School-Aged Children

Sex talk

I have a stepson who is 11 and will be 12 in October, he is with us every tues & thursday 4-8 and every other weekend. we are wondering if this is a good time to talk about sex, i think it is and my husband is clueless. so i am trying to gather info to share with my husband so he can feel confident about what to discuss. i think he should discuss it all and get a book to use for him and his son. i also read that some families have mom and dad together for support. how many of you here have both parents for the child?
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Sex talk

• Yeah, this is probably an ongoing conversation that should have started a long time ago, but there's no time like the present! DS1 just got the basic facts of sex last week because he asked me how babies are made.

A book would be a great idea so he can read it if he's too embarrassed to ask questions. He might prefer to just talk to his dad. What does his mom say?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A great book is this one:  

In my family, we've had both parents in on some talks, but we've also handled things with only one parents around, if topics happened to come up.  

I think in your situation, I'd try to get your H involved.  Maybe ask about this on the blended families board, too!
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes it is time, in fact it may be part time. I was having sex at 13, and I know many other people in my area were too. Now days, I hear of it even younger!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

There are a lot of good books out that coverer puberty and all that comes with it. One of those should be good. But at his age I think hes ready for the where babies come from, what STDs are and how you can get them ect

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"