3rd Trimester
Options

Sex to induce labor

I was wondering if it was the act of sex that could help put you in labor, or is it that the sperm can help soften cervix, or is it the orgasm. Because sex doesn't sound so appealing right now, but I have a vibrator. And if using that gets the same effect, then I'd use that. I'm 39 weeks and just curious about this. Thanks!

Re: Sex to induce labor

• Options
    I believe it's both your orgasm and the semen - orgasm releases oxytocin (I think) and the semen has prostaglandins .  It may not help but it sure won't hurt.  I think it has helped soften and move my dilation along but it hasn't sent me into labor.  I'm 40+2. 
  • Options

It will help if your body is ready.

This.

More specifically, it's the prostaglandins in the sperm that can help soften the cervix. The motion & orgasm can help move baby into position (much like walking & yoga ball).

It's the last thing that was appealing to me, but it put me over both times I think.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    apmomapmom member
    It didn't work for me, but good luck!! :)
  • Options

It will help if your body is ready.

Yep.
    I tried everything under the sun to help speed things up but my body definitely had its own timeline! I was 2 cm dialate from 37 weeks until the night I went in for an induction at 41 weeks. If you're not ready, it won't help.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I tried, but other than some more extreme Braxton-Hicks no labour here.  I'm totally in the mood for sex, but the actual act is a little uncomfortable.  
  • Options
    It worked for me the first time. Second was repeat c-sec and the third will be as well. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker

• Options
    This sounds like a fun experiment to do, either way...

The orgasm will for sure cause contractions. Whether they get labour started, who knows. Can't hurt, right?
  • Options

It didn't help me much either with my first child.... I was 2 wks past due..lol

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Worked for my friend. He OH begged and pleaded to try it and she agreed to try it after she'd peed. Her water broke seconds later as she stood up to go to the bathroom :))

Didn't work for me but it was fun trying!
  • Options
    The nurse I saw recently in triage says its really can help.  There is something in the sperm that acts to soften/dilate the cervix as well as something in organism that can start contractions.
  • Options
    So far no luck with us :-/
  • Options
    You need more sex than you can imagine to give birth and it will happen only if your body is ready.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"