Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

16 month old still dosent sleep

I'm ready to pull all my hair out !!! My dd still wakes 3/4 times a night ,screaming !!! She will take a bottle some times but other times she dosent want anything? We tried the CIO method and it dosent work (she cried for 6 hours) the doc gave me phenergan which also didn't work! She gets a nap in the mid morning around 11/11:30 for 1-2 hours ? Someone help

Re: 16 month old still dosent sleep

• Options

Could it be that she is over tired? If my son slept from 1130-1230 and didnt go to bed again until his normal 7/730 bedtime he would be a nightmare! Can you try either moving bedtime up to earlier or putting her down for a 2nd nap around 4 or something? It sounds counterintuitive but if kids are overtired they tend to sleep worse at night.  there also is probably a comfort thing where she knows you will come in and rescue her if shes persistent enough. CIO may not work but a modified version very well could.

• Options
    Ok ladies first of all I posted for advice not to be talked to like an idiot ! Secondly I did NOT just leave my child to cry for 6 hours !!! If ye know anything about CIO you would know you leave them crying for 15/20 mins tops and re-enter the room to sooth them , she is stubborn so I done it for 6 hours to try break her but it didn't work !!! This is my second child so it's not like I'm new to this , she was given drugs because it is effecting my health gettin no sleep and my doctor was concerned !! Don't think any of ye are doctors so please don't talk like you are. For the genuine people giving there opinions thank you :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I understand where you are coming from as LO is only 18 mos. and just recently began STTN. The MOTN bottles have got to be stopped. Try a sippy cup of water with only a drink or two. CIO out has obviously not worked. Have you tried the No Cry Sleep Solution? I got the book and modified quite a bit but have seen some pay offs from it. Also with the nap thing have you tried putting LO back to sleep when she wakes up after such a short period of time? DS was waking after 45-1 hour and I'd give back the binky and lay down with him and he'd fall right back to sleep. If you don't have a bedtime routine that you do every night at the same time, get one it WILL make a difference. Try to have a 12 hour period at night that is devoted to sleep. 8 pm - 8 am for example. I don't know about the meds so I can't help ya there. GL!

imageimage 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Well before you judge the situation read up about CIO please and to be honest I don't give a crap if you or anyone else thinks it's "strange" for my DOCTOR prescribe something to help my kid sleep , your not a doctor ?? Therefore you know nothing about it !! She has a routine ,always had from day 1 and actually slept good for the few 3 months and then it turned . I can't give her a second nap because she won't go down for me ! I was hopin for some support here but I guess not
  • Options
    Well when you're rude.... Just so you know it's a public forum. Anyone can reply however they want.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Options
    There are actually multiple options for CIO.  There is rapid extinction which is literally put your LO in a crib and say good night and leave them till morning no matter what.  If you do not specify people may think you meant that.  There is also the Ferber method which is progressive waiting where you let your LO fuss for 3, 5, 7, etc, and do checks.  I do not know of a method that is 15- 20 mins tops.  

Does her pedi seem concerned about her sleep?  You can ask for a referral for a sleep coach that will help you figure out the root of the problem and come up with some solutions.  I definitely agree that her nap is very early so I would try to push it back 15 mins at a time until it was closer to 1230 or 1.  What time does she go to bed at night?  I would think 5 hours would be the max you would want between wake up from the last nap till bedtime.  I also would cut out all nighttime bottles immediately.  She doesn't need them and they are not even comforting so I wouldn't offer.  I know it's not easy.  My DS woke up a lot at night and I weaned him at 14 mos and once he realized it wasn't an option he slept much better.

You did get some good advice on here.  Hopefully you will take some of it to heart.  
  • Options
    I'm sorry if I'm coming off as rude ladies , I'm honestly not a rude person an All you opinions are appreciated thank you
  • Options
    But done the CIO on my son when he was 1 1/2 and It worked for him so I tried it on dd about 2 months ago to no avail tho .. I'm not sure if ye are in Ireland ,I am ,it's not unheard of to be prescribed sleeping aid under doctor supervision .. I'm going to try put her to bed at 7 tonight instead of 8 , she woke from her nap at 2pm so I'm hoping it might help a little ?
  • Options
    I would try 730 (smaller transitions tend to be smoother).  Then maybe try 7 tomorrow.  And no more bottles!

Good luck
  • Options
    I notice that if she doesn't get enough sleep during nap time she all eps for crap at night. It's normal for my dd to wake 1-2 times. She used to try to stay up, but I did the Ferber for middle if the night after I nurse her. Now she goes back down before she's totally asleep. My DS was weaned at 14m and still didn't sttn until between 18-24 months.
    Keep trying and read a few sleep books.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Options
    So I put her to bed at 7:15 last night and she went to sleep about half ! Italy was still a disaster but gonna stick with the late nap today and bed at 7 again
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"