August 2013 Moms
Options

FFFC

Re: FFFC

• Options
    I have been in tears the last 3 nights because it has taken 4 hours to get DD to sleep and even after she only sleeps for 2 hours at a time. Sometimes I just feel like I can't take it anymore. I often feel helpless, like what can I do? What should I do? I am so exhausted and have daily headaches, stomach cramps, and my eyes feel like sand paper.

I sometimes wish I could go back to the newborn phase, because that was actually easier. WTH!!
    Giant cyber hugs

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• Options
    I have been in tears the last 3 nights because it has taken 4 hours to get DD to sleep and even after she only sleeps for 2 hours at a time. Sometimes I just feel like I can't take it anymore. I often feel helpless, like what can I do? What should I do? I am so exhausted and have daily headaches, stomach cramps, and my eyes feel like sand paper.

I sometimes wish I could go back to the newborn phase, because that was actually easier. WTH!!
    :( Three straight nights of that is a lot. Hoping you get a break this weekend.
    "The cleaning, the scrubbing will wait til tomorrow,
    For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
    So, quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
    I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've never used Pinterest
    You're missing out.  It's like crack.

No thank you

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• Options

That's rough. Is she overtired and not wanting to sleep or maybe just not ready for bed yet? We had to push back ds's bedtime when it was taking forever to get him settled. We ended up feeding him, playing, and waiting another hour before our bedtime routine. It seems to have worked, although we're always up every 2-3 hours since that's when he wants to eat, all day every day, lol. Hope things get better for you. :(
  • Options
    MitsB707 said:

That's rough. Is she overtired and not wanting to sleep or maybe just not ready for bed yet? We had to push back ds's bedtime when it was taking forever to get him settled. We ended up feeding him, playing, and waiting another hour before our bedtime routine. It seems to have worked, although we're always up every 2-3 hours since that's when he wants to eat, all day every day, lol. Hope things get better for you. :(
    I think she's overtired, because these days she just won't do her 3rd nap--so she was actually up for nearly 6 hours!! She normally naps every 2-2.5 hours. She can't handle much more awake time than that.

At the 2 hour mark, I start doing the nap routine, but she just won't settle. She fights that early evening nap. I try everything to get her to do it--swaddle, no swaddle, white noise, lullaby, holding, nursing, rocking, walking, our bed, crib, PNP. I tried for 1 hour to get her to do the nap yesterday, but she was screaming while being held so I gave up. And my arms and back were just done after holding a squirmy baby for hours. 

Then, 2 hours later I started to do the night routine and same screaming story. 

I wouldn't even mind getting up--but she's so upset at each waking now--crying incosolably. When she was a NB, she just nursed, got a diaper change and quietly went back to sleep. Now, she writhes and cries.

• Options
    @LJUTCMommy‌ That is so rough. I'm so sorry she is having so much trouble with naps and sleeping. I hope maybe it's just some sort of developmental leap she's going through and once she works it out, she'll start sleeping again. ::::hugs::::
  • Options
    @LJUTCMommy - I'm so sorry, that sounds awful. Have you thought about hiring a sleep consultant? I have a friend that did that and she swears it was worth the $500 or whatever it was.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    LJUTCMommy - I'm so sorry, that sounds awful. Have you thought about hiring a sleep consultant? I have a friend that did that and she swears it was worth the $500 or whatever it was.
    Whhhat? I've never heard of that. People do that? 

eta: I just searched. A LOT of people do that huh? Pretty interesting idea if you're at your wits end. 

• Options
    @LJUTCMommy - I'm so sorry, that sounds awful. Have you thought about hiring a sleep consultant? I have a friend that did that and she swears it was worth the $500 or whatever it was.
    I actually have. I'm just afraid because all sleep training pretty much leads down to CIO, IMO. Then again, if she's crying anyway--what's the difference? It's a tough decision. 

• Options
    MitsB707 said:
    @LJUTCMommy‌ That is so rough. I'm so sorry she is having so much trouble with naps and sleeping. I hope maybe it's just some sort of developmental leap she's going through and once she works it out, she'll start sleeping again. ::::hugs::::
    I have read that there is an 8, 9 and 10 month sleep regression. The LOs apparently hit at each or either of those months. Shes is working really hard on crawling, but hasn't figured it out yet.

• Options
    Thank you for all the support ladies! Sometimes it just feels good to vent. 

• Options
    I actually have. I'm just afraid because all sleep training pretty much leads down to CIO, IMO. Then again, if she's crying anyway--what's the difference? It's a tough decision. 
    I think a lot of it does, so you'd have to be ok with it. At this point, it sounds like she is just overtired all the time if she's not sleeping more than 1-2 hours at a time? Maybe you could hire the sleep consultant and just see what they have to say. Maybe she can help tweak your schedule a little bit or give you some insight you haven't thought of? I don't know.. you are much stronger than me. I am pretty sure I'd have given up and done CIO a few months ago. Lack of sleep makes me lose my mind!
  • Options
    LJUTCMommy - I'm so sorry, that sounds awful. Have you thought about hiring a sleep consultant? I have a friend that did that and she swears it was worth the $500 or whatever it was.

eta: I just searched. A LOT of people do that huh? Pretty interesting idea if you're at your wits end. 
    Yeah, a lot of people do! I was surprised too. Actually I was even more surprised when I found out how many people hire night nurses. I thought that was just something that crazy rich people do (who else could afford it?!) but I saw a post on Facebook once in this Mommy group I'm in, and soooooo many people had done it.
  • Options

Yeah, a lot of people do! I was surprised too. Actually I was even more surprised when I found out how many people hire night nurses. I thought that was just something that crazy rich people do (who else could afford it?!) but I saw a post on Facebook once in this Mommy group I'm in, and soooooo many people had done it.
    DH has been trying to get me to get a night nanny one night a week forever. I've always been against it, but I'm glad to hear he is not the only person to suggest it. I also thought it was only something insanely rich people do so I was always like this:

• Options
    Awww! @LJUTCmommy I love the new siggy picture! 

• Options

DH has been trying to get me to get a night nanny one night a week forever. I've always been against it, but I'm glad to hear he is not the only person to suggest it. I also thought it was only something insanely rich people do so I was always like this:

I know! When I told my mom, she was like, What on earth would you ever need a night nurse for?!?!?! But back in the day, no one would ever have done that. I'd say, if it saves your sanity, DO IT!!
    And Ps, new siggy pic is adorable. Beautiful family!
  • Options
    I am a terrible texter. I completely forget to text back for hours, sometimes days. I apparently offended my MIL (who I actually like, surprisingly) because i didn't text her back for days. I usually think of a response, I just forget to actually send it.

Not much of a confession, but I've been feeling bad about it lately.
  • Options

Thank you for all the support ladies! Sometimes it just feels good to vent. 

I know how hard it can be in the night to stay positive and not loose your mind. Whenever you need to vent to feel better we will listen and bitch along with you.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
     Today is our 5-year anniversary. Things have been so incredibly crazy and stressful lately that I didn't even get DH a card. We are in the process of selling our house, we just got back from vacation, and I'm planning a 40th birthday party for him next weekend.. we've been busy. But we are going to dinner tomorrow night so I could go get him something today.. if I make it to a store.. which is looking unlikely. Bad wife.
  • Options
    My 2.5 year old has watched TV a lot more than normal today. :(. He's sick and needs to rest so I'm letting him watch all the animated movies he wants. He needs more fluids and he will mindlessly sip while staring at the TV...

I admit I'm kind of enjoying focusing more on the little one. Sometimes I feel DS2 doesn't get "enough" from me with a crazy toddler around.

Hopefully big guy is feeling better and keeping foods down tomorrow.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• Options
    @NikkiD522 Actually, baths make DD even more excited. I gave her a bath last night, because she needed one, but it certainly didn't help anything. :-(

• Options
    I think it's so cute those who are saying their kids will eat whatever they put in front of them. All the moms I talk to with toddler think it's a win just getting their kid to eat, let alone something new. Lucas pretty much rotates through the same foods while occasionally trying something new, but usually spits it out saying its yucky

This is what I keep thinking...

How do we know what our LOs will be like when they're toddlers? I'm a very picky adult. My sister and my mother are too. 

DD eats everything now, but I'm not going to starve her rather than give her chicken nuggets or something similar when she's older. When I was a child, I would have gone to bed hungry or not eat for an entire day or 2 if nothing I liked was offered. 

I will try to teach healthy habits, but accept that sometimes you just have to survive. 

• Options

@NikkiD522 Actually, baths make DD even more excited. I gave her a bath last night, because she needed one, but it certainly didn't help anything. :-(
    aww.. bummer :-( well then fresh air is my only other suggestion. I really hope you get some relief soon! ps we still use the Baby Got Colic song some days too lol .. not sure if that ever worked for you, but it has been a godsend.
    Mason Lee 
    Born 8/18/13 
    A13 May Siggy Contest 

• Options
    @LJUTCMommy it seems kind of overly simple to say this but, sometimes when C is like that (just kicks and writhes and cries) when I try to rock her and I know she's overtired and fighting it, I just put her down and walk away.  Lay her in the crib, let her cry for literally 1-2 minutes (that's all it takes for her) and by that time she's either calm and asleep or I pick her up and rock her and she'll settle down. 

I was finding that when I tried all this new stuff she would just get more confused and agitated.  If that's considered CIO, oh well.  I personally don't think that's CIO.  But she's really learned how to calm herself down since we started doing that. 

Baby C - 08.23.13
  • Options

@LJUTCMommy it seems kind of overly simple to say this but, sometimes when C is like that (just kicks and writhes and cries) when I try to rock her and I know she's overtired and fighting it, I just put her down and walk away.  Lay her in the crib, let her cry for literally 1-2 minutes (that's all it takes for her) and by that time she's either calm and asleep or I pick her up and rock her and she'll settle down. 

I was finding that when I tried all this new stuff she would just get more confused and agitated.  If that's considered CIO, oh well.  I personally don't think that's CIO.  But she's really learned how to calm herself down since we started doing that. 

The issue with this (and I agree that's
    not CIO) is she will either 1) just scream until I'm afraid she'll turn blue or 2) decide it's playtime and start kicking and bouncing in her PNP or crib.

• Options

I think it's so cute those who are saying their kids will eat whatever they put in front of them. All the moms I talk to with toddler think it's a win just getting their kid to eat, let alone something new. Lucas pretty much rotates through the same foods while occasionally trying something new, but usually spits it out saying its yucky

How do we know what our LOs will be like when they're toddlers? I'm a very picky adult. My sister and my mother are too. 

DD eats everything now, but I'm not going to starve her rather than give her chicken nuggets or something similar when she's older. When I was a child, I would have gone to bed hungry or not eat for an entire day or 2 if nothing I liked was offered. 

I will try to teach healthy habits, but accept that sometimes you just have to survive. 

I get that kids are picky. And never was starvation brought up. Of course I'll feed my kid if she isn't eating what I made. But I guarantee there will be SOMETHING she likes that isn't chicken nuggets, hot dogs, and French fries. If she isn't given those things, then she can't build a favoritism of those foods over something more healthy.

Anniversary

• Options
    @LJUTCMommy‌ ahhh (((hugs))) to you. Totally stressful. I.hope you find a solution soon

@magdalina.h‌ exactly. My.toddler is the same. He has.foods he loves, foods he wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, and foods he will sometimes try... but definitely not willing to eat everything like LO will
    photo df19160f-bf4d-4b1a-aa18-f922c7344247.jpgphoto 6650edf4-b52e-4beb-a3cd-6bdc9480c61c.jpg
    ~may siggy challenge~

photo IMG_20140501_070346.gif photo IMG_20140501_071323.gif
  • Options
    kwrecks said:

I get that kids are picky. And never was starvation brought up. Of course I'll feed my kid if she isn't eating what I made. But I guarantee there will be SOMETHING she likes that isn't chicken nuggets, hot dogs, and French fries. If she isn't given those things, then she can't build a favoritism of those foods over something more healthy.
    I think that is a great goal. I really hope the bolded is true for my LO.I have the same theory, but no empirical evidence.

• Options

The issue with this (and I agree that's not CIO) is she will either 1) just scream until I'm afraid she'll turn blue or 2) decide it's playtime and start kicking and bouncing in her PNP or crib.

Does your DD bottle feed? Can she hold one? My DS is a horrible napper (he literally slept for 10 minutes the entire day last week). We were also having nightly battles (hours) to get him to sleep. So after doing some research and asking for advice on here we ended up putting him in his crib awake with a bottle. He falls asleep on his own every night now. I will usually feed/rock him for a few minutes and then put him in the crib.

There have been a few nights where he will get a little fussy when the bottle is done and so I will give him 3 minutes before I go in there. I only do this when he is fussy not full blown crying because I know if he is REALLY crying he won't calm down on his own. He rarely has made it to the 3 minute mark.

Maybe you have already tried this...but just wanted to give you another idea to try if not. Good luck! I hope you find something that works soon!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I called into work yesterday and blamed it on baby teething but really it was because I didn't want to drive in the snow. Also I enjoy digging ingrown hairs outta my skin waaay more than I should

Engaged 10/2/1202
    BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
    Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
    Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013
    BFP #2 3/13/2016

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    etc35173 said:
    Sorry if this is a repeat (I haven't made it all the way through yet).  If you think the problem is that she is overtired is there anyway you or DH can take her for a drive? Will she fall asleep in the car or in the stroller.  A little while back DS started fighting his third nap so my husband started taking him to run an errand or two when he got home from work.  It ended up being positive all the way around, he got time with A, A got the rest he needed and I got an hour or two to myself to gear up for the night ahead.  If not the car maybe a walk? It will probably be temporary but its possible that after a few days or a week she might stop fighting it all together.  I'm sorry that you are dealing with this and I hope everything settles down quickly for you.  

Thank you for the suggestion. I really appreciate all of you ladies trying to help! I am a little embarrassed I have thread-jacked FFFC with my own silly sleep issues.

Unfortunately, she doesn't sleep in the car seat or stroller.That was definitely my go-to nap solution when she was a newborn though--she used to like those car rides. Somewhere around 3 months, she started hating the car. 

• Options
    Slpafford said:

The issue with this (and I agree that's not CIO) is she will either 1) just scream until I'm afraid she'll turn blue or 2) decide it's playtime and start kicking and bouncing in her PNP or crib.

Does your DD bottle feed? Can she hold one? My DS is a horrible napper (he literally slept for 10 minutes the entire day last week). We were also having nightly battles (hours) to get him to sleep. So after doing some research and asking for advice on here we ended up putting him in his crib awake with a bottle. He falls asleep on his own every night now. I will usually feed/rock him for a few minutes and then put him in the crib.

There have been a few nights where he will get a little fussy when the bottle is done and so I will give him 3 minutes before I go in there. I only do this when he is fussy not full blown crying because I know if he is REALLY crying he won't calm down on his own. He rarely has made it to the 3 minute mark.

Maybe you have already tried this...but just wanted to give you another idea to try if not. Good luck! I hope you find something that works soon!

She's EBF, but gets pumped bottles while I'm at work. At this point, it couldn't hurt to try!

• Options

That's so hard.  I had a similar experience as Magpie - LO was taking forever to go down at night.  We were rocking/bouncing/walking her to sleep and then trying to put her in her crib, but she would pop awake as soon as we laid her down, so we tried putting her in the crib drowsy but awake and shush-patting her until she fell asleep (we picked her up if she got upset).  It worked amazingly well, and over time, she needed less and less shush-patting before she fell asleep.  Now, we can just lay her in the crib and walk out of the room, and she falls asleep on her own in minutes.  I think we were distracting her too much when we were rocking her, and she needed her own space (with us there to reassure her) to fall asleep and stay asleep.

I hope you find something that works soon!

• Options
    LEMSALEMSA member
    @LJUTCMommy‌ my go to is Moby wrap and walk outside. No matter the weather. I've had him in the wrap w DHs coat around us both in the winter. Yes I'm the crazy lady walking outside w a crying baby. But it works. He loves it. The tricky part is keeping him asleep when I get back in. Sometimes I just recline on the couch with him and slowly unwrap the Moby.
  • Options
    Sometimes I lurk on the blended families board (I don't know why.. I'm not a part of a blended family), and I see that it's popular over there to have 50/50 physical custody. I'm not splitting with DH or anything, but my confession is that would NOT be happening here. I don't think it's best for the child to have two homes. I am old-fashioned I guess in thinking kids need their moms more than their dads, at least till a certain age. And for the really flammable part, I would NOT be willing to give up that much time with LO. Nope, nope, nope. 
    I would feel bad for DH if we ever did split (again, we are getting along fine, I just find myself lurking everywhere lately!), because I would not be easy on him. 
  • Options

@LJUTCMommy have you taken her into the bathroom while you shower before? That used to work for us. The sound of the shower would calm him down enough for him to fall asleep. Then, I'd transfer him to his crib and put my phone by his head while it played a rain sound. The app I used was "sleep pillow".

It sounds like you have tried everything though. I hope it's just a phase and it passes tonite.

Also, your siggy is so beautiful.

"The cleaning, the scrubbing will wait til tomorrow,
    For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
    So, quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
    I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"