May 2014 Moms
Options

Breast Implants and Breastfeeding.

Ok I've done a ton of googling, talked to my doctor, and a lactation consultant. I've gotten mixed signals on all of them. From what I've figured out I can still breastfeed like normal, but I can be more prone to mastitis. I haven't been too worried about not being able to, until last night at my breastfeeding class. When I asked the instructor about breastfeeding success with implants, she didn't seem too optimistic.

My question is, is there any STMs who have had success with breastfeeding with implants? I know everyone is different. I just want to know how it was for you.

(Mine are over the muscle, and the incision is under the breast)
BabyName Ticker

Re: Breast Implants and Breastfeeding.

• Options
    candrew05candrew05 member
    edited March 2014
    Not a second time mom but Ive come to accept its something that is different for everybody like you said, and there is no way of knowing how itll go until you try.

Edit: Sorry that is no help. I really hope it works out for you. I am in the same boat.
  • Options

If  yes, then you are more likely to have a successful breastfeeding experience, if they don't change/respond to the hormones during pregnancy, then it may be more difficult.
    Don't have breast implants, but I think there is some truth to this.  I had major, major issues breastfeeding my first and my boobs (even though they are large and always have been) did not really change at all.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am very curious about this as well. I had my implants after my first. They are under the muscle and were inserted under the breast. I asked the doctor during my consultation if breast feeding would be possible and he said that some women are able to successfully nurse and some have problems but there is no way to tell until the time comes. I'm staying optimistic but not getting my hopes up.

With regards to boobs changing, mine have definitely grown quite a bit since pregnant and I have had typical changes and swelling so maybe that's a good sign!
  • Options
    I think it is hard to know until you get to that point. My cousin just had her second baby and she has implants and has been able to successfully BF both children so far.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• Options
    The most nerve damage and duct damage is done with incisions around the areola. This is more likely to negatively affect BF. However, damage can be caused no matter the technique. There's no way to know until the time comes. Even if your breast size changes, if you have enough nerve damage it can negatively affect sensation/conduction that helps with letdown so that's not necessarily an accurate measure of success or failure. I know different women who have had implants, all with different levels of success. One had a huge increase in breast size but couldn't express her milk and ended up with mastitis. She BF prior to her implants without issue.
  • Options
    FWIW, I don't have any personal experience, but I know many moms who've had successful BFing relationships after implants. Good luck mama!
  • Options
    Good luck! I really want to get implants after this baby - I would love to see an update after baby is here.

That One Gal From Alaska :)

• Options
    I'm hoping it works out, I went under the muscle and under the breast incision wise. Of course my doctor said it shouldn't be an issue, but time will tell.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I don't have implants, but I had surgery on my chest as a newborn that sliced across my areola. I have a feeling it will affect my ability to BF, so it would be interesting to hear if anyone has had any similar experiences (general breast surgery, not just implants) and had problems BFing.

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• Options
    IBackBevo said:

If  yes, then you are more likely to have a successful breastfeeding experience, if they don't change/respond to the hormones during pregnancy, then it may be more difficult.

Don't have breast implants, but I think there is some truth to this.  I had major, major issues breastfeeding my first and my boobs (even though they are large and always have been) did not really change at all.

This worries me because mine havent changed at all. :( Stay positive OP!
  • Options
    I'm not sure what type, but one of my close friends has implants and is still exclusively nursing her 15 month old. I do think it's possible and if your breasts have grown/changed during pregnancy that's a favorable indicator.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess I'll see how it goes in around 7 weeks! *thinking positive thoughts*
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    No experience with implants, but just wanted to say try posting this on the breastfeeding board you might get more answers...
    Also BFing success varies pregnancy to pregnancy. MIL (no implants) nursed DH successfully for 2 years but wasn't able to BF DH's younger brother at all.
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat :) I'm a FTM and had implants put in a few years ago. I had to have a lift in one breast so my incisions are through the areola. I'm going to try to breast feed but I'm not optimistic. My breasts haven't changed AT ALL this pregnancy. It just seems like the rest of my body is adjusting and changing and preparing for a baby, if my breasts were going to cooperate, I'd expect them to be changing a bit at this point but who knows? only time will tell :)

• Options
    I have implants and I was able to nurse my LO successfully until he was 17 months old. Mine were done through through the areola and I was told in the hospital that those incisions were the most likely to affect the ability to nurse successfully. The LC in the hospital also warned me that even if I was able to nurse, that due to having an implant my supply might not be that great due to the implant taking up space that the milk could use. Fortunately in my case, I didn't have a problem with supply either. Good luck!

After 4 years, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs our surprise miracle is here!
    My Blog

TTC # 2 BFP 03/02/13 = CP, BFP 05/14/13 = CP, BFP 08/09/13 = CP

RPL testing = normal

TI Cycle #1, 50 clomid days 3-7, 150 iu Follistim days 8-11 = BFP! EDD May 22, 2014

Betas: 13 DPO = 79, 15 DPO = 149, 19 DPO = 788, 22 DPO = 2031

• Options
    I successfully BF my son for 16 months. I have mine under the muscle and my surgeon put them in through an very small incision in my armpit....seems weird I know! But stay positive and at least try! I was told it would be difficult and all that mumbo and I actually ended up over producing and did very well. You just never know until you try!
  • Options
    No personal experience but I know plenty of people who have had success.  I am surprised you've been met with unsupportive answers to your concerns.  The best thing you can do is try and not beat yourself up if it doesn't work out.  

• Options
    candrew05 said:
    Not a second time mom but Ive come to accept its something that is different for everybody like you said, and there is no way of knowing how itll go until you try. Edit: Sorry that is no help. I really hope it works out for you. I am in the same boat.
    Pretty much this, regardless of enhancements or lack thereof, though I believe some procedures can make BF impossible or at least very unlikely to be successful (some lifts, most reductions, and most through-the-nipple implants).

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"