Breastfeeding
Options

BM from a sippy cup

First, I apologize this is a bit of a drive-by post...I used to frequent this board when LO was a newborn, but now that I'm back to work things are crazy and I never have time to check in. :(  

However, as of just recently we've made it to ONE YEAR EBF!!  I am so proud of us, and hope to continue as long as DD wants. :)

My question is regarding sippy cups...per our pedi's recommendation, I'm trying to slowly switch from her 3 daily bottles to taking that milk from a sippy (and then eventually cutting those bottles out all together).  We've just started with trying to put one of her bottles into a sippy, but so far no luck.  She took it fine the first time I offered (at home, and just casually gave her some extra milk in her sippy and she drank it all over the course of a couple hours).  She is at my mom's during the day and she's not having the same luck, every time she tries to offer it DD pushes it away and makes a face.  Is there a trick to this that I'm missing??  I told my mom to try and offer it to her earlier than she normally takes her bottle, and not to make a big deal about it, but no luck.  Just curious if anyone has any advice for this, or any tips??

Thanks in advance!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker         

Re: BM from a sippy cup

• Options
    Congrats on a year!

DD never took BM from a sippy cup...she drank water just fine out of it, but any type of milk (BM or WCM or a mix) in a sippy cup got thrown across the room when she was a year old.  We tried a variety of sippy cups as well.  Instead, we gave up and decided to wait a month until it was only WCM getting wasted (that's how long my freezer stash lasted with some mixing with WCM; I stopped pumping at a year).  
    My DS was the same way. He never wanted BM out of a straw cup, even though he had been drinking water out of a straw cup for months. We didn't push it and let him drink out of the bottles. When he started on WCM after a year, he was okay with it being in a straw cup. We weren't that concerned that he was still using bottles since he drank water out of the straw cup each day. You could have your LO practice drinking water out of a sippy cup for now. although honestly i'd recommend a straw cup because they are better for their oral health and development than a sippy cup.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"