Breastfeeding
Options

Yet another pumping question

Long intro- question at bottom if you wanna skip to it.

I posted a couple days ago, but as an intro I gave birth to my daughter 11 weeks ago and placed her for adoption- the hardest thing I've ever done. We have a very open adoption and I wanted to do everything I could for her, so I've been pumping. It's gotten to be too much for me to maintain- I'm a slow pumper so I have to pump 45 mins 8 times a day and in the Motn. Her mom is introducing a special rice formula this week (MSPI) slowly and I'll start to wean a day or two in.

So, question: I know often moms nurse only twice a day after a year. Has anyone been successful EPing twice a day and keeping a small supply going? I don't feel like I have to be done totally with pumping, but I start a new job soon and need my life back to be able to go out with friends without pumping in the car. If so, how much milk did you get? I feel like even 5 oz a day is worth it to add to her formula.
Birthmom to A, 1/8- the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao-Tzu

Re: Yet another pumping question

• Options
    CLLDLLCLLDLL member
    edited March 2014
    Everybody's body is different, but I tend to agree with PPs that you probably won't be able to keep your supply up for long only pumping twice.  Could you try pumping first thing in the morning.  Once over lunch, right when you get home and then right before bed?  That would get you to 4x a day, which I think would give you more chance of keeping a supply longer.

Also, 45 minutes seems like a really long time to pump to me.  I think it's recommended that you pump no longer than 30 minutes each time, preferrably 20 minutes.  

Could you have flanges that are too big or too small?  Check out Medela or Ameda's website for pictures of the correct flange sizes.  ETA: flange size can change over time, so what fit right after birth may not fit now! 

Have you changed out your membranes (and valves if you have an Ameda pump) lately?  Not having good parts can cause a loss of suction.

Are you doing breast compressions/massage while you pump?  That will help you get more letdowns faster. 

No matter what you decide to do, pat yourself on the back for a job well done.  Making it 11 weeks EP'ing is pretty darn awesome in my book.  You are an awesome mommy! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Options
    When I EPed, when my child was 6 weeks I started spacing out my sessions and I was actually making more total milk when I did that. I think you could still get a pretty good amount if you pumped every 12 hours or so. If I pumped every 3 hours I would get about an ounce per hour, usually 3 ounces, sometimes a little more. When I spaced it out to every 6 hours I was getting 8-10 oz from the 6 hour wait. Taking me from 24-30 oz per day to 35-40 oz per day. I say try spacing it out slowly and don't make yourself sit there for more than 30 minutes. Every little bit counts so anything you can give is wonderful for the child!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have no advice, but I think what you are doing is amazing, and I think however much you are able to continue to pump for the baby would be so special.  
  • Options
    I also have no advice, but I wanted to say what an amazing thing I think you've done and are doing.  If you can't keep it up, there's no shame in that.  You've already given your girl so much, and you should be proud of that.
    This x100. What an amazing thing you are doing. (((HUGS)))

• Options
    Thanks, all! I do have an Ameda Purely Yours. I've replaced the valves but not the membranes- it's taken me this long since day one. I massage during pumping, sometimes use  a hot compress, relax, use a nursing cover so I'm not watching, and have tried playing with speed and suction. If I pump less time I still feel really full and when I've tried limiting it to 30 mins for a day or more I got clogged ducts and my supply started dropping from not emptying. I was tempted to try the hospital grade pump but that was an awful large amount of money to just try it out. 

I'm a nanny- at my current job I pump when the baby is sleeping and it's not been a problem. My new job is so much better, but the kids are older (but not old enough to be self-contained while I pump) so I need to pump before and after work. Some days will be around 12 hours, so I need to be able to go that long without getting mastitis. Guess I'll do what I can and if I dry up, I dry up.
    Birthmom to A, 1/8- the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao-Tzu

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"