Birth Stories
Options

Extremely positive induction w/epidural

I read that inductions usually resulted in long and very painful labors or that there was a liklihood that it would end in a C section.  This was not the case for me at all, although I was nervous when told that they would have to induce.

On the morning of December 5, 2013, I left for work and felt what I thought was increased discharge.  Before going home that evening, I felt it more and started to wonder if it was my water leaking.  I called my OB on my way home from work and since I was leaking fluid, he told me to go to L&D.  At L&D they took a sample and confirmed it was amniotic fluid.  My water DID break and it had been a slow leak all day.  Since my water had broken several hours beforehand and I wasn't having any contractions, they said i would need to be induced and hooked to antibotics to prevent an infection.  I was terrified.  My due date was still 2 weeks away, I had no hospital bag, and hadn't eaten since lunchtime (it was now 7pm).

I was admitted to my room and hooked up to the IV/all the monitors.  I was not dialted at all.  After the pitocin was started, I just laid in bed for 6-7 hours before feeling anything.  I had to get up to pee a million times though. ugh.  So it's the middle of the night and my contractions finally start.  They start off feeling like dull menstrual cramps, which to me just feel like a dull pain in my pelvis, not crampy.  They build in intensity and I start asking for the epidural.  The pain was not excruciating or unmanageable but I didn't want to find out how bad it could get.  I had to wait about 20min for the anastesiologist.  When he arrived, I sat at the edge of the bed, leaned forward, was told not to move, and he administered the epidural in between contractions.  This wasn't painful, just a pinch.  I was numb pretty quickly but could still feel pain on the left side.  I let him know and he fixed it.  Hallelujuah.  I felt great.  I went from 0-9cm very fast in about 1 hour and was then told it was time to push.

My husband held one leg, the nurse held the other, and I pushed for 40min.  I did not feel a thing, only pressure, which was how I knew when to push. Baby girl Riley was born at 12:46pm on December 6, 2013.  Her Apgar score was an 8.

Not everyone equates a painless birth with a perfect birth but I had a great experience and my daughter is healthy.

Married June 23, 2012

TTC #1 December 2012
DD born December 2013 

BFP  January 2015
Due October 2015

Re: Extremely positive induction w/epidural

• Options
    that's an awesome story! I'm 36 weeks with my first and they are trying to get me to 39 weeks then induce me. but due to high bp and stuff they may induce me this wendsday april 2nd 2014. any advice for me if they do induce me this week?
  • Options
    that's an awesome story! I'm 36 weeks with my first and they are trying to get me to 39 weeks then induce me. but due to high bp and stuff they may induce me this wendsday april 2nd 2014. any advice for me if they do induce me this week?
    My advice is don't assume it's going to be terrible.  Try to stay relaxed and sleep while you can to save your energy. If you want pain medical intervention, make all of the medical staff aware as soon as you're admitted and remind them when contracts start :)
    Married June 23, 2012

TTC #1 December 2012
    DD born December 2013 

BFP  January 2015
    Due October 2015

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"