April 2013 Moms

Nagging

I need some suggestions. H and I got into an argument last night because he doesn't pick up after himself. He isn't a dirty person, but he always leaves stuff on the living room floor that I have to pick up in a hurry in the morning before Logan gets into it. (Empty cans, water glasses, wrappers, etc.) I nicely asked him to pick up the living room before he went to bed and he only picked up part of it. So I had to ask him to pick up the rest and he freaked out. He threw the cans on the floor and stormed off to bed like a five year old.

I am not perfect. I am more messy than him. But I clean up my mess. I know this is a minor issue in marriage and it could be so much worse. I am just so overwhelmed with getting housework and clutter caught up now that I'm feeling better. I clean up after myself and Logan all day. I don't need to clean up after him too. I feel like I'm cleaning the same things over and over again and can never make it to my extra stuff.

Sorry I got rambly. My question is, how can I get him to do something without nagging? Right now my options are 1) Do it myself, 2) Ask him once to do it, wait for days and eventually do it myself, 3) Don't ask at all, eventually do it myself, or 4) Nag him until he does it himself.

I flat out asked him what I'm supposed to do. He said he didn't know. I told him I hate to nag, but I don't feel it's fair I have to do whatever he didn't do, on top of all I'm doing already. And I told him I wished he would just do it on his own without being asked.

Suggestions? Please.
Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

Re: Nagging

• I would get a big bin and throw all his shit in there that he doesn't clean up. He can sort through it himself...not helpful and will probably escalate the situation but it doesn't sound fair to you
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My H was horrible about picking up after himself when we first moved in together. He left a trail of clothes from the door to his closet every day! I tried many things and got very frustrated. The discussion that finally worked was when he understood that when he didn't pick it up, it made me feel like he thought it was my job to pick up after him. He still isn't a neat person, but it's gotten much better since then.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• edited March 2014
    My guy does the same thing but is slowly getting better. When he leaves his stuff out I put it all in one pile on the dining room table where he keeps his car keys and cell phone. Yes it takes effort for me to pick it up and a few more steps and I could have it in the trash. But when he sees it piled up near his own stuff he realizes how annoying it is. I also got sick of asking and this didn't solve it completely but he has gotten a little better. Good luck I know it's an uphill battle
  • edited March 2014
    Thanks for the responses so far.

I'm hoping to see an improvement after our discussion last night. I did the best I could to explain why I was frustrated and upset.

He is frustrated because he feels like I jump all over him when he gets home from a long day and ask him to do a bunch of stuff.

It's not just a glass and some cans. It's the jogging stroller he brought in and left in the kitchen instead of putting it on the back porch. (I left it outside because it's heavy and our back porch is full so I need someone to lift it over stuff to get it into its spot and our house is too small, 900 square feet, for it to sit somewhere inside. He was mad because it got snowed on.) It's the junk mail he left on the living room floor for over a week after saying he would clean it up in a minute. I ended up throwing it all away. Hope nothing was important. It's the random shit I need his help with, but he's too tired and just wants to relax. So it piles up. It's the boxes he doesn't take out on trash day that pile up and other random stuff that needs to go out.
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• I also decided this morning that I'm only going to clean the kitchen and living room once a day, at night after Logan goes to bed. I'm, literally, in the kitchen for at least two hours a day cooking and cleaning. I might go crazy.
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• That's not nagging... it's just... being a parent?! There should just be an understanding, a "house rule" that certain baby zones are cleaned up each night before bed. Men... honestly... how is this hard?!
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • tondraluvtondraluv member
    edited March 2014
    CanukMam said:
    I would get a big bin and throw all his shit in there that he doesn't clean up. He can sort through it himself...not helpful and will probably escalate the situation but it doesn't sound fair to you

I am a huge nagger and I've had to do this to my husbands crap in the room. He doesn't listen when I ask him nicely so he leaves me no choice. Plus it forces him to clean up when he's looking for something he needs.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Clothes on the floor is one thing... Cans and glasses on the living room floor? Wtf?! I can't even imagine how / why that would happen.

I like the idea of putting it all in a bin. But it is ridiculous that you have to even do that.

Our endless issue is dishes in the sink - drives me nuts. Why not just put them in the dishwasher?! However I decided it was one of those "pick your battles" things so I just deal with it.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I was going to say ... the baby's safety is more important than how tired he is after coming home from work. If he'd put it away when he was done, then this would be a non-issue. Sure, we're all guilty of leaving stuff lying around every once in a while, but you don't want LO to get hurt to prove a point, you know?

I'm glad y'all had a talk. Hopefully it helps him to realize it's more a safety issue than a nagging one.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Put it all on his side of the bed every day until he gets it

Exactly what I was going to say! But make sure you out all of it under the sheet!
  • doeie04 said:

I also decided this morning that I'm only going to clean the kitchen and living room once a day, at night after Logan goes to bed. I'm, literally, in the kitchen for at least two hours a day cooking and cleaning. I might go crazy.

I usually straighten up during the day but do one big clean once the kids are in bed. If not I drive myself crazy trying to constantly clean behind three messy ppl.

I see nothing wrong with nagging. It's not your job to clean up after him. If all else fails I agree with throw his stuff at him or away.

• So far tonight he's been better.

To make matters worse, I have company coming over and just found out they will be here tomorrow instead of Thursday. :( There is no way I can get my stuff done by then. Oh well. I'll just prioritize and hope for the best. :(
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• megandscott07megandscott07 member
    edited March 2014
    My husband is OCD like PP so I have the opposite problem, I am harassed for the junk drawer being 'too messy' and my dishes are washed before I'm even done eating...ugh. However I do have to nag my husband to help me with things like babyproofing...I start out asking nicely and after 3 months of asking I get a little annoyed...then he whines that I'm 'yelling at him.' Men...they are so annoying!!

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"