Adoption
Options

Drug exposure?

What do you know about drug exposure? I'm such a newbie to this. :)
Baby Boy born sleeping at 20 weeks.

Re: Drug exposure?

• Options

There might be something in the FAQs, and if you scroll down a bit I think someone asked about it recently and there were some good resources there.

Also if you have a family dr or pediatrician in place, you can run it by them as well. Our family dr went over the different drug exposures and what effects they may have on a developing child.

• Options
    There are lots of topics lately about this. Here's a Readers Digest version...

Don't be afraid of methadone. It's hell for them to withdraw from but they use morphine when/if symptoms present and then ween from morphine. Plan on a couple of weeks in NICU with it but symptoms typically do not last over a year or so.

Honestly, our son was born at 35 weeks addicted to methadone, spent 14 days in NICU at 5 lbs. Three months later he's fat and happy and nobody would ever know if we didn't tell them. His only signs is a slight tremor in his feet when he gets upset and he is extremely gassy. Other than that, he's pushing 13 lbs already, sleeps well, eats very well and just loves to play and smile.

Alcohol is the worst thing that they can be introduced to in the womb. Everything else is case by case and depends on how much and how often. 
    Proud 40 year old, first time daddy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    CeCe8579CeCe8579 member
    edited March 2014
    I can message you some info that we just learned at our last class if you'd like. That was the focus of the class. Just let me know!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Options
    fredalina said:
     I know anecdotes aren't so great. My kid could be 100% perfect and hours could be severely effected; you just don't know. However, I don't remotely regret our decision to be open and I think my kid is going to be just fine. She certainly has parents dedicated to making it so.
    This is where we are too. We weren't open to most drugs (other than pot), but were open to occasional alcohol use, esp before the BM knew she was pg. Our SW was clear to note that a lot of women drink before they find out they're pg, so finding someone with zero alcohol exposure may be tough. DD's BM didn't know she was pg, and drank socially on the weekends with her friends. DD is fine, no issues at all. As fred mentioned, it's tough because one person's child could be fine and another could have serious issues. And you also have to keep in mind that you're getting self-reported information. Exposure could be different from what's reported.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"