August 2014 Moms
Options

Those currently nursing...

I'm still nursing my 19-month old 2-3 times a day. I don't have much of a supply left, but he doesn't seem to care...it's just comfort for him. But when the milk does actually come out, it H.U.R.T.S. Not the let-down itself - that's fine. The milk actually coming out is so painful, it takes my breath away sometimes and has made me tear up a couple of times. On top of sore pregnancy nipples...but I can deal with that. Anyone else know anything about this or experiencing it?? Hoping it stops hurting so much soon...  :-S

Re: Those currently nursing...

• Options
    Still nursing my 2.5 year old. Her initial latch KILLS me, but after a few seconds that pain goes away and the sensation is just annoying. I'm able to distract myself enough through it. She's mostly only nursing now to fall asleep and when she's having a rough day, gets hurts, needs extra mama love. So it's tolerable and worth it for me to continue to provide her the comfort that brings her the most joy.

I almost quit a month or so ago, but after sobbing to my midwife about being so torn I decided to keep going. I just keep praying the pain goes away sooner rather than later.
    ALLI & ERIK - 12.12.10
    Stella - 7.7.11 | Ian - 8.6.14 | Isaac- 7.20.18
    #4 due 4.22.23

• Options
    The initial latch is still pretty painful here. I take a deep breath and blow it out as he latches and that helps me relax through it. Then, I always have my phone with me to read things during. I have cut him off a few times when he's going on 30 minutes and hasn't gone to sleep or let go to switch and I usually have to unlatch him when we falls asleep. I don't have the experience of the painful milk flow though, so I'm afraid I can't help with that other than to say try distractions. I've heard of people who will sing a song and when that's over, the session is over and you can sing faster or slower depending on how you're feeling. 

I've recently noticed the milk is looking more yellow lately. Are we starting to switch to colostrum production now? Perhaps the extra thickness is making it more painful? Not that there's really any way to help that. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm still nursing my 19-month old 2-3 times a day. I don't have much of a supply left, but he doesn't seem to care...it's just comfort for him. But when the milk does actually come out, it H.U.R.T.S. Not the let-down itself - that's fine. The milk actually coming out is so painful, it takes my breath away sometimes and has made me tear up a couple of times. On top of sore pregnancy nipples...but I can deal with that. Anyone else know anything about this or experiencing it?? Hoping it stops hurting so much soon...  :-S
    I've got this exactly.  I don't have a clue why.  I nursed my first through my second pregnancy and only had initial latch pain. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"