Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

what age for toddler bed?

Our family co sleeps at the moment and my daughter is 12.5 months. It's not that I'm necessarily unhappy co sleeping but I know I don't what to co sleep past 2 or so. Oddly enough I don't think its really the human contact that DD likes about being in bed with us I'm pretty sure she just likes the space, since she goes to sleep first and has the bed to herself for some time. So I feel like the natural progression to get her out of our bed is into her own real bed, not the crib.

I'm not in a huge rush but what do you feel is the appropriate timeline for toddler bed transitions?

Re: what age for toddler bed?

• Options
    We've ordered one and it's coming this week! She just seemed too big for her crib all of a sudden (she's 17 months) and also seems to prefer the space of a bigger bed. We put her down on our bed, and then put her into her crib when we go to bed - she seems to go to sleep better on the big bed.

When I travelled with her, she slept happily on a single bed.

Still nervous though - not sure what we'll do if she figures out she has the run of the house at night!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We switched over at 16 months mainly because we fell in love with this ioe toddler bed, but it turned out our son loved it too and it was an extremely easy transition. In your case, I wouldn't even think about transitioning from family bed to a crib, knowing you'll be transitioning again in the near future!! I would probably go straight to a toddler bed whenever you feel ready.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Nicb13 said:
    DS is 2 and although he sleeps in a crib, I don't plan on moving him to a bed anytime soon. He actually seems to like his crib though and I like having him contained at least until he's a little older.  I really couldn't imagine having him in an open bed, where he can get in and out as he pleases, between the ages of 1 and 2 but I've seen quite a few people on here that have done it.
    All this, except my son won't be 2 until June.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Like some of the others, DS2 is still in a crib and will be as long as I can keep him in there.  My oldest was in the crib until 3 and we only moved him then because he was potty training and needed to be able to get to the potty.  For our family, transitioning to a toddler bed isn't a milestone but I know that some people are really excited to make that switch.  We do it when it's necessary either for their safety or necessity for the potty.  

It may be easier since your LO is used to co-sleeping then give it a try.  I don't think there is any right or wrong time, it's what works best for each child and family.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"