March 2013 Moms
Options

Baby Signing

Anyone else teaching your LO to sign? What signs have they mastered?
Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby Signing

• Options
    Dd signs "more," but understands "milk" as well.
  • Options
    DD does ASL for "milk" but has her own signs for "patty cake", "open shut them", "more" and "shower". save patty cake and open shut them, I've been teaching her the correct signs for these words so I'm sure she'll pick them up eventually.

I also sign "eat", "all done" and "diaper". She does not sign these at all yet.

I tried "sing", "read" and "play" for a couple of months but gave up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I sign "all done," "eat," "yes," " no," "milk," and the alphabet to her on the the regular. I think now that we have "more" down I might add "please" in there as well.
  • Options
    We have "more" down and are working on 'milk"
  • Options
    DD says "more" and we're working on "done."
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Ds is starting to get more down and now I'm introducing all done, eat, drink, mother, and father.  He has shown that he does understand words in that he can be fussing and I will tell him "I'll be right back." or "Diaper first then bottle." and he will stop fussing for the moment.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Options
    We have been doing signs for DD since probably 6-9 months?  Now I can't remember.  But now she knows milk, all done, more, eat, drink, please and thank you.  It has really helped her to communicate with us!  We slowly add new signs in, I think it works best to focus on one or two at a time. 
  • Options
    jamujamu member

Ds is starting to get more down and now I'm introducing all done, eat, drink, mother, and father.  He has shown that he does understand words in that he can be fussing and I will tell him "I'll be right back." or "Diaper first then bottle." and he will stop fussing for the moment.

That is awesome! Makes me want to do baby signs...
    Code snippet: HTML, Used for websites, email and some forums. Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

What tools are you using to teach them to sign - I'm new to this concept but would love to give it a try!

• Options
    nikkituli said:

What tools are you using to teach them to sign - I'm new to this concept but would love to give it a try!

I just looked up the signs, and started using them regularly with DD and eventually she picked up on them.  I googled baby sign language and lots of helpful sites popped up.  The best advice I received initially that has worked well is to just start with a few at a time (we started with milk, more & all done), and as they pick up on them and start using them you can add more.  Just get in the habit of using the signs as you say the words in daily life, and eventually LO will pick up on it. 
  • Options
    CageyMackCageyMack member
    edited June 2014
    Our 15 month old signs bye, all done, milk, please, thank you, water and "more". Some are sloppy or his interpretation, but are very understandable given context. He has almost no words, though. He will bark like a dog, make a bear roar,and says "fff" for fish.

CageyMack
    37, married to my favorite person in the world, DW! One darling surfer-girl (12) and one darling, sweet boy born 3/16/13.

5/2013 Started TTC #3, DW's turn: 5/2013: Diagnostics (shg) and surgery (polyp rem.) for best chances. July-Oct: IUI # 1-4, medicated, monitored, triggered.  All BFN. IVF in Jan May. Sheesh. Whoop! IVF#1 cycle started 4/2/14. 5/1: 19 eggs retrieved, 8 matured, ICSI'd.  4 fertilized.   Only 2 to transfer/freeze stage. 5/6: Two embryos transferred. 5/15: Beta #1 9dp5dt is 134! BFP! 5/19: Beta #2 13dp5dt is 672! B'erFP! 5/21: Beta #3 15dp5dt is 1853.  Yay!

"Things separate from their stories have no meaning. They are only shapes. Of a certain size and color. A certain weight. When their meaning has become lost to us they no longer have even a name. The story on the other hand can never be lost from its place in the world for it is that place.” ― Cormac McCarthy, The Crossing

• Options
    JGYJGY member
    Our little buddy learned Milk pretty early on, before any words.  Now he has been picking up the signs along with the words, so he does both at the same time.  More is the big one, he also signs Eat, Please (we've been working hard on this one, without too much success).  He never took to the sign for All Done, but that was one of the first things he started to say.

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"