Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Confused about First Foods

DS is 15 weeks tomorrow and our Ped recommended us introducing rice cereal this week. After some research we found people recommending certain veggies, fruits, and whole grains instead. Do you introduce those foods after the cereal or in place of? 

Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Confused about First Foods

• Options
    Also, I don't want to introduce too early either but our Ped said he is ready... ?
  • Options
    This may be an old-school way of doing it, but I was always told to start with green veggies (peas, beans), yellow/orange veggies, etc. then onto fruits.  Feed the baby only that for 4 days before starting on the next.

We were told that cereal is just empty calories and that you should only use it if your child is lower in weight.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mhwood said:
    This may be an old-school way of doing it, but I was always told to start with green veggies (peas, beans), yellow/orange veggies, etc. then onto fruits.  Feed the baby only that for 4 days before starting on the next.

We were told that cereal is just empty calories and that you should only use it if your child is lower in weight.
    This! Our Pedi recommended this! I was told that cereal is not really nutritious and to start on green veggies first. Take it slow and don't introduce more than 2 new foods over a 10 day period. This helps to ween out allergies and gets babies digestive system prepared for the new foods.

View Full Size Image

Pregnancy Ticker

Losses:
     7/16/2014 @ 7 Weeks 2 days
     2/01/2015 @ 4 Weeks 4 days

• Options

https://commonhealth.wbur.org/2012/10/arsenic-in-rice

Why people are skipping rice cereal these days.

Our pediatrician actually advised against any brown rice as those are known to have higher amounts of arsenic than white rice.

We are just doing oatmeal for now. I can't see why your pediatrician is saying your LO is ready when it hasn't even hit the 4 month marker yet. That seems premature.

• Options
    We started with sweet potatoes, then tried pears, then did a multi-grain cereal to introduce LO to wheat. We did this in hopes than an early introduction to wheat will help LO avoid celiacs in the future (several of my in-laws have celiacs as does DH). LO's pedi said go ahead and try any individual fruit and vegetable and any cereal, just not to stick with one too long. 

My LO was all into eating solids for about a week, and then had no interest at all for a week. He's decided he's interested again, so don't be surprised if your LO does something similar.
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've decided to forego rice cereal which I told my pedi at LO's visit. She recommended a food with iron to start. I was a bit surprised but she said either a puréed meat or lentils. I think I will try the lentils first and then go from there. I didn't think it was. Normal to start proteins first, but I trust my pedi.
  • Options
    LO's pedi did mention that foods with iron were great to try, we just haven't gotten there yet. Lean meats are what she suggested, but she also said she couldn't find a way to cook any type of meat that her son would eat, so if I found a way to let her know. 
  • Options
    I'm not sure but our Ped said he thought DS is ready... DS is in the 75th percentile for length but 25th for weight (he was born at 36 weeks). Maybe he's trying to plump him up? He weighs 13.5lbs though so IDK... 

I just want to do what is best for DS :)
  • Options
    We started our son on rice cereal in the morning and fruits at night. After a couple months we moved to veggies and meats
  • Options
    Yes, he would be 11 weeks had he been on time. After doing more research we decided to wait. We are in no hurry! I'll definitely discuss it further at his 4 month appt now that I'm more informed.

Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    The American Academy of Pediatricians says that solids should not be started until approximately 6 months of age.  So for those of those who have doctors recommending it earlier you may want to ask why they are going the against the AAP.  
  • Options

While waiting for his 4 month appointment do some reading on introduction of solids.  There is a lot of information out there.  I would hesitate to follow the recommendations of a pediatrician who is pushing solids before a baby is even 4 months old.

https://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-when/

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/solids.htm

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/babyledweaning.htm

• Options
    roo1ooroo1oo member
    edited March 2014
    I hesitate to follow the advice of a blog/website over a pediatrician who has spent years studying AND practicing and has access to the latest studies. But I also follow my gut instinct. 

AAP is now recommending introducing solids between 4 and 6 months, including common allergens (excluding cows milk and honey), to help prevent children from developing food allergies. This is new within the last year.

Key word being introducing. Not making solids a nutritive part of the diet, its only for exploring taste, texture and how to eat something other than milk. 
  • Options
    I called our Ped and he said that he thinks DS is ready to start with super thin rice cereal (like soup) but does not want me to start anything else. He also said that because DS has reflux (he is on medication for it) that he thinks it will help. 
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice.
  • Options
    I also have a question for you moms with experience.  Our LO was 4 months on Monday. At his 4 month check up, Dr. said we could try solids.  Now for the most part he seems ready- he takes GREAT interest in seeing us eat, can hold himself up with back support.. the normal ques to watch for.  I have tried brown rice cereal with his milk in a very soupy consistency.. he wants no part.  I realize it is a learning process for them, and we have tried since Monday (the 4 month appt) for about 5 minutes each day, as Dr suggested.  I have even added in some banana puree I made to flavor it a bit, and still he makes a face like he is disgusted and doesnt open his mouth for the food, which I hear is a big indication they are ready.  Should we just be patient and keep trying every day or should I assume this is just too early for him??
  • Options
    Be patient, and also maybe try something other than rice cereal. Pureed bananas is a great first food. I started with sweet potatoes and LO LOVED them. He also loved pears. Try offering the food on your finger rather than a spoon. Also try eating a little of the food off the spoon in front of LO, to show that what you're giving him is food and not some other weird thing. Both have worked with my LO to get him started/restarted.

My LO started out very interested in eating for 2 weeks, then he went through about a week of showing no interest at all, not even for his previous favorites, then back to being into them. Yours may do the same, or just not be interested for another week or two. Just don't push it. You want to make food fun, not a requirement.
  • Options
    Thank you so much, very helpful hints (with just trying the fruit/veggies, and with finger not spoon).. I certainly do not want to push him, when he is ready I know he will be all systems go haha :)

• Options
    The American Academy of Pediatricians says that solids should not be started until approximately 6 months of age.  So for those of those who have doctors recommending it earlier you may want to ask why they are going the against the AAP.  
    This was what the AAP was suggesting but they changed it to introducing solid food between 4-6 months. By introducing earlier it reduces the risk of food allergies. (But not before 4 months. Just sometime between 4-6 months) https://www.komonews.com/living/health/Doctors-recommend-feeding-babies-solid-foods-sooner--196051151.html?mobile=y
    The article I found on the AAP website today says  "Delay introduction of solids until 6 months".  https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/111/Supplement_3/1662.full  

Whereas the AAP article mentioned in the link you posted is about growth rates and iron levels not allergies.  It states that introducing food earlier than 6 moths does not affect growth, has a small impact on iron levels, and they are still determining the importance of the findings.  
  • Options
    yeah.yeah. member
    That's too young, and rice cereal is totally unnecessary. Your pedi is way out of date on the recommendations.
  • Options
    yeah.yeah. member
    I also have a question for you moms with experience.  Our LO was 4 months on Monday. At his 4 month check up, Dr. said we could try solids.  Now for the most part he seems ready- he takes GREAT interest in seeing us eat, can hold himself up with back support.. the normal ques to watch for.  I have tried brown rice cereal with his milk in a very soupy consistency.. he wants no part.  I realize it is a learning process for them, and we have tried since Monday (the 4 month appt) for about 5 minutes each day, as Dr suggested.  I have even added in some banana puree I made to flavor it a bit, and still he makes a face like he is disgusted and doesnt open his mouth for the food, which I hear is a big indication they are ready.  Should we just be patient and keep trying every day or should I assume this is just too early for him??
    If he's not opening his mouth, he's not ready. 4 months is ridic young. Put the food away for another 2-3 months.
  • Options
    mysticl said:
    This was what the AAP was suggesting but they changed it to introducing solid food between 4-6 months. By introducing earlier it reduces the risk of food allergies. (But not before 4 months. Just sometime between 4-6 months) https://www.komonews.com/living/health/Doctors-recommend-feeding-babies-solid-foods-sooner--196051151.html?mobile=y
    The article I found on the AAP website today says  "Delay introduction of solids until 6 months".  https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/111/Supplement_3/1662.full  

Whereas the AAP article mentioned in the link you posted is about growth rates and iron levels not allergies.  It states that introducing food earlier than 6 moths does not affect growth, has a small impact on iron levels, and they are still determining the importance of the findings.  
    That article is from 2003. 

This one, while from the Canadian version of the APA, has a ton of references to newer studies published about how earlier introduction of solids may help prevent food allergies. There's a great article referenced about wheat allergies and how early introduction of wheat may help avoid celiacs disease in children with a predisposition to celiacs (my husband and several of his family members have it). 

No matter what, you gotta wait until your baby is showing interest in eating solids. Mine now begs (seriously begs like a dog) when he sees me eating. That was my first sign he was ready, how he watched me eat all the time, along with the others like sitting assisted and loss of tongue thrust. 

Listen to your doctor, find current research online, and make the best decision for you and your LO. 
  • Options
    We are only trying it out per the dr, but yes we realize it is young and if he isnt opening his mouth he definitely isnt ready... we are not pushing it for sure.  If he is happy with his bottles, then so am i.

• Options
    My LO has the exact same proportions!  He is tall (75th percentile) and slim (25th percentile) and was born & 41 weeks.  Formula is a tried and true way to plump them up, but I breastfeed mine because I want him to have my stellar immunities and I know it is better for his nutrition.  His growth trend is steady, and that is all that is important.  I would ask your pediatrician about the nature of her concerns... is he gaining weight fast enough or is it just for the fact he is in the lower 25th percentile of weight?
  • Options
    mhwood said:

• Options
    A few moms told me this saying: "Solids before one, are just for fun".  Do what's best for you and your baby :)  I tried rice cereal for the first time with my toots and he was not having it.  He's just not ready yet!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"