July 2012 Moms
Options

Am I wrong? WWJ12 do?

I was taking DH to work this morning and he wanted to play this new CD he got. It was hip hop, which is fine, but within a minute of the song he had said a racial slur after every sentence about 5 times, and had said several swear words. I told DH how many more times is he going to say that? He got upset and we got into an argument. I told him DD is at the age now where she mimics stuff she hears and I do not want her picking language like that up. Plus, that type of music is not stimulating to the brain and DS doesn't need to hear it either even though he doesn't know what is going on.

DH part of the argument was "Well I like hip-hop and the kids are always around so I can never listed". I told him most of the time I do not take him to work, so he can listen in the car to work and from work and he also can listen on his laptop with headphones, or he can close the door to our bedroom and listen to it. He had a complaint for almost every suggestion and blamed me that this never happens.

I am irritated because it seems like he doesn't care that DD can pick up on certain language and he said he never gets to listen to it. I wanted to say"  Well you have kids now so you adjust and you need to listen on your own time" but that would have made it even worse. So now he went to work mad at me. This is carrying over from yesterday when he asked me to cook something after knowing I had already fallen asleep earlier from being so drained during the day, put both kids to sleep and did some housework...while he was in the bedroom watching Youtube videos. I burst into tears like you are seriously asking me to cook you something right now when most of my day was hectic, I put the kids to sleep and cleaned up? He said "fine don't worry about it." My DH KNOWS how to cook and we had plenty of stuff he could make, he just didn't want to do it.

Sorry for the vent, but it has been bugging me. What would you do in this music argument?
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage

Re: Am I wrong? WWJ12 do?

• Options
    aylafsu88aylafsu88 member
    edited March 2014
    I think you are right. I know that he likes that music and it is fine for an adult or even a mature teenager. However, I think it is inappropriate for a small child to hear it especially when they cannot understand the words and the true meanings they may have. It sucks for your H but he should realize that it is not going to be cute or funny when you kid is running around saying fuck or racial slurs all the time. I also think you gave him reasonable ways to still hear his music and enjoy it. He needs to realize he cannot have everything he wants and has to compromise.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    KarmB said:
    im all for exposing my kid to different types of music. She likes Metal best. But slurs and swears I draw the line because she is such a spongue and dosent know thats a naughty word.
    I agree with this. We play a variety of stuff all the time, but in close quarters like the car, I do not want her hearing stuff like swearing and slurs. The fact this was even an argument bothers me because he wasn't even thinking of our kids, just himself.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    @Bliz1712 I completely agree. They may not use slurs or curse words but the meaning and the statements can be just as bad.
  • Options
    zyaszyas member
    @TaviaBrad I'm on your side. Whereas we play most kinds of music around Ava, I wouldn't play any that has a lot of swear words or racial slurs. She is repeating everything she hears now and I do not want her going around shouting all those words out! You gave your H plenty of options of when he can listen to his music. He needs to grow up and realize he's a father and things change when you have kids. 

And about him whining about you making him something to eat.... he's an adult, he can make his own food if he's hungry! I'm sorry he made you feel bad :(
  • Options
    Why is "that type of music not stimulating to the brain"?

I'm with you on the language thing, but the brain stimulation argument is a no go for me.
    Oh, I have read studies about when children are that young, hip hop may not be the best music for the brain because of it's content and the vocals can be "hard" as in the style in which they choose to rap. I heard a lot of times stuff that is much lighter instrumentally and softer vocally is better. I do not know how true that is, but I have never wanted to chance it.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    TaviaBrad said:

I'm with you on the language thing, but the brain stimulation argument is a no go for me.
    Oh, I have read studies about when children are that young, hip hop may not be the best music for the brain because of it's content and the vocals can be "hard" as in the style in which they choose to rap. I heard a lot of times stuff that is much lighter instrumentally and softer vocally is better. I do not know how true that is, but I have never wanted to chance it.
    Huh. I've only ever heard the opposite.  Either way, do what you want, but I think the language thing is a much stronger argument.
    Really? I may have to look again, regardless it had lots of swearing and slurs in it so I still wouldn't do it. For almost every issue you can find pros and cons to both sides, I just did not want to chance it.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    TaviaBrad said:

I think I heard something about this as well. Isn't that one of the arguments that they use to push/promote baby mozart music?
  • Options
    It sounds like the issue is deeper than just his music choices. It really sounds like you and your husband don't communicate well.
    Make it clear what you want and expect from each other. I feel like I've read you say "He knows" or "He should know" on many occasions. He won't know until you tell him.
    This comes from a place of been there, done that, not judgy or snarky. The early years of our relationship had me thinking/saying "Brian should know..." 15 years later he knows what I want/feel because I tell him.
    "Parenting is a constant struggle between making your kid's live better and ruining your own." Willie Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty'
    Anniversary IMAG1763 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Bliz1712 said:

While I agree with most of the comments, I'm going to play devils advocate.  Some of the more mainstream pop music can have just as bad tones or implications as most hip hop songs.  Yeah they don't come right out and say bad words or slurs but they could still repeat stuff from those songs that would be just as bad.  

Take American Idol this week and the huge discussion over a song selection by Faster by the People "Pumped up Kicks" ( I think I have the name and song right).
    I love Foster the People! I think media tells people what they should take form music, and not letting the listener make their own conclusions (as most artists would prefer). I love Pumped up Kicks and Blured Lines, (fc??) But what everyone is saying the songs are about is not what I took from them.

"Parenting is a constant struggle between making your kid's live better and ruining your own." Willie Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty'
    Anniversary IMAG1763 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @kitchencolors That makes sense. I have heard of Baby Mozart but never researched it. It is not surprising that it is a marketing ploy to get you to buy their music. It sounds a lot like Baby Eisenstein. I do not think those books/videos are any better than others.
  • Options
    aylafsu88aylafsu88 member
    edited March 2014
    @kitchencolors From what I know baby Einstein is mainly books and videos. I got some from my SIL who raved about how they make your kids so smart. To me they look like regular books/videos and I did not find anything special about them. I think the name attracts people to buy them. I think baby Einstein has also started making toys and things now but I am not completely sure on that.

• Options

aylafsu88 said:
    @kitchencolors From what I know baby Einstein is mainly books and videos. I got some from my SIL who raved about how they make your kids so smart. To me they look like regular books/videos and I did not find anything special about them. I think the name attracts people to buy them. I think baby Einstein has also started making toys and things now but I am not completely sure on that.

Baby einstein videos seem to be more about the visuals they see on the screen and how they can relate the language to those visuals. They do things like counting, colors, shapes etc. The music they play along with it is very soft and calm. There are a bunch of baby brands that do this exact same thing so I do not see the big deal with baby einstein specifically, but I understand the concept of these types of things for baby. The problem with baby einstein specifically is that they have videos for children as young as 3 months. To me, a child should not be getting any TV screening time that young. There are plenty of other ways to stimulate their mind at that age.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    corgimum said:
    At home we listen to a lot of Radio Paradise (internet streaming) and I realize I will have to adjust some of my in car listening habits. So far Seamus likes to clap along to "Royals" by Lorde, and "it Takes Two" by Rob base and DJ EZ Rock. I think OP is making fairly reasonable requests--my H will put headphones on to listen to NIN or when he's watching those red band movie trailers(on his computer, in the basement).
    When I was pregnant with DD every time Beyonce "Love on top" came on the radio she would start kicking So hard, and whenever she heard Michael Jackson she would do the same thing. When she was younger, sometimes she would cry in her carseat, I would play an MJ song and she would go silent and fall asleep. LOL. Still to this day she likes both artist's music.,

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I have definitely had to change my radio habits since having kids. The baby is now repeating many of the words from songs, particularly while we're in the car. For us, that right now means lyrics from Frozen ;) but I would agree with you that it is definitely time to censor what our LOs hear.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    briderx said:
    I think it's hard to find songs now that aren't inappropriate for young kids. Most pop music is full of sexual content, but I would draw the line at racial slurs and violence in music. Your H sounds a lot like mine, he would never think the kids are listening to him/what he is doing. When I told him he can't swear around the kids he would argue they weren't listening or they were too young to understand. Well when DS started using the word fuck he realized the kids pick up on that real quick. Trust me getting them to stop saying those things is way harder than just preventing the behavior in the first place. I'm sure there are hip hop songs that are ok for kids to listen to, maybe you can agree on a few of those and listen to that when the kids are in the car.

I don't mind edited or old school hop hop where slurs and foul language are a lot less. I gave it a chance when he put it I'm and if within a minute it was that bad, imagine the rest of it.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I've had to change my car music habits too (no more soundtrack from Book of Mormon, unfortunately), so I get that it's annoying to not be able to listen to your favorite things when you have kids. That said...that's what your DH signed on for. Having kids is kind of a drag sometimes, but that's what you do. DS copies every other word he hears, and I'd rather he not copy profanity or racial slurs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"