Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

? if your LO had the stomach bug

If your LO has had the stomach bug, how long did it last?  We are currently on day 4 of diarrhea with no signs of slowing down.  She isn't acting sick at all, and is still drinking ok.  Has thrown up randomly twice (once on Saturday and once on Monday).  Brought her to the pedi yesterday and he said to just make sure she stayed hydrated and gave us Soy formula to use because he said the lactose in her regular formula could actually make things worse.  He also recommended pedia lyte.  She now has a rash on her forward, neck, and chest,  Not sure if it's from the soy or not.  Either way, the soy doesn't seem to be helping at all as she has already gone to the bathroom 4 times today.  We have tried rice in her bottle instead of oatmeal (thickening for reflux issues) and bananas and still no luck.  I thought these bugs typically only lasted 24-28 hours??  This is probably more of just a "feeling helpless" vent more than anything.  Anyone else's LO have the stomach bug for multiple days??
<Lilypie First Birthday tickers> <Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers>

Re: ? if your LO had the stomach bug

• Options
    jtmomma13jtmomma13 member
    edited March 2014
    So we just had the stomach bug and it SUCKED. LO was throwing up though vs diarrhea. He did have a full huge blow outs but they weren't super watery. He started throwing up on a Friday and then he stopped but threw up again on Tuesday and Wednesday. 

I believe your pedi gave you soy formula because soy can be a little more binding and can be a little less harsh on the belly. I would personally try and give your LO smaller bottles but more often....just so your LO doesn't have as much to digest and it will be easier on the belly. My LO refused the pedialyte from a dropper so I just tried an oz every hour in a bottle and he usually took it down. Just make sure it's cold! 

Also- we did bananas once our pedi said to go ahead with solid foods and he threw those up on the Tuesday after no throwing for a good 3 days. So the solids might actually be hurting the belly more. So we stopped solids for a few days. 

I would call your pedi about the rash. I hate rashes. My LO gets them after his shots- every single time. And I always call. 

This stomach bug is a doozy so I would expect it to last a few days. Also while bugs are usually 24-48 hours in adults and most kids- infants don't have the immune system build up and they are just so much smaller so the bugs seem to hit them a little harder and longer. 

Good luck. It really sucks! I hope your LO is feeling better soon! 

edit: Also I would make sure to really dry her bum after changing and don't use wipes use wash clothes with water. And put some aquaphor or another barrier cream on her bum so that she doesn't end up with a diaper rash! 
  • Options
    thanks @jtmomma13!  Today is day 5.  We woke up to diarrhea EVERYWHERE!  It does seem to be getting a little better as she has only pooped 3 times today so far (it's been 5-6) and the last two actually had some consistency to them instead of pure liquid.  I called the pedi again this morning just to see if there was anything else we could do.  They also said the bug that's going around is nasty and has been lingering for a good 4 days or so.  With the amount of times she has been going to the bathroom, her bum is surprisingly not affected at all.  I am changing her as soon as it happens though.

Glad your LO is feeling better :)
    <Lilypie First Birthday tickers> <Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers>
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We just went through one and it lasted a week. Throwing up and diarrhea. We stuck to just BM, she seemed to keep that down. Then slowly added oatmeal and then bananas. Also fed her baby mums which helped. I was told by pedi we just had to let it run its course through her.

Hope your LO feels better soon
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @summerbabylove- ughhh that has to be horrible- poop everywhere! Hope your LO starts to feel better soon. 
  • Options
    Mine had diarrhea for two weeks with the stomach bug :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"