Third-Party Reproduction

Surrogacy & C-Section

Hi All! I recently had my first baby, via emergency c section. My husband and I plan to have one more and then I plan to be a surrogate for my sister and her husband. She has a condition that caused her uterus to never develop so she is not able to get pregnant or carry a child. Does the c-section pose any risks to this? Can multiple pregnancies with c-sections ever become a problem? This of course is years out but I want to be fully prepared. Are there any good surrogacy websites with information? THANK YOU!

Re: Surrogacy & C-Section

• Every c/s carries risk, and the more c/s you have generally the more risks involved.  Most agencies/RE's will approve you with up to 3 c/s, some more some less.  Would you be a candidate for VBAC?  Make sure that you're happy with the size of your family BEFORE carrying for your sister, it's not unheard of for a surrogate to lose her fertility carrying for someone else, there have been surros that have become IM's.  
    Check out:
    surromomsonline.com
    allaboutsurrogacy.com

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • I agree with mama-bear, but wanted to add It also depends on what type of csection incision you had too.
    Does your sister have a RE? If so you could go & see what his requirements he has & how he feels about your csection.
    Best of luck to you & your sister!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Mama-Bear said:

Every c/s carries risk, and the more c/s you have generally the more risks involved.  Most agencies/RE's will approve you with up to 3 c/s, some more some less.  Would you be a candidate for VBAC?  Make sure that you're happy with the size of your family BEFORE carrying for your sister, it's not unheard of for a surrogate to lose her fertility carrying for someone else, there have been surros that have become IM's.  

Check out:
    surromomsonline.com
    allaboutsurrogacy.com

I would love to try a VBAC.. I know my doctor does not do them so I would have to go elsewhere. But I also know the risks it carries so I don't know if I could take that additional risk.
  • I had a c/s with my twins due to breech presentation.  I was hoping for a VBAC with my last pregnancy but 41w came and he still showed no signs of wanting to come out, my OB didn't feel it was safe leaving him inside any longer so I had a RCS.  If I get pg with just 1 again I'll probably switch docs to try for a VBA2C, if I get pg with multiples I'll just take the 3rd c/s.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • @alexpierce88 I've thought about being a gestational surrogate but the c/s is a concern of mine too.  I had an emergency C with DD, my doc wants me to try a VBAC if we have another child.  I would definitely see what the RE thinks and also ask the OB that performed the c/s.  
    *****siggy*****
    Me: 33 (Mosaic Turner's Syndrome/POF) 
    DH: 35 (no male factor)
    3/10 - Foster Mr. T for 1 month
    3/11 - Foster AL for 1 year
    7/11 Known donor retrieval 7 fertilized 
    7/11 DE Transfer -BFP & 5 FE
    4/9/12 Miracle baby girl arrives!
    Planning for FET 7/14

• edited November 2014
    [EDITED BY MOD]
This discussion has been closed.