edited April 2014
    Make sure they keep a close eye out for NEC!! My twins were born at 32 weeks, twin A had a big tummy..they did a lot of X-rays a and uktrasounds all came back normal after 2 months in the NICU they sent her home. 3 weeks later she started throwing up all her feedings, I took her to the ER and she had a blockage, she had emergency surgery and had her right colon removed, she got very sick after her surgey and fought hard for her life, dr didn't think she was going to make it but after 2 months she came with a osteomy. She will need one more surgey in June. I'm not telling you this to scare you but NEC is treatable with antibiotics if found right away, they think my daughter always had it that's why she got so sick. If they would have caught it at the first hospital it would have never got to the point it did.
  • Options
    DrRxDrRx member
    My daughter was a 26-weeker, and she had some of that green bile a few times.  The NICU is a roller coaster, with some good days and bad days.  The best advice I got was that it is a marathon and not a sprint, and to not play the "what if" game.  Don't worry about what may happen--deal with it if it does happen and otherwise focus on the positives instead.  It's amazing what you can find being a positive--gaining 10grams, tolerating a feed, needing less Os for a period of time. 

NEC is definitely something to be concerned about, but it sounds like your team is being very proactive and addressing it immediately.  As PP said, let the neos do their job and they will let you know if you should be worried.  In fact, ask them "How concerned should I be about this?" if you want to know the answer. 

We had a NEC scare, which thankfully didn't turn out to be anything and we were able to continue along our journey.  Being a parent of a micro-preemie is hard, since so many of these complications don't happen to many people.  Hang in there.
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    gcamacho0816gcamacho0816 member
    edited April 2014
    They have been testing her for infection and to take precautions they had her on antibiotics for a week. She is back on 2 cc's of beastmilk, but the doctor says that she has gas in her belly and it could be seen from the x rays done. She has no green vile coming back up after feeding. They said that the CPAP could be causing the extended and hard belly. I am definitely going to try to ask " how concerned should I be about this" so that I can receive feedback from the doctors or nurses. It may help me to worry less. Thank you again for getting back to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"