Multiples
Options

Twins and talking

Hi, my girls are 18 months- 17 months adjusted. They jabber tons but don't really
say any words that understandable besides dada, duck, and occasionally ma ma.  
I've read that many times twins talk later and I was just wondering if anyone had
experience with that. We read lots of book and are always talking but I can't 
seem to get them to say any other sounds.

Thanks for any input!

Re: Twins and talking

• Options
    Have you spoken to you pediatrician? They can probably better evaluate if there is a problem. I have not heard that twins are slower at talking, the ones I have worked with have been right on target.
  • Options
    One of my sons had a HUGE language explosion at 20 months, seriously from 5-6 words to two word phrases and some 3 word phrases. 
    I had them both evaluated at 18 months, they didn't qualify- they were both saying 5ish words.  At 2 yrs, I knew J was just fine- I had N reevaluated and he qualified.  He had speech with EI until he turned 3, and now he goes to the school district's preschool that provides speech therapy in a school environment.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LucyRicardo3LucyRicardo3 member
    edited March 2014
    I discussed my concerns with my pediatrician. My girls were 2 yrs old and still not saying much other than "Minion-eese" as we call it, other than "momma" and maybe "NO".
    Long story short, we got the referral to the state's Early Intervention program where they were evaluated and placed in the program. They have come SO far in their progress.
    The pediatrician initially told me that if for some reason they didn't qualify for the state's program (based on developmental delay) then she would have referred us to a private therapy evaluation.

I have no regrets, and I'm so glad I didn't put it off any longer.

Heads up-Some states have age limitations on their programs, as well. My girls will age out at 34 months of this program and we have to be re-evaluated to continue after that into a different level where I will have to take them to a local elementary school for therapy, where as now the therapist comes to my home.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• Options
    Thanks for the input! I know all children are different as well. We actually go for out 18 month appt. next week so I will bring it up and see what he says. 
  • Options
    Our pedi said the average 1 yr old has 5 words.  My kids had less than that at that time.  They did have a word explosion between 18 - 24 months.  Words I didn't even know they knew like coffee because I don't drink it at home. 
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Options
    We are in the process of getting a speech evaluation. Our boys are 19 months and have about 4 words each. We were referred by our pedi so I would definitely check with them as PPs have said. GL!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My twins are 17 months, 15.5 adjusted. One has about 6-7 words and the other has none. Their pedi expressed concern, but I think it's still pretty normal for their age. I vote for keep calm and devote some extra attention to the little mamas. :)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, I will be asking when we go to the pedi next week. I figure it can only help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"