Attachment Parenting

Best carrier for nursing a newborn

Any recommendations for a good carrier to nurse a newborn in? I have a 2 year old DS so I think I will need to be more hands free this time around. Thanks!

Re: Best carrier for nursing a newborn

• Ring slings are great for nursing. Also mei tais. :)
    imageimage
  • Do you already have a carrier you love or do you have a preference for one already in mind? as part of my babywearing educator training, I've nursed in every kind of carrier with the right finessing: pouch (properly fitted), ring sling, mei tai, soft-structured, and wrap. The hardest one I encountered was a Bjorn because of the way the straps hold the weight, but it was still possible. If we could make what you already have work for you, awesome!
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree that any carrier will work so you should pick the carrier that is most comfy for you.  I have info on carriers in my siggy that might be useful if you don't already have something you love!
  • I have a Moby and an Ergo. When DS was first born, I had a ring slimg, but couldn't get the hang of it. I was thinking of trying a ring sling again, but I am open to other suggestions. I had a really hard time nursing DS so I am hoping this time around is easier :)
  • ClaryPax said:
    To be honest I couldn't nurse a newborn in a carrier.  I had to wait until at least 6 weeks when they had more head control etc. 
    I had a similar issue.  I think it was more the size of my breasts than anything else, but I had to wait until he had more head/neck control.  Once we got there, I could nurse in anything - Moby, Ergo, Pikkolo, BabyHawk.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The legs in vs, out is a good point. When baby has legs out, especially if you use your Moby, it is easier to lower baby (if needed, based on your anatomy) to nursing height. Wearing baby legs out from birth is perfectly safe and is--IMO--optimal because it is easier to get a proper seat and knees-above-bum position without risking baby sitting on their feet in the carrier.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"