3rd Trimester

Circumcision

2»

Re: Circumcision

• I got my son circumcised and I regret is sooo much. I wish I would have done more research before doing it. They let you in the room while it is being done to help sooth the baby and what I was told was a quick little snip turned into a half hour, maybe longer ordeal where my son's fourskin was pulled, cut and snipped and then he got stitches all the way around it. Even though they said they used a local anesthetic.The whole time my baby was screaming in agony while blood was pouring out of the incision with every cry.  My son lost so much blood that they had to test him to see if he needed a blood transfusion. Thank god he didn't but my god he lost a lot of blood, he was nice and pink when we went in and was ghost white when we came out. As soon as I got him in my arms he passed out. (seriously tearing up at the thought of that day)

If I could go back in time, I would not get it done.
  • There is evidence that circumcision can reduce the risk of prostate cancer if preformed prior to the first sexual experience. 

https://europepmc.org/articles/PMC3734995

(not sure if the link works - they never seem to for me.  sorry)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We are choosing to circumcise our son. I've had men in my family that have had problems that have come from not being circumcised. The procedures and things they went through as men were lengthy and painful. Not only that, but little boys are dirty ;) They play outside, sweat, work (at least our boys do) and that extra skin makes such a small area harder to clean and keep clean. As a mom you'll clean the area for your baby/little boy for a while, but they will reach an age when modesty sets in. Say around seven or eight. They begin to want to shower, use the bathroom etc… by themselves. And there's only so much that "talking to them" will do, when they're just being a normal "i don't wanna take a bath!!' little boy! When your 8,9,10-12 yr old son gets out of the bath and you check behind his ears and smell his hair to make sure he washed thoroughly, will you also pull the skin back on his penis to make sure it's all clean?? Probably not. Or go with him into the bathroom like he's a toddler and make sure he uses a wet wipe after every time he urinates?? Again, probably not. Sometimes little things like this can lead to infection or irritation. Just something to think about for a first time mom of a little rough and ready tumbler :)   
  • since the majority of babies born in the US are no longer circumcised, no, it doesn't seem like a very valid reason.  Especially since he was teased for a botched circumcision, a risk you can completely eliminate by leaving your son intact.

But hey, your baby your reasons.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • since the majority of babies born in the US are no longer circumcised, no, it doesn't seem like a very valid reason.  Especially since he was teased for a botched circumcision, a risk you can completely eliminate by leaving your son intact.

Plus, if you were to surgically remove everything your kid might be teased about down the road, he'd be left with... Nothing?

• naflmjnaflmj member
    edited April 2014

since the majority of babies born in the US are no longer circumcised, no, it doesn't seem like a very valid reason.  Especially since he was teased for a botched circumcision, a risk you can completely eliminate by leaving your son intact.

The majority of babies in my state are circumcised, so while nationally the trend is going down it's nit true everywhere. That said, we didn't feel that teasing was a good enough reason to circ our boys. I so regret
    Not having done more research before ds1 and our nursing relationship was negatively impacted at the beginning because of it. Is simply not necessary so our other boys are intact. I'm nit concerned that they will care that they aren't all the same.
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• when i have my boy (which im having a girl this time) we will have it done because its better to do it early than wait till they are like 7 or 8 it can cause problems. but this is a touchy topic, i know people who have them and who dont and the ones who had them early were thankful .. imagine the pain later on in life if they were to decided. and i doubt they put you to sleep for that its just clipping the tip its not really a surgery they do them in the docs office at the first appointment if you choose to have it done then rather than at birth
  • when i have my boy (which im having a girl this time) we will have it done because its better to do it early than wait till they are like 7 or 8 it can cause problems. but this is a touchy topic, i know people who have them and who dont and the ones who had them early were thankful .. imagine the pain later on in life if they were to decided. and i doubt they put you to sleep for that its just clipping the tip its not really a surgery they do them in the docs office at the first appointment if you choose to have it done then rather than at birth
    It's not just "clipping the tip".

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

BFP 6.9.13|heartbeat of 128bpm 7weeks|7.23.13 ultrasound revealed no heartbeat|natural m/c and d&c 7.25.13

DS born 5.20.14 at 38 weeks

All are welcome

I do love this.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    regardless the point its not a surgery and they do them in the office 
  • It's not a very biblical position to circumcise as a Christian. you're doing it out of family tradition, not any actual biblical teaching. But sure, whatever reason works for you. Your baby.

It is Biblical, though. If your point is that it was told to the Jews, then I have to bring up the fact that Christianity is rooted in Judaism, as Jesus was a Jew. Just saying.

image          image

• edited April 2014

when i have my boy (which im having a girl this time) we will have it done because its better to do it early than wait till they are like 7 or 8 it can cause problems. but this is a touchy topic, i know people who have them and who dont and the ones who had them early were thankful .. imagine the pain later on in life if they were to decided. and i doubt they put you to sleep for that its just clipping the tip its not really a surgery they do them in the docs office at the first appointment if you choose to have it done then rather than at birth

Shows how much you know about the procedure. It IS surgery.

And your original post sounds like you think it is inevitable at some point is a boy's life. Also not true. Like, at all.
  • what i stated was true, first i said it can cause problems if not done .. which is true their are pros and cons! then i said if you have it done early rather than late the pain and memory are less, infants wont remember. a grown child or man will, i have heard it from both sides. so until you grow a dick and decided to have it done then you will not know nor will i or anyone else truly know unless they are apart of that group!

i see your one of those moms on every trend who bashes people for their opinions!  when you decide to tell me what my post states dont!

It is surgery and not all are done in an office setting. I've worked as an urology RN for years. Babies less than a month old can be done in an office, and some places will do adults too. But most urologists require general anesthesia in a hospital.

• what i stated was true, first i said it can cause problems if not done .. which is true their are pros and cons! then i said if you have it done early rather than late the pain and memory are less, infants wont remember. a grown child or man will, i have heard it from both sides. so until you grow a dick and decided to have it done then you will not know nor will i or anyone else truly know unless they are apart of that group!

i see your one of those moms on every trend who bashes people for their opinions!  when you decide to tell me what my post states dont!
    So don't you think this may be a reason not to circ? You're hurting your own argument here.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Cut the penis. Period
    1st loss 8/31
    2nd pregnancy -TWINS lost DD1 twin at 8 weeks 6 days DD1 born 6 weeks early
    3rd pregnancy- TWINS AGAIN lost both babies at 9 week appt
    4th pregnancy- singleton- born at 38 weeks 1 day with the help of weekly 17P injections
    5th pregnancy- CP in June
    6th pregnancy It's a BOY

• Cut the penis. Period
    Well that was helpful.
    ~Jessica~ 

Your baby, your choice.  But please educate yourself and watch videos of it being done.  It's not just clipping the tip.  And it is painful.  
    ~Jessica~ 

• I'm like you. We don't know what we're having but after talking it through with my husband, we decided to circumcise if we have a boy. Basically, I don't have strong opinions either way and my husband does, mostly because of the teasing his friend received in the locker room for looking different because of a slightly botched circumcision. I'm sure from reading this thread that people will say that this is a silly reason, but so what.
    I'm confused.  Your husband's friend was teased due to a slightly botched circumcision? I would think you'd consider possibly not circumcising because of that.  
    ~Jessica~ 

• Elf2718Elf2718 member
    edited April 2014
    Your baby...your decision. I thought we, as mothers, are supposed to support one another instead of shoot each other down for our desicions???

I support those of you who choose to keep your sons intact. It is a personal choice and you.shouldn't have to defend your reasoning behind your choice.

Same for those that choose to circumcise. I will be doing this because I have decided that the benefits greatly outweigh the risks. I would hope that I am not attacked for my decision.
    We all need to remember that we are all trying to do what is best for us and our LOs.

:)
  • It's not a very biblical position to circumcise as a Christian. you're doing it out of family tradition, not any actual biblical teaching. But sure, whatever reason works for you. Your baby.
    It is Biblical, though. If your point is that it was told to the Jews, then I have to bring up the fact that Christianity is rooted in Judaism, as Jesus was a Jew. Just saying.

It's not a very biblical position to circumcise as a Christian. you're doing it out of family tradition, not any actual biblical teaching. But sure, whatever reason works for you. Your baby.

The bible is very clear that non jews don't need to be circumcised. It's not even kind of sort of required of Christians. If you're doing it's family tradition, period, not for biblical reasons.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In NZ we have about 10% rate of circumcisions, probably even less than that. Our rate of STD's is probably about the same as there. I. Work in a hospital with an aged care facility, none of our gentlemen have issues with their penises because they know how to clean themselves properly, or if they are unable to do so they are cleaned properly.

No matter how you look at it you are cutting off a piece of your childs body, personally I don't see any reason at all to do it.
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016

• BhSimpson said:

We are choosing to circumcise our son. I've had men in my family that have had problems that have come from not being circumcised. The procedures and things they went through as men were lengthy and painful. Not only that, but little boys are dirty ;) They play outside, sweat, work (at least our boys do) and that extra skin makes such a small area harder to clean and keep clean. As a mom you'll clean the area for your baby/little boy for a while, but they will reach an age when modesty sets in. Say around seven or eight. They begin to want to shower, use the bathroom etc… by themselves. And there's only so much that "talking to them" will do, when they're just being a normal "i don't wanna take a bath!!' little boy! When your 8,9,10-12 yr old son gets out of the bath and you check behind his ears and smell his hair to make sure he washed thoroughly, will you also pull the skin back on his penis to make sure it's all clean?? Probably not. Or go with him into the bathroom like he's a toddler and make sure he uses a wet wipe after every time he urinates?? Again, probably not. Sometimes little things like this can lead to infection or irritation. Just something to think about for a first time mom of a little rough and ready tumbler :)   

Uh yuck your whole post is asinine. First of all my uncircumcised FIVE year old knows how to clean his own penis and does it all by himself. It's not rocket science and not that hard to teach. Second go all just because he is uncircumcised does not mean he uses a wet wipe when he pees. He shakes his penis like all other men. If you don't know what you are talking about stay out of the conversation.

Wet wipes probably do more damage!
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016

The bible is very clear that non jews don't need to be circumcised. It's not even kind of sort of required of Christians. If you're doing it's family tradition, period, not for biblical reasons.
    I have spent many hour researching this topic in terms of the biblical references. As a christian living in new testament times circumcision is not required. In the OT yes, it was part of the covenant. But because of Jesus coming and creating the new covenant it is no longer a required practice for Christians.

sorry for the quote format fail...
    Together Since 9/14/2008 
    Married since 08/19/2011 
    Audrey born 5/9/2014 

A14 August Siggy Challange: This time Last Year

Me DH
    image image

• jaime363 said:
    Don't forget there are also religious / personal value reasons for circumcision! I am a Bible-believing Christian who will circumcise her son because it is a family tradition - basically, to us it is an outward symbol of the covenant God made with Abraham in the Old Testament as a symbol to set apart His people from the other nations around them and pledge their love and obedience to God. I don't believe it brings salvation, any special favor with God, or anything "magical" like that, but it is simply an outward symbol of a decision to set yourself and your family apart for God as His people, much like baptism is an outward symbol of deciding to follow Jesus as your personal Savior. 
    I totally respect anyone's decision to not circumcise, but just want to remind others that some choose to circumcise for personal reasons. There are medical pros and cons to circumcision; no hard medical evidence or statistics that points to circumcision as dangerous or unsafe. Most medical communities or societies neither condemn nor promote the practice since it has pros and cons, and no blatant medical reason to endorse or condemn circumcision. 
    It is a personal decision - you have to make the right choice for your family and your son. 
    Abraham was a Jew.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"