Pregnant after 35
Options

A little rant and question about genetic testing

Hi ladies- first a rant...I am so annoyed that I can't seem to have discipline over my cravings! I have battled with food for....always. The last couple of years I've been in a really healthy place- healthy weight, not giving in to cravings all the time (but sometimes!) and felt great. I followed a fairly low carb, higher protein, everything in moderation diet. I now feel totally powerless to resist my cravings for carbs and sugar. I'm starting to feel better as I approach 11 weeks, so I'm eating healthier meals, but the sugar...ugh! I'm convinced I'd feel better if I could just resist the sugar and some of the carbs, too. On a totally different note...at what point did most people have the NT test? This is a sonogram, righT? I go for my second appt on Friday and they said they'd talk to me about genetic testing at that appt. I'm assuming if we opt for the blood work (and we will) that they would do it then. Any insight is appreciated. This is my first time around at AMA. Thanks, ladies!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: A little rant and question about genetic testing

• Options
    KateLouiseKateLouise member
    edited March 2014
    Hi there,
    with both my daughters all I wanted to eat was cake and biscuits, but as soon as they were born all I wanted was salad. I put on 50 pounds, and lost it all within 9mths.

I'm a big believer in listening to your body. If your body wants carbs then that's what your body wants. Maybe look at nutritious carbs like fruit and grainy bread, rather than donuts, but try and relax into.

Also if this is something you've battled for a long time, and perhaps you've never practised listening to your body rather than following "rules" of how you eat (not quite sure how you approach eating from your OP) maybe this could be a good time in your life to explore that.

Also do you have very bad morning sickness? Because morning sickness is a game changer, and once you're past that, it is easier to eat a more balanced diet.

I'm in NZ and the NT testing we commonly do is a combined reading of scan and blood test. It's done between 11 and 13 weeks. There is a 2nd tri screening you can do, but I don't know what the details are.

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I haven't had morning sickness, but a general sense of "yuck" and difficulty preparing food because of the smells. In the last couple of years I had really settled into listening to my body as opposed to listening o what other people said I should do. Just having a tough time staying away from the junk!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    NT is an ultrasound and a blood test. You can get an additional blood test to check your LO genes and also find out the gender of the baby if you choose too. It's around 12-15 weeks when done.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    QOTRQOTR member
    I wanted nothing but salty comfort type foods in my first trimester.  Once the low-level hangover feeling went away, I returned to my normal cravings for veggies and fruits. 

Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Options
    I am craving carbs and sweets right now, well into my second trimester. I am normally a veggie and fruit gal, for the most part. I am letting myself indulge a little right now without going completely overboard. 

I had the Materniti21 test at 10.5 weeks and the results came back within a week. That test gave me incredible peace of mind. I also had another blood draw at 16 weeks to test for spina bifida, because I was at higher risk based on family history.

CafeMom Tickers

January PAL siggie challenge; Good advice:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"