Working Moms

Job pet peeve

What are your job pet peeves?

I am an administrative assistant. My pet peeve is when my boss takes 2 minutes to send me an e-mail asking me to do something that would take 30 seconds for him to do. For example, e-mailing me to ask me to print an attached document. He has a printer on his desk. Just hit the print icon. 

I also had a boss that sat maybe 5 feet behind me (I was right outside his office door which was almost always open). He had me call him to announce his visitors. Calling him to tell him Mrs. Jones was here to see him was ridiculous. He saw her as soon as I did.

Re: Job pet peeve

• Early in my career I worked with a guy who would bring me things and ask me to mail them for him..which would be fine, except that the documents were already in an envelope, addressed, and ready to go...and the outgoing mail was literally right outside my cubicle.  So I didn't even have to get out of my chair to take it from his hands and plop it in the mail.  I never have figured that one out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This isn't a pet peeve, but a vent about my current job. I'm a software developer and even though I work for an American company, I am currently working on a team with people in Europe. I'm only really able to have meetings with them during the first 2-3hrs of the day, it's hard to schedule, everything is done via teleconference, and I often waste a whole day stuck on something b/c there's no one to ask b/c they're all gone for the day. I hate it. I miss in person communication. I miss having friends to go to lunch with. I didn't know the job would be like this or I wouldn't have taken it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My pet peeve is not checking your work for grammatical and spelling mistakes.  

I think I've talked about this on here before but I'm fired up again!  I'm an accountant and just started taking over some reconciliations for a person who was promoted.  She sent me her previous work so I could use her templates and it looks like shit.  Stuff is misspelled (like reprot instead of report), not consistently formatted and parts of it were just plain wrong.  Everything I get from her is like this.  If you are a professional, your work should reflect that. I don't expect you to be a grammatical whiz, but damn.

I also can't stand when co-workers send emails with no subject, greeting and/or signature.  
  • AgoAgo member

I have a staff who sometimes types her entire email in the subject line, leaving the body blank.  WHY?

My field is primarily female, but our VP is a male.  He is very patriarchical with his system, so even if you have a larger expense in your budget and everyone is expecting that expense, you still have to go ask him for permission to spend "his" money (not his money, we are a non-profit).  It's like daddy giving money to his teenage daughters.

University of Kansas alum Geoff Folker applies food coloring to his snow sculpture at his home on Park Street in Olathe, Kan., on Sunday, March 24, 2013.  A storm that dumped up to 15 inches of snow on parts of Colorado and Kansas is making its way east, with winter storm warnings and advisories issued for today and tomorrow as far east as Pennsylvania. (AP Photo/The Kansas City Star, John Sleezer)

January OAD Siggy Challenge: Creative Snow Sculptures

• mis-use of industry-standard terminology

it bugs the crap out of me and the people I work with are painfully adept at taking an industry-related term that they don't understand and reinventing the definition.

But the really bad part is how they insist to our vendors, industry experts, that the vendors adapt to our company's "definition" of the term.  Which makes all of us look like arrogant, ignorant, dumb-asses.  Thanks for that, Co-worker!

• The guy who thinks it's ok to whistle inside the office. I can't concentrate and want to claw my face off when he gets whistling. Plus, whistling inside attracts demons and we don't need demons in our office 8-X ;)

• melOHdy said:

My supervisor likes to schedule meetings with me and then proceed to postpone them day after day after day until a week later she just forgets about it. 

This is what I was going to write too. My boss is always telling me to put a meeting on his calendar any time we need to discuss anything. But then he blows off the meeting until hours later when he comes to me and says "what time are we getting together?" I'll respond with "three hours ago" knowing full well a reminder popped up for him as it did for me. Then he'll ask me to reschedule, which I will, and we'll do the whole dance again.

And this is why we still have not gone through what he needs to cover for me while I am out for 12 weeks on maternity leave...

• Oh geez - if I have to pick only one pet peeve I guess it would be admissions. I am the speech therapist/rehab director of a skilled nursing facility. In the last year we have admitted more psych patients than rehab patients, yet we are expected to do rehab on them as well - sometime between them beating off, throwing trash cans bc there's a Sprite bottle in it as they don't like sprite, or eating azalea leaves. Then we catch hell for not treating people that obviously don't need physical, occupational, or speech therapy. Ugh - healthcare!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Old men who have retired for all intents and purposes but still draw their full paycheck. I have a coworker who earns well into the six figures. He does no work! Hasn't for the 5.5 years I've been at the company. But everyone in leadership just shrugs and goes "well, he's on the way out anyway." Yes, but in the meantime, I'm dying because I have double the legal workload as well as all the administrative burdens that come with being a supervisor. I end up being responsible for his people as well as my own because he just refuses to do anything! Then my boss says "well, you've done a new attorney development plan, so just share it with his attorneys too" or "oh, you're sending your people to that training? Go ahead and sign his people up too." Ugh! I hate this guy. And my boss when he won't make the guy work. If he made this guy work, the guy would quit and I could hire someone to take on the work!
  • When people come to work when they're sick, make ZERO effort to avoid infecting others, and then say, "Oh, don't come near me, I'm sick!"

imageDSC_9275  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"