3rd Trimester

3 hour glucose test, Is there a way not to be stuck with a needle 4 times?

cstan663cstan663 member
edited March 2014 in 3rd Trimester
My 1-hour test was high at 170 but I think I messed it up because I ate a sugary cereal for breakfast that morning. I managed to make it through the test this time but they wan't me to go in for the 3 hour test. I am terrified of getting hurt by people and to get a shot or a needle put in my arm tends to bring on a violent response. My body starts shaking and I start having a panic attack and sometimes end up hyperventilating. It takes all the control I have to be able to sit through one prick and I have been kicked out of several blood draws because they consider it too dangerous for both parties to draw my blood. I don't want to put my baby or I through that type of stress and going through this process over and over again 4 times seems impossible. So has anyone taken this test where they can just stick you once and draw the blood out from the same spot over the hours or use an iv to draw the blood so you only need to be stuck once?

Re: 3 hour glucose test, Is there a way not to be stuck with a needle 4 times?

• You need to ask your doctor this.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got poked 5 times because she couldnt find a vein. Mine didnt hurt though and I had 3 pokes in the same vein. My lab person was awesome though and I didnt feel any of them.

27 y/o - Dx with PCOS 7/10/13 - Started on Metformin 8/26/13.

BFP - 11/19/13      EDD - 7/18/14

Anniversary 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Your baby can't be harmed by stress. You can ask them to use small needles or even a pediatric needle. That might help.

This is something you need to consult with your doctor about. You made it through the one draw- the rest aren't worse.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• You could also ask about embla (?!) cream (I can't remember the name.) They use it in pediatrics. Its a cream that numbs the area where they put the needle. I've had it once before (when I was in a children's hospital YEARS ago) and I didn't feel a thing. Maybe knowing you won't feel it will help you avoid a panic attack? 

But yea, ask your doctor and make it clear that this is a huge phobia that causes panic attacks. It needs to be done somehow. 
    BabyFruit Ticker mean_girls_35345
  • MizooMizoo member
    I'm not sure if this was just a fluke for me, but the needles they used when I took the 3 hour test seemed much smaller than needles used for standard draws.  I have small veins that roll often, and it typically takes more than one stick each time I need to get blood taken.  3 out of the 4 draws for my glucose test they got on the first try (I think it was because of the smaller needles!)

I agree with PPs though, if it's that big of a concern then ask your doctor what your options are.  If you do end up diabetic though, I don't think there is any way around taking your blood sugar readings so it might be a good idea to look into getting your anxiety under control instead of trying to minimize needle pricks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had six draws for my three-hour back in 2011. Four normal draws and two re-sticks (one for faulty vacutainer, another for a blown vein). A three-hour test requires a baseline and hourly draws. I don't see any way around that unless you decline the test outright and just go on the GD diet.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Thank you everyone for your advice even though like usual my phobia isn't understood. I'm not afraid of needles and I'm well aware that they don't really hurt my mind understands this. My phobia is giving someone else the control to harm me, even though I know it's not particularly painful. It's like how most people are terrified of spiders or bees how even if the spider isn't poisonous and won't bite you there is no way you could actually let it crawl all over your skin without freaking out. 
  • I totally understand. I've had many panic attacks getting blood drawn. Ended up in the ER once over it. Such a mess!! Sadly I don't think there is any other way to take the 3 hour test. You could possibly ask to retake the 1 hour test? But that still leaves you with a chance of needing the 3 hour. I can't imagine the sugary cereal helped :/
    Good luck. Try and breath and t
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • OP you have what's known as vaso response. I have it and it's very real and often misunderstood as a fear vs a physical, uncontrollable response by your body to certain medical procedures.

Unfortunately there's a lot of stuff you can't avoid when you're pregnant so talk with your doctor and team. They should make sure you're well hydrated and draw your blood laying down. You need to stay laying down for up to 20 minutes. The reason you panic is because your blood pressure has dropped and this will help.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Definitely talk with your doctor. If your problem is having someone else do the draw, you may be able to ask your doctor to allow you to test your sugars at home for 1-2 weeks as an alternative to the 3hour test. That would require you to prick your fingers about 3-4 times a day. 

I didn't have to do it, but I discussed this with my doctor, who agreed to it in case I needed the 3 hour test. I have had a 4 hour GTT 3 other times in my life. I have terrible veins and the test is really awful for me, and whoever gets to try to draw my blood. 

Also, you should discuss your concerns about this in general with your doc to see if you can get some help to get it under control for the future.

Good luck.
  • The thing is, there's nothing to "get under control" because it's not a conscious decision.  It's like saying "Oh, you bleed when you're cut?  You should get that under control."  For us it's a physical reaction and all you can do it try to work the issue as it happens to keep the fallout to a minimum.  I know it's hard for people to understand because they genuinely think we get scared or work ourselves up but it's not that.

OP, I forgot to mention that laying on your left side during your draw can also help.

• For my three hour they put a IV port in my arm and then hooked up the vacutainer for each draw. Only had to get stuck once that way.
  • I had to do this and I have a huge fear of needles. Everytime I go to get my blood drawn I ask for the smallest needle they have and tell them I have a fear of needles. The small ones don't hurt bad at all.
  • Well, the OP hasn't been back to clarify whether she has a vaso response or not. Honestly, if that is what she had and she explained that in her OP, perhaps some of the subsequent posts would have been less harsh. 

Regardless of the reason she has an issue w/ blood draws - it is something as an adult, especially a pregnant one, that you have to deal w/. That may mean different things for different people, but still you can't just not do it or always have it done a special way. 

See but your addition of the word adult still tells me that you think it's a fear. Yes you absolutely can and should have blood draws performed in a "special way" when the alternative is plummeting blood pressure that can lead to fainting. That isn't safe or smart. The op may not even know there's a name for this. It took years before a doctor understood that I am not "just afraid" and having someone understand that makes a huge difference.

• @LalaMama81 Did you actually read that Mayo Clinic link that was posted above? If the OP is having a vaso response, she legitimately isn't going to be able to avoid the response unless she avoids the triggers.

Since OP says her actual fear is the giving up of power/control and being vulnerable to harm from others, I'm not sure it is a vaso response. The physical symptoms, maybe, but it sounds like something that is anxiety based and coping methods can be learned for that. OP, you really need to speak to your doctor and maybe also consider seeing a therapist about this phobia if you haven't already.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you for your support and understanding but It is not a Vaso reaction it is a psychological one that with therapy I have yet to be able to get under control. I have a phobia of being hurt that steams from almost being murdered as a child. (Yes i know this sounds melodramatic but it happened.) I can sometimes get through a blood draw with a lot of focus and relaxing techniques but i have a very strong fight or flight reaction that leads to panic attacks, and having to go through that 4 times is really pushing how much I can cope with my bodies reaction to being harmed by another person. It doesn't matter than I know it doesn't hurt and I could easily stick myself with a needle just as long as another person doesn't do it. That is why a lot of people don't understand because i just here "But it's a small needle it won't hurt."  But it does mean that I am giving up control to allow someone to cause me harm and my mind and body fight this.

I have been working on coping with this but it is a slow process and not something that just goes away or can be easily fixed. I wanted to know if anyone has done the test and didn't need to be stuck 4 times. Thankfully my therapist and I aren't as concerned about labor as the pain comes from my own body, and that trying a natural birth would probably be a good option for me. Thank you for all of your responses.
  • Vaso responses aren't about it hurting or a fear of needles either. FYI. 

• What it comes down to is there may be a way to stick you just once, but nobody here can tell you. You need to ask your dr/the lab. Even if I worked something out with my lab yours may not be set up to or willing to do the same thing.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • cstan663 said:

Thank you everyone for your advice even though like usual my phobia isn't understood. I'm not afraid of needles and I'm well aware that they don't really hurt my mind understands this. My phobia is giving someone else the control to harm me, even though I know it's not particularly painful. It's like how most people are terrified of spiders or bees how even if the spider isn't poisonous and won't bite you there is no way you could actually let it crawl all over your skin without freaking out. 

I am trying to be sympathetic, are you in therapy? What in the world are you going to do in labor?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Why do people feel the need to criticize her for having a phobia? It seems like most of y'all haven't even read her posts.
  • I'm sorry this is such a huge issue. I hope you can find a way to make it easier! Panic attacks, phobias, ect can be so debilitating and sadly are very misunderstood even by people in the medical field. I've gotten a lot of idiotic responses about my fear of needles during my pregnancy. Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • OP, you may have given up on this post as you didn't get a lot of help. As a couple have mentioned, there is an IV port option, but that is usually done through an infusion or oncology department. similarly, you can ask for a butterfly needle. It's is basically a regular lab needle (so smaller than an IV needle) but attached to a thin tube that then flows the blood into the blood tube. I would speak to the lab supervisor where you are getting drawn, to see if they can stick you once and leave the needle in, using IV or butterfly tubing to access blood each subsequent hour. This may be against their policy though. Good luck!
    image image BabyFruit Ticker First Jelly Bean EDD Jan 26 2014 - 1 day before MY birthday!
  • Beckel84 said:
    OP, you may have given up on this post as you didn't get a lot of help. As a couple have mentioned, there is an IV port option, but that is usually done through an infusion or oncology department. similarly, you can ask for a butterfly needle. It's is basically a regular lab needle (so smaller than an IV needle) but attached to a thin tube that then flows the blood into the blood tube. I would speak to the lab supervisor where you are getting drawn, to see if they can stick you once and leave the needle in, using IV or butterfly tubing to access blood each subsequent hour. This may be against their policy though. Good luck!
    Yes, ports are done usually through an infusion or oncology department. I work in lab both running tests and occasionally drawing blood. I can say that at least here, we do not start IV's or draw from them. The nurses deal with the IVs. We only do venipunctures. Also, speaking purely from where I work, we would not able to put a butterfly needle in and leave it in to do 4 blood draws. It wouldn't be a catheter like an IV would, any movement could make the needle come out, or blow the vein. Risk for infection plus risk of exposure to anyone that could be around if the needle came out would be a big no no. 

As it has been previously suggested, I think for you OP the best option would be to get an IV port and they can draw all the labs through the one port. Only 1 stick that way. It might take special arrangements, but you would just need to work that out ahead of time with the doctor and lab.
  • It starts to sound a lot easier and more reasonable to just get a glucometer and measure your sugar for a couple of weeks!
  • Why do people feel the need to criticize her for having a phobia? It seems like most of y'all haven't even read her posts.
    Um, I didn´t criticize for her having a phobia. I realize phobias are real. Vaso responses are also real, which I have. Maybe at first I misread her saying "terrified to get a shot or needle" as a fear response to the needle itself, which is a common phobia and absolutely NOTHING to criticize about.  8-|
  • Just ask your doctor if you can get the monitor and follow the diet. I did this last time because I really didn't have the time for the test and its not like the diet is going to hurt you.
  • Kimbus22 said:
    Why do people feel the need to criticize her for having a phobia? It seems like most of y'all haven't even read her posts.
    I really didn't see anyone criticizing OP.  Just the responder insisting it's a vaso response criticizing the rest of us for suggesting therapy and coping mechanisms since needles are pretty damned hard to avoid in the pregnancy/birth process.
    I'll own it :)  The OP came back and said it's not vaso so I was wrong.  I came across strongly because it sounded like the OP had it and so many people don't know what it is or that it's a real thing.  I was trying to help her and didn't realize she had already ruled it out.  It's hard to deal with and people think there's something you can do to fix it and you can't.  That's all I was saying - there is literally nothing you can do to stop it and it makes life hard, especially when people insist it's something you can improve with therapy (i.e. "it's a mental thing")  But like I said, I was wrong in the OP's case and I own it but I wasn't criticizing people - I was defending the condition.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"