May 2012 Moms
Options

GTKY locale edition

We haven't done a getting to know you in a while so lets gets get to know about where live

Where do you live:

How long have you lived there:

What type of home do you life in:

What type of area (suburbs, city, rural):

Restaurant you'd tell out-of-towners to visit:

What are the seasons like:

Great places to visit or activities to do in your area:

What is over-hyped by others that you just don't understand the appeal of:

If you could change one thing about your town, what would it be:

Do you have any neighbors that you avoid or have conflict with?

How about eclectic wacky neighbors (cat ladies, funky artists, etc):

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: GTKY locale edition

• Options

Where do you live:
    Mastic Beach, NY (Long Island)

2.5 years

1 family house

Suburban beach town

for Chinese New Rooster Kitchen
    for pizza/italian John's Pizza

We have four season, summers get really "buggy" with the mosquitoes and winter we get an average amount of snow. The spring and autumn are amazing!

The beaches are really nice but some of them get crowded in summer. There are tons of hiking trails scattered around Long Island. Two towns over is a great playground for the kidlettes. An hour west you can visit NYC and east you can go to the Montauk Point lighthouse. There are museums to fit any interest on Long Island. I would also recommend Bayard Cutting Arboretum and Planting Fields Arboretum. History buffs would love Sagamore Hill (Teddy Roosevelt's home) and if you love the stars the Vanderbuilt Planetarium is a must see.

The Hamptons (maybe I'd feel different if I were wealthy, but even the typical bars/clubs don't appeal to me)

crime and the over abundance if rental homes with unsavory landlords/tenants

2 houses away are criminals. Their drug dealing son died in jail. The house across the street used to have renters that were related to them, too. Luckily, it got flooded so no one has been renting. The landlord has been slowly fixing it. Just hoping the next renters are higher quality (e.g. not criminals and hopefully not related to the other family)

we have snow-bird older couple next door that are awesome. They have a funky RV and the husband is some sort of semi-retired professor or engineer. And WE are the weird "crunchy" neighbors that use a reel mower, garden in the front yard, and paint things weird colors.

• Options
    We haven't done a getting to know you in a while so lets gets get to know about where live

Where do you live: Albuquerque

How long have you lived there: less than a year

What type of home do you life in: single family

Suburban "city"

Restaurant you'd tell out-of-towners to visit: We haven't been to that many restaurants yet but liked-
    Thai Vegan
    Annapurna's World
    and Sadie's

We haven't been here long enough to experience all of the seasons, but Winter was pleasantly mild.

There are great hiking trails and mountain views. We've been to the children's museum and a nature conservatory that were fun. We're planning to take the train up to Santa Fe soon.

I can't think of any.

If you could change one thing about your town, what would it be: better public transportation!!! We moved here after years of living in NYC so I guess we were spoiled. But Abq has aong way to go with their bus system. Melissa's post made me homesick. :(

Do you have any neighbors that you avoid or have conflict with? Not yet.

Our neighborhood is predominantly older/retired people. I have neighbor a few houses down who is a painter (in his 80s) and he is fun to talk to, in part because I am a visual artist, or I was before DD was born!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    picklesxpicklesx member
    edited March 2014

Where do you live: Central New Jersey

How long have you lived there: Essentially my entire life, just bounced around between towns.

What type of home do you life in: Single family house

What type of area (suburbs, city, rural): Suburbs

Restaurant you'd tell out-of-towners to visit: Honestly I haven't been to too many places in the area that aren't chains.. DH has always been super picky about where he'd eat and sticks to chains.

What are the seasons like: summer is bearable, but for me 85 degrees is ideal. Winter isnt normally too terrible but this year we've had record setting lows and more snow than in one winter than we've had in a long time.

Great places to visit or activities to do in your area: six Flags Great Adventure...the beach and boardwalks..lots of outlet malls with higher end brands...lots of parks and reservoirs

What is over-hyped by others that you just don't understand the appeal of: Nothing really but I wish people would stop viewing people who live in NJ as the idiots that MTV cast in their show.

Do you have any neighbors that you avoid or have conflict with? No

How about eclectic wacky neighbors (cat ladies, funky artists, etc): no, but we do have a halfway house directly behind us. Apparently they are all over in regular middle class neighborhoods, disguised as regular homes. Wish we would have known that before we moved in, considering my husband is an officer in a facility where many of the residents were released from. Thanks for the heads up, realtor!

BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
    Baby boy #2 | due 4.13.15
  • Options
    picklesx I haven't been to Six Flags in years! Think I may have to make a trip this summer. Ugh for the halfway house. Yeah, realtors don't exactly like to include that in their sales pitch.

• Options

picklesx I haven't been to Six Flags in years! Think I may have to make a trip this summer. Ugh for the halfway house. Yeah, realtors don't exactly like to include that in their sales pitch.

I havent been to six flags in I'd say at least 5 years...It's only a 10 minute drive on 195 for us, so I might look into a season pass this year just to have somewhere close to home to bring DS. I think they redid/expanded the kids' Bugs Bunny Land not too many years ago so it might be something to check out.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
    Baby boy #2 | due 4.13.15
  • Options
    Where do you live:
    Sunny San Diego :)
    Since 2003
    In a house

Suburb, but not far from the city

The mission for their awesome cinnamon french toast
    Almost all the same :)

Go to the beach, or really anything outdoors
    Facebook
    Less traffic
    Oh yes, next door there is a crazy lady that is always complaining.  I avoid her like the plague
    She's the wackiest neighbor.  We used to live near a mariachi band but they moved thankfully :)
  • Options

Where do you live:  Massachusetts

How long have you lived there:  All of my life but college and 8 weeks in Hawaii

What type of home do you life in:  2 Family, we rent the bottom (and i'm so done with this)

Suburbs

Jacky's Galaxy (bomb sushi) or Somerset Creamery for ridiculous ice cream.

f'ing cold right now!  LET'S GO SPRING GET IT TOGETHER.  Summers can be wicked hot, but right now I'd give my right arm for 75 degrees.

Great places to visit or activities to do in your area:  Boston, Newport... love being outside and just walking around, plus tons of great stuff to do with kids!

What is over-hyped by others that you just don't understand the appeal of:  Battleship Cove

If you could change one thing about your town, what would it be:The Politics of it, right now we are screwed with a second power plant closing.  Taxes are going to go through the roof in the next few years (hence why we are looking for a new house!)

Do you have any neighbors that you avoid or have conflict with? Nope

How about eclectic wacky neighbors (cat ladies, funky artists, etc):  Nope

• Options
    Where do you live: Northeast, PA
    How long have you lived there: All of my life

What type of home do you life in: Single Family House

Rural

We are lucky to have a large population of Italians so we have some pretty awesome Italian restaurants and pizza places. 

We get a good mix of all four but winter is rough sometimes. This year was the worst winter we have had in a decade. I am very ready for spring to come. 

Great places to visit or activities to do in your area: We have a really awesome small town feel. There is always something going on at one of the churches or the fire halls and in the summer it feels like there is always a farmers fairs, carnival or block party happening. Also, 40 min away a stadium for the minor league Phillies team was built a couple of years ago and that is really nice. 

What is over-hyped by others that you just don't understand the appeal of: The Pocono's. I don't really understand why it is a vacation destination. It has its good points but it doesn't scram vacation destination to me. 

If you could change one thing about your town, what would it be: The close mindedness. I have noticed things have gotten much better has a younger generation starts getting involved but we still  have a ways to go. 

Do you have any neighbors that you avoid or have conflict with? Ugh, we do not like our one neighbor. He is constantly making "improvements" to his property but he never finishes. I have been looking at a half done deck for three years. 

How about eclectic wacky neighbors (cat ladies, funky artists, etc): Our other neighbors are awesome but a bit wacky. I noticed the grand kid had a turtle so we were talking about his pet. Apparently where they lived before they would take in turtles and let them roam around their house for the winter and then put them back in the pond in spring.  

• Options
    Where do you live: the armpit of NY, up state but not way up state

How long have you lived there: 29 years

What type of home do you life in: a single family we've owned for 7 years

suburbs

A spedie and rib pit spedies are a local thing and so yummy

Spring is wonderful, summer can get hot but only for a few weeks, fall is wonderful and winter lasts from November until April and sucks

there are a ton of carousals  in are area which are really neat and of course nearby Ithaca has so many great gouges to hike

What is over-hyped by others that you just don't understand the appeal of: nothing really

If you could change one thing about your town, what would it be:  that there isn't a whole lot to do

Do you have any neighbors that you avoid or have conflict with?  no but either side of us do and so that sucks

How about eclectic wacky neighbors (cat ladies, funky artists, etc):  lol yes we live next door to my dh aunt who is the crazy cat lady she has 3 dog and 13 cats
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options
    Where do you live: North-Central CT, on the MA border

How long have you lived there: almost a month in this house.  Moved DH & DD back to my hometown :)

What type of home do you life in: single family raised ranch

farm town- suburb

Rancho Viejo- awesome mexican restaurant in next town :)

four distinct seasons, right now we're "enjoying" the drawn out end of winter.

Great places to visit or activities to do in your area: water sports! we live very close to a recreational lake.

What is over-hyped by others that you just don't understand the appeal of: the usual small town ignorance "THAT doesn't happen HERE" It has, it does, it will. we have an extremely low crime rate, drug problem, etc. but we have one, nonetheless.

If you could change one thing about your town, what would it be: proximity to activities. Love the town, don't love driving 30ish minutes to go places.

Do you have any neighbors that you avoid or have conflict with? not yet, we're pretty new:)

How about eclectic wacky neighbors (cat ladies, funky artists, etc):  We live across the street from a divorced mom of 3 who has 45 minute- 1 hour "meetings" with visitors who all drive different vehicles. DH is convinced something sinister is going on.  (I'm sure it's nothing, but what's the fun in nothing?!)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ReTRoRenegade07

Where do you live: North-Central CT, on the MA border

How long have you lived there: almost a month in this house.  Moved DH & DD back to my hometown :)

What type of home do you life in: single family raised ranch

farm town- suburb

Rancho Viejo- awesome mexican restaurant in next town :)

four distinct seasons, right now we're "enjoying" the drawn out end of winter.

Great places to visit or activities to do in your area: water sports! we live very close to a recreational lake.

What is over-hyped by others that you just don't understand the appeal of: the usual small town ignorance "THAT doesn't happen HERE" It has, it does, it will. we have an extremely low crime rate, drug problem, etc. but we have one, nonetheless.

If you could change one thing about your town, what would it be: proximity to activities. Love the town, don't love driving 30ish minutes to go places.

Do you have any neighbors that you avoid or have conflict with? not yet, we're pretty new:)

How about eclectic wacky neighbors (cat ladies, funky artists, etc):  We live across the street from a divorced mom of 3 who has 45 minute- 1 hour "meetings" with visitors who all drive different vehicles. DH is convinced something sinister is going on.  (I'm sure it's nothing, but what's the fun in nothing?!)
    Your town sounds nice!

• Options
    @melissamiso Thank you :) I moved back here because of the proximity to my parents (WHO ROCK) as well as the awesome school system.

the only other place I've really lived was a big-ish city for college, and I was not one for small yards and apartment living.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"