March 2014 Moms

Water breaking VS peeing yourself

Would someone who has experienced their water breaking please help me clarify?

I know peeing yourself can happen during pregnancy but up until now it hasn't happened to me before.

I stood up after peeing and felt a little more of an urge. It happens a lot, like there's one more drop but with all the pressure on my bladder it's enough to feel uncomfortable. I held a piece of toilet paper up to myself waiting for the drop and instead a full stream gushed out. It was not a huge amount, just the amount of pee. It smelled and looked liked pee (yellow from my vitamins) But remember I had *just* urinated. I also felt like I couldn't stop it.

How much would come out if it was the water breaking?

Does it have a smell/color?

Also, can your water break with no contractions or other labor symptoms?

Re: Water breaking VS peeing yourself

• No that was it. After that bit of a gush, no leaking or anything.
  • elliebean14elliebean14 member
    edited March 2014
    I also felt a pop and gush. Any time I moved, but especially when I stood or walked, more would trickle out. It felt like I was continuously peeing myself...fun stuff.
    ETA: I didn't have contractions or other labor signs until the midwife started pitocin 12 hours after my water broke.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I honestly didn't even realize my water broke! I was laying on the couch and stood up and leaked. I thought it was extra discharge. It happened once more and I went to bed. I went to work the next day and it happened a couple more times and once right after I used the bathroom. That's when I knew something wasn't right! I had no other labor signs but I also was only 27 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Check out my blog: http://blondheimtwins.blogspot.com/

• memo9memo9 member
    If it smells like pee, it's definitely pee.  My water barely trickled out... I woke up to go pee and as soon I stood up just a little bit came out.  I really thought I had peed myself.  Then it gushed again after I went pee, but I didn't feel any urge to urinate.  I put a pad on and it was clear and odorless.  It felt slimy when I wiped though.  My contractions started about an hour after my water broke and were pretty strong 2 hours later.  Baby was born 8 hours after it broke. 
  • When my water broke I felt a gush and thought I had peed my pants. When I went to the bathroom, fluid kept coming out, it was kind of slimy, and it had a pink tint to it. My contractions were 5 minutes apart within an hour.

Me: 28  DH: 27
    TTC since 2011
    IVF #1 June 2013 DD born: 2/25/14
    IVF #2 January 2016 Double Transfer: 1/28/2016
    First Beta: 108 Second Beta: 360.3
    Twins EDD: 10/13/2016
  • I also felt a pop and gush. Any time I moved, but especially when I stood or walked, more would trickle out. It felt like I was continuously peeing myself...fun stuff. ETA: I didn't have contractions or other labor signs until the midwife started pitocin 12 hours after my water broke.
    This was sort of me but no pop and gush.  With DD, I was lying in bed about to go to sleep when I felt like I had to pee.  Went to the bathroom.  Came back.  Still had the urge to pee.  Not a strong urge, but enough to get me out of bed.  It did not cross my mind that it was my water (even though I was like 41+3 - ha!).  What I DID get a little concerned about was that there was also some blood (maybe my bloody show?) and so I called the after hours number and they had me go to the hospital.  I was so oblivious to it being my water even though I still had the weird heavy bladder/need to pee feeling on the way to the hospital and I was definitely leaking more than my pantyliner could hold.  Anyway....got to the hospital and yep, it was my water!  

Also, yes, I had NO signs of labor prior to that.  My first contraction was several hours later.

If it continues, I'd get it checked out just to be sure. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • When I stood up I felt an immediate gush. To me it wasn't like peeing at all, as I didn't have the urge and hadn't really sort of "pushed" the way you push out urine. It was sudden and very obvious.
  • I still don't know when my water broke, and neither did my nurses. It definitely broke on its own, but it wasn't obvious. I leaked pee all through labor, and some of it must have been my water too. The pee leaking started at home after a contraction.
  • My water broke with DD, it wasn't a gush, but I felt sort of a pop and then some liquid. I went to the bathroom and did pee some, then when I stood up more came out, It was a  fairly steady trickle.

It will not smell like pee, it may even smell sweet.  But a good way to know, if its not a gush, lay down for a little and stand up. Amniotic fluid will pool in the vagina, pee will not.  So if you stand up and some more comes out, your water broke.

DD - Lucia Alessandra 6/18/12  ~~~  Welcoming Baby Boy!! - 3/26/14

• With my first it broke during labor. There was no denying what it was, I felt a pop and had a huge gush and then subsequent gushes with each contraction. It felt never ending!

With the pregnancy they broke my water. I felt a tiny pop, but had no gush and next to no trickle... The doctor couldn't even tell if it had broken or not.

So it could feel different for everyone! My guess though is if you had an urge to pee and it was yellow, then it was probably pee.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Mine broke right after I went to the bathroom.  It was pink and had no odor that I could tell - it definitely didn't smell like urine!  Dr. told me it could be pink because of blood vessels around my cervix that were being irritated as I dilated and effaced.  My water broke at 4:30 am and I didn't have contractions until 3 pm that day - and with the help of pitocin at that! 

I also knew it was my water (aside from the color and lack of odor) because it kept trickling out.  I filled a pad in 30 min and then another within an hour.  When we got to the hospital, they used a piece of paper to see if it was amniotic fluid or not.  The paper turned pink and the nurse said, "Oh yeah!  There's gonna be a baby today!"

• I felt more then a trickle but not a huge gush. I stood up and the water just came. If I peed myself I was able to stop it and it wasn't a ton. Also when my water broke I ended up going through 3 pairs of pants even with a pad. With DS1 I felt a pop then water gushing with DS2 I didn't feel a pop. Also when I peed my pants it was
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • At first I noticed it when after I peed, than I peed again both times it was a trickle. No other labor symptoms or signs. Than it just kept trickling until after we drove 45 min to the hospital I stood up in the ER parking lot and it was niagara friggen falls. Contractions started on the way to the hospital, fast and furious. I flooded my wheel chair from the ER to. L&D triage also.
  • AturlAturl member
    I rolled over in bed and felt a little liquid discharge and it woke me up. I thought maybe it was just pee so I went to the bathroom and put a pad on just in case. Went back to my bedroom to tell DH that I thought my water might have broken when Gush!! Yep there was the big gush that the movies all show.
  • I guess I just peed myself then! Never happened for the first pregnancy but then again I'm more oregnant than I've ever been now that I'm 38 weeks and DD was born at 37. Fun times!
  • I was induced, but when my water broke on its own while in the hospital I felt a pop and then a major gush. The nurse had to change the pad under me like 10 times because there was so much fluid.

imageimageimage

• My dr broke my water, and I know from US that I was carrying a lot of fluid (said they like it to be between 8 and 25, I was 23) , but I felt like I was peeing myself nonstop for 30 minutes. If I so much as twitched my belly, more would gush out. The nurse said it's not as much as it feels, but it felt like a lot to me. After reading all these responses, I'd say most every woman in different, but you'd typically know the difference.
  • My water broke at the hospital so thankfully I was able to have the nurse check to see if I peed or my water broke lol! But, for me, it was definitely a feeling of uncontrollable peeing. Mine didn't pop or come all in one gush, but came out in several mini-gushes during contractions over the course of an hour or so.

• No pop for me. I was sitting cross-legged on the couch and suddenly warm fluid was gushing out if me. I jumped up and it kept coming out in gushes. It was clear and odorless.
    Bubba, born Jan. 2007 * Sissy, born Apr. 2009 * Baby Sister, born Feb. 2014
  • When my water broke it felt like a huge kicked/ pop! I was laying there trying to get some rest before labor kicked into full gear and I felt it. I raised up and said "Ouch". My family looked at me and asked what was wrong. I said "I don't know. It felt like a big kick or something.. I don't know what it was". Then a few seconds later I started feeling the fluid coming out. It just kept coming! I said "My water broke!"

BFP #1 10/02/06, EDD 5/1/07 Natural Miscarriage 1 week after BFP

BFP #2 3/28/07, EDD 11/19/07 Natural Miscarriage 2 weeks after BFP

BFP #3 1/16/11, 1st U/S - 1/28/11 HR 132bpm, Missed Miscarriage- 2/28/11, D&C 3/8/11 

March 2011, diagnosed with MTHFR gene mutation

"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap and tell them about You, but since I didn't get the chance, would You please hold them on Your lap and tell them about me?

BFP #4 6/26/13, EDD 3/8/14, Delivered @ 40w6d
    Bethany Elizabeth born on 3/14/14 @ 6:48am weighing almost 8lbs 1oz and measuring 20 1/2 inches.

• I was laying down and I just felt like my underwear was extra wet. I didn't gush when i stood up or when I was going to the doctors office to check me. I was kind of thinking maybe I did pee myself ... Until I got the exam then hello Niagra falls. I wasn't really having contractions and was still only 1cm so they started me on pitocin

• bingbongsmamabingbongsmama member
    edited March 2014
    Ah Geez, it happened AGAIN, this morning. This is so humiliating and only something I can admit anonymously online. It's got to be related to gravity bc it happens when I stand up. Ready to be done with pregnancy!!! Well, 4 more days
  • No pop just clear fluid mixed with drops of blood. It didn't gush at first just trickles of fluid then by the time I got to the hospital and I'm a gown it gushed out.
  • I had a distinct pop and twinge with sudden gush of fluid that continued, in smaller gushes related to
    Movement/contractions, for some time.

Fluid looked/smelled nothing like pee.

I had no other signs of labor whatsoever before and only occasional mild cxs after, until they put me on pit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"