January 2013 Moms
Options

New study on cause of autism

I heard about this on the radio yesterday.  Looks like hopeful evidence on the cause of autism (hint: results show that autism has nothing to do with immunizations, big surprise).

https://health.ucsd.edu/news/releases/Pages/2014-03-26-cortical-layer-disruption-and-autism.aspx
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: New study on cause of autism

• Options
    Unfortunately, I doubt that will make a big difference with the anti vaccine people... But I'm also glad for a theory that actually makes sense.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Jessie333 said:
    Unfortunately, I doubt that will make a big difference with the anti vaccine people... But I'm also glad for a theory that actually makes sense.
    No doubt.  But since they were able to link autism to missing genetic markers, my guess is that they will be able to test for autism in utero, which should put the vaccine conspiracy to rest.... eventually.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't think the anti-vaxxers will ever give up the notion that vaccines cause autism.  My guess is that many of them will start  pointing to the vaccines the mom (or parents) got, causing these defects in their children years later.
    Oh god, I hope you're wrong!!
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing! I can't believe that celebrities like Kristin Cavallari are still perpetuating the vaccination connection.

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• Options

I think the reason the vaccine argument has so much traction is because parents are in denial and they want something to blame.  They're in denial that there may have been signs that their child was on the autism spectrum since birth, and I get this, no one wants to admit that there might be something different about their child.  Once they get the diagnosis, they're also bombarded with information about early intervention being the most effective, and they have to go home and instead of admitting that they maybe should have taken action earlier, they can tell themselves "hey, my kid was normal until the vaccine, so there's nothing I could have done earlier."  Also, what parent wants to hear that their child is going to struggle because of genetic abnormalities they passed on to their child?  Again, let's blame a vaccine because we can burry our head in something that makes us feel better.

Don't get me started about the Kristen Cavallari statements.  She used the most flawed logic to support her decision.  Some small group of people don't vaccinate their kids, and magically none of them have autism.  Guess what, everyone in my family (over 100 of us if I include first cousins) is vaccinated, and none of us have autism. 

Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"