2nd Trimester
Options

pregnancy anemia

I had a checkup this week and was discussing with my midwife how tired I still feel.  She decided to order some blood tests and come to find out I am anemic, which explains my chronic fatigue as well as easily getting out of breath (something to do with oxygen and iron?).  I have to research that one. The midwife/doctor's office told me to take a slow release iron supplement.  I'm just curious if anyone else is taking an iron supplement and which brand?  Also, how long did it take to get your energy back once you started the supplement?  Thanks!

Re: pregnancy anemia

• Options
    PalanPalan member
    I am there too, just taking the Walgreen's version of SlowFe. Also trying to increase iron rich foods and fluid.
  • Options
    Another tidbit for you... Vitamin C helps with iron absorption. I've only read/heard that in the context of foods (not supplements), but something to consider as you adjust your diet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just started taking my iron supplement, I decided to first try the liquid form (floradix, kinda pricey I think) with orange juice since I was told by my midwife it doesn't constipate, so far so good, just a little annoying to separate the two doses, my prenatal and foods with calcium (since it inhibits iron absorption) I might consider doing the pill form some days and liquid others. I haven't felt my energy is better but it's only been 4 days
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                                        Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I was anemic with DD and found out at my 10 week OB appointment.

My OB recommended Slow FE brand. It's expensive, so if you can get a generic, I'd go that route. I also jacked up my iron consumption. I'm not a huge fan of meat, but found that many cereals gave me more bang for my buck.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"