Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Fly or Drive

I know it depends a lot on where you're going, etc.  But as a general rule, when you plan a vacation with a toddler, do you prefer to drive or fly?  Flying with a toddler seems like an absolute nightmare to me but a lot of vacation spots are 12+ hours of driving for us.

So do you plan vacations closer to home or just fly and get it over with?
                                                                                          BFP #1 3/2/12, T born 11/7/12
                                                                                             BFP #2  7/2/14, CP 7/6/14
                             BFP #3 8/28/14, MMC 10/2/14 @ 9wks - misoprostol 10/6/14, D&C 11/3/14 for retained tissue
                                   BFP #4 12/25/14, EDD 9/7/15 - please stick baby, you are so loved and wanted!!!!!                                                                                           

image  image                                                                      

Re: Fly or Drive

• Options
    I would much rather fly. My youngest doesn't do well in the car for long periods of time. I don't really either. ;)

• Options
    We have actually done both since my little one was 5 months old. Last week we decided to fly. My daughter is now 13 months and it was bad at all. On the actual plane she fell asleep and during our layover it was quiet and not a lot of people that I let her be free and walk around for a little bit.
    Driving we definitely make a lot more stops. As long as someone is sitting in the back with her the majority of the time she is a good car rider.
    I am 35 and my parents are very uncomfortable with the thought of me driving by myself 8 hours to visit my brother or 13 hours to visit my mother. If my husband is able to travel with us we drive, if he's not then we fly.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    All of our trips so far have required flying (5 so far I think). Our first road trip is actually next month (6 hours to get to the beach) so we'll see how that goes, but flying really isn't that bad as long as you are prepared.
  • Options
    mb314mb314 member
    Fly - any drive over 6 hours is too long, IMO.  We drive to may parents (4.5 hours away) but fly to DH's parents (9 hours drive away).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    This is incredibly vague but I would most likely drive if it's less than 12 hours.  But there are so many factors to consider as far as direct flight, whether you would need to rent a car, etc that it really depends.  I prefer driving because I like to be on my own schedule and not worry about my kids annoying other people.  
  • Options
    I think you will have to try it out to see which one will work.  DS has no problem flying but has issues staying in a car seat for any longer than an hour and half or two hours max.  I am sure that some toddlers have problems with flying and could saty in a car seat for hours.

Married - 10/10/2009

DS - Due 11/3/2012 born 9/28/2012 due to Severe Preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome

DD - EDD 12/30/15

"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou|| [url=http;//www.fertilityfriend.com]Ovulation Chart[/url|| <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</

• Options
    We did 7 hours when DS was a year old which was fine, but for 12 or more hours I think I would fly. We are going to fly with the kids for the first time this summer (they will be 4 and 1 1/2). I'm dreading it but there is not way I'm driving from southwest Florida to NYC!

• Options
    We are driving in the being of May to Florida which is 18 hours away from us. Our son just turned a year old this month. To fly would mean we would also need to rent a car for a week and the cost is too high for us. This should be a very interesting vacation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"