Houston Babies

Moving to Houston

Hi ladies,

My husband and I just found out we are moving to Houston in the next few weeks. Can any recommend any areas of town to live in and doctors?

He will be working near Reliant Park.

Thanks girls!

Re: Moving to Houston

• Hi, I am not sure if y'all are wanting to live right in the city or more out in the suburbs. Houston is huge. I don't know too much about nice areas right in the city. Kingwood, The woodlands, Spring are all really nice suburbs. Where are you loving from and what kind of lifestyle do you live? Do you like to be right in the middle of everything or put of the traffic?
  • All we keep hearing is how bad the traffic is and how we should be within the loops. My husband will be working near Reliant so he would like to be as close to that as possible. He is not looking for a big commute. We have heard of The Woodlands, but not the other two. I will definitely check those areas out. Thanks!

Any recommendations on a doctor? 

• Loading the player...
  • The woodlands is not in the loop. If you don't want much of a commute definitely look in the loop only. Sorry Houston is huge I'm really far from that are so I'm no help. GL
  • I live in Kingwood and love it. The commute isn't too terrible. Highway 59 doesn't have the traffic that highway 45 has. Avoid 45 at all costs. I love Dr. Ball at OBGYN Associates. The hospital is right next to Reliant Stadium. They deliver at Women's
    Hospital of Texas.
  • Great, thank you for the advice. We should be there May 1st! 
  • The 'Heights' in Houston is real hot right now. Of course there is always the Galleria, which is $$$$. Otherwise on the outskirts of Houston, Cinco Ranch, Katy, Sugarland have recently been ranked in the top 10 cities for best "liveability" in the US. Pearland also is booming with lots of new homes and new growth.
  • Any recommendations on doctors? 
  • The women's pavilion at Texas children's is great. Check them out.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • Jklein,

I am a Realtor here in Houston. Sugar Land, Katy will be your best bet Very family friendly.

Let me know if you need any help as I would love to help you.

Melissa Salies

melissa.salies@kw.com

• We currently live in the reliant area and would be happy to help.  Are you looking to rent or buy?  Anything in the city is going to be more expensive but also more convenient, especially in dealing with traffic.  There are plenty of nice apartment complexes in the medical center area or greenway area that are close to reliant.  I also really like the heights - it's a little further from reliant but definitely doable.  You could also buy a nice condo in the city which would be much cheaper than a house in a nice neighborhood.  If you're wanting a house, you'll get way more for your money in the suburbs but also have to battle traffic in and out of the city each day.  For the reliant area, I would look into Missouri City, Stafford, Sugarland, or Pearland, with Sugarland probably being the farthest out but also the nicest.

As for a doctor, I went with one at the Baylor College of Medicine (https://www.bcm.edu/departments/obstetrics-and-gynecology/) and delivered at the Texas Children's Hospital Pavillion for Women, which is also where the doctor's office is.  It's really nice and new and close to reliant.

Hope this helps!  Let me know if you have other questions.
  • JKleinJKlein member
    Thank you ladies! We arrived yesterday and are trying to organize our life a bit before we start looking at places to rent. Thank you for all the suggestions!
  • ajhambajhamb member
    Good luck making Houston your home! We have found it such a live-able city (we've been here for ~3 yrs)... 

We are basically allergic to commutes, so we in Rice Village and the husband bikes 2 mi to work and my drive to downtown is 8 min door to door. The real estate market has gotten SO crazy over the past few years, but they seem to be over-building apartments inside the loop, so renting an aptmt or house might be a good option until the mkt cools back down?

Best of luck in the search for a place!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"