Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Cortisone shots while TTC/affect ovulation?

Christa3756Christa3756 member
edited April 2014 in Trying to Get Pregnant

I receive cortisone injections in my si joints (lower back) and my latest one was on Wednesday, March 19, 2014. I've been officially charting since the end of January but have kept good track of my cycles and cm prior to that and have a pretty good feel for what I'm looking for in terms of ovulation, good times to BD, etc. However, since my shots, my cycle has been completely thrown off and even though I usually ovulate on cd13, I have ZERO signs of impending ovulation (today is cd12). Beginning Thursday morning, the day after my shot, my bbt temps raised significantly and have remained high. Chances that I O'ed on cd9 or earlier are very unlikely.  My cm is not "progressing" to ewcm like it would have on cd10 or so. It's like everything is at a standstill.

I've only found some info on the internet - cortisone may mess with your hormones and delay or prevent O for up to 3 months, if you do conceive you may have higher chance of m/c.

I spoke with the nurse at my ob and she basically said it should be ok to TTC but that the shots may delay AF. She was unsure if it would affect O for sure and if so for how many cycles.

My question is have any of you experienced whacky charting, bbt, delayed O, cm, etc. after getting a cortisone shot? I wanted to get a good idea of what I can expect the next 3 months.  :)

~ Christa

Married June 2013 to the best husband in the world!

Re: Cortisone shots while TTC/affect ovulation?

• Options

Hi ladies :) I'm new to this forum and am happy to join all the TTC ladies out there! I have a question that I cannot find an answer to within the forums or much on the internet so I wanted to seek out any personal experiences anyone may have had with this.

~ Christa

• Options
    I had a cortisone shot shortly after my miscarriage (tendinitis in my thumb/wrist). I had a typical cycle for me and the cortisone shot didn't effect when I ovulated. I had a normal cycle afterward, and I was hyper aware of any differences due to my MC. I don't get the shots on a regular basis so I would speak with your doctor. Your O might just be delayed a bit for no obvious reason.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses, ladies. Greatly appreciated :) Still no sign of O but I'm appreciating the random bangs just in case :)

~ Christa

• Options
    just chiming in to say OOF to a shot in your SI joint. My SI joint got out of whack while I was training for a marathon. Luckily a chiro was able to snap me back into place in just two visits and then I was pain free, but in the mean time it was incredibly painful and I only really dealt with it for a couple weeks! 

i have had cotisone shots before but not while TTC. I would trust the nurse though :-)

BFP #1: 4/7/14, EDD: 12/16/14 -- Missed Miscarriage - D&C  on 5/13 at 9 weeks
    BFP #2: 10/24/14, EDD: 07/04/15 -- Chemical Pregnancy confirmed 10/27
    BFP #3: 11/28/14, EDD: 08/06/15 -- Strong heartbeat at 6 weeks, Missed Miscarriage - D&C on 1/9 at 10 weeks

rainbows
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"