Attachment Parenting

Please rec a SSC

We are looking for a SSC for our toddler.  She is only 15 mo and 22 lbs now, but we want one that will last for a few more years.  If it can hold our newborn to, that is a perk but not necessary since we have other carriers.  Things that we definitely want are a nice big panel to hold her comfortably and a sleeping hood so her head doesn't bounce all over when she falls asleep.  We also want one that is not excessively bulky since we will wear it around the house and don't want to feel like we are strapping on a huge carrier.  Please tell me what you rec and why.  We don't want to spend a large amount of money (over $125) but we can be flexible it it's the "perfect" carrier. 

Re: Please rec a SSC

• Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited March 2014
    I love kinderpack. It has all the features you're looking for: it's panel is very wide (and comes in a toddler size too), it isn't bulky, it has a hood that folds down into the body of the carrier and snaps at the top, it's within your budget when they're on sale (and if you like them on FB, they have promo sales almost monthly that are 15-20% off).

I really like kinderpack because the prints are cute (some of them, anyway) and they add new prints all the time, sometimes weekly, and I really like how thin and malleable the material feels to me. I also really like that they can come with a mesh middle panel...so keeps baby comfy and cool in the summer.

https://www.kindercarry.bigcartel.com/category/instock-carriers
    imageimage
  • I got a bamberoo (they are NOT in the $125 price range, but I wanted a wrap conversion half buckle, so that made things more expensive) and I love it and still use it with my 40lb, 40" (nearly) 4 year old.  I got it off of babywearer.com's FSOT site.  I love it.

I would certainly recommend checking out their options, and seeing what people have up for sale ATM.
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Do you have a group near you so you can try on some different options and see what is the best fit?  There's really not an SSC that will give a big panel "perfect" fit for a toddler and safely carry a newborn so I would focus on finding something that works best for your toddler.  I'd ditto the Kinderpack suggestion - fairly easy to find and a great carrier - you'd want the standard size which is very generous (my almost 3 year old still fits in it fine although she could also be in the toddler size at this point).

The Action Baby Carrier would be a less expensive option (you'd want the toddler size) - it's also a bit lighter weight than the KP.  They are kind of on the opposite ends of the SSC spectrum (the KP has a very deep seat and sturdy waist; the ABC is a flat body and a padded waist) but I really like both.
  • ncbelle - Thanks for the response.  The nearest BWI group is a 2 hr drive for me and their next meeting is on a Thur.  So unfortunately I am not going to be able to get my hands on a lot of carriers I would like to see.  I have spent countless hours this past week scouring the internet for info and recs since that looks like how I will have to make my decision based on.  The biggest thing I have learned is that there is a big difference between a regular SSC and a toddler one. I was sold on the Boba 4G until I started researching.  I am also open to spending a bit more because toddler carries seem to have a higher price point.  

I posted this same question on my cloth diapering board and one of the gals suggested a Tula.  I am not doubting her suggestion as I know she is VERY knowledgeable on babywearing (in fact Tula is a front runner for me based on her rec)...I just want to know what you think about that one compared to the Kinderpack.  Another one I have looked at is the Onya.  The only toddler carrier I have tried is the Action and I did not care for that one.  Another feature that would appeal to us (other than the ones listed above) would be one that is on the cooler side since my hubby is a furnace.
  • Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited March 2014
    I like the kinderpack fabric better than the tula (it's smoother? And stays cleaner?). Also, if staying cool is something you value, the kinderpacks with the cool mesh panel are amazing. I'm totally biased, and everyone likes different things, but I do prefer kinderpack to tula. :)
    imageimage
  • True story…the standard Tula is almost identical to the Boba (the toddler Tula is of course bigger).  At 22 pounds, your toddler isn't going to fit in either the toddler Tula or the toddler Kinderpack for some time to come - and you really don't want a carrier that's too large!  Again my 3 year old is totally fine in a standard Kinderpack.

The Onya has less padding than the Kinderpack or Tula and fits smaller babies better due to the body shape.  If heat is a concern, you might be interested in one of the mesh panel Kinderpacks.  If you didn't care for the ABC you tried, then Kinderpack would be my final recommendation - really it is the best designed SSC on the market IMO.

Nothing against Tulas but they are SUPER hyped right now.  Good carriers but the chatter around them currently doesn't mean they are above and beyond everything else out there.  Again, the standard Tula is nearly identical to the Boba!!
  • Hey ncbelle ... check out my new standard Kinderpack I just ordered- 
    Your recs based on sizing really put us over the edge on this one.  I had my DH put on our Baby Hawk mei tai and I measured where we could use the extra room and where we had plenty of room.  And you're right, the 19 in width on both the toddler Tula and the toddler Kinderpack would have been far too wide.  I think the 17 in width on the standard will be perfect.
  • And thanks Emerald27 for the rec too!  I am soo freakin excited to get it!!
  • I recommend the Onya, but as I don't have a toddler yet, I can't vouch for that aspect. However, they do have a great comparison chart on their website!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"