Special Needs

I'm so frustrated with the school

My son (6 yrs old ASD/ADHD, regular classroom, medicated) has been acting up (here and there- nothing major).  Yesterday was not great though.  It was his worst day since September.  Instead of getting someone to help, his teacher let him act out for 4ish hours yesterday. She tried to control him, but it sounds like it was a fail and just kept on going.  When I talked to her the first thing she asked about was his medications.  I told her they haven't changed.  Today I asked her if we could schedule a meeting to talk about it.  I asked her if she had talked to the the principal or vice principal to make sure they are aware in case she needs some help with him.  She spoke with the vice principal and she also wondered about his medication.  That's it.  Not maybe he needs some other type of support, just give him more meds. 

I'm tired of them bringing it up.  I'm tired of them acting like it will solve everything if we just up his dose/change his meds/ whatever.  
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I'm so frustrated with the school

• Well that sounds upsetting. It makes me mad like we as parents don't do enough.

I feel you on being tired of the school and all I could do is comfort myself with a countdown of 7 weeks of school left not including Spring Break.

The school has complained that DS receives too much private aba therapy on top of schooling. It was only 13 hours and there were positive changes all around.

If any of those school professionals had a special needs child, they would do everything in their utmost to help their child like we are helping our children.

I am sorry to vent on your post.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm so sorry! I know you love your little man, so that must be difficult... :(

How does he feel about school? Would it be an option for him to switch schools or be homeschooled?

Love my Airman
  • Loading the player...
  • -auntie- said:

Conference time. Bring in the building's head of the CST and/or principal because you need witnesses. 

I'm sorry you're going through this, but you need to nip this shit in the bud. You should not be violating your son's rights under HIPPA by discussing medication with this woman. 

This script worked for me, feel free to borrow it.

The management of ADHD requires a team. I take medical advice from DS's psychiatrist because he is a medical doctor. Now, let's talk about what you can do, as an educator and part of his IEP team,  to effectively support him in the classroom.

If you need to, practice in front of the mirror until you can deliver it fluently. 
    Oh that is an awesome comeback!
  • -auntie- said:

If any of those school professionals had a special needs child, they would do everything in their utmost to help their child like we are helping our children.

You'd think so, but no.

Some of the worst offenders I've run into have been teachers who think they know it all because their own kid has ADHD. 
    That is a different perspective that I did not think about. Thank you, Auntie!
  • -auntie- said:

Conference time. Bring in the building's head of the CST and/or principal because you need witnesses. 

I'm sorry you're going through this, but you need to nip this shit in the bud. You should not be violating your son's rights under HIPPA by discussing medication with this woman. 

This script worked for me, feel free to borrow it.

The management of ADHD requires a team. I take medical advice from DS's psychiatrist because he is a medical doctor. Now, let's talk about what you can do, as an educator and part of his IEP team,  to effectively support him in the classroom.

If you need to, practice in front of the mirror until you can deliver it fluently. 
    Memorizing it now. Thank you.  Of course we had a meeting scheduled for today that his teacher cancelled because she realized she had a conflict.  Pushed it back until Monday.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"