Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

experience with talking/electronic books?

So we read to my 21 month old DD all the time, but the last few months she has been losing interest in pretty much any book that doesn't have peek-a-boo type flaps. I have always steered clear of buying her any of those electronic type books she can push buttons on, just because I fear we won't be able to ever go back to "normal" storybooks/board books if she gets hooked on those. I do think she would love them though, and have been wondering if they're better than nothing. She's at the opinionated stage where if she doesn't like a book you pull out, she'll slam it shut and run off. Soooo....anyone have experience with talking books? Yay or nay??
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: experience with talking/electronic books?

• My mother bought my DD talking books. A leapfrog thing and a Winnie the Pooh story thing. They are dust collectors. My kids love just regular old books.
  • My brother bought my daughter a leap frog thing for Christmas. It's the one where you have the bowling pin shaped dog you turn on and move it over the book and it reads to you. My daughter loves to turn it on and off ( because it says her name) and occasionally she enjoys running him over the stars in one of the books so they sing to her. But for the most part it sits quietly, she much prefers real books. The library is a great place to get "new" books and then when she gets bored of them we take them back. I let her bring me whatever she wants to read, sometimes she sits and listens to the whole thing and sometimes two pages in she changes her mind and brings me a new one. I wouldn't bother spending money on talking books, the library is free.
  • Loading the player...
  • We save the talking books for the car to entertain DD. She hates being in the car, so it makes it a little bit easier. I don't see a problem with them, but she doesn't get to look at them often. She still loves her regular books. I agree that the library is a great idea. It may help her become more interested if she is not looking at the same books each day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Have you tried something that makes a bit of sounds, but not a "talking book" per se?  Something like "Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear?"  It has various animal sounds.  I also find that DS is very interested in his "old" books if I ask him to identify different things in the books.  It makes him feel very proud of himself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"