March 2013 Moms

Refusing Cows Milk

We are trying to transition from BM to WCM but LO is not interested in WCM at all.  She has been taking water from a sippy cup since she was about 8 months old.  We were hoping that we'd just start putting WCM in her sippy and ultimately wean her off BM and get away from using bottles at the same time but she wants nothing to do with it.  She's just starting to refuse drinking out of the cup all together.  Is anyone else having this issue?  Any suggestions?  I haven't tried mixing BM with the WCM yet because I don't have a huge stash of extra BM so if LO refuses the mix, I'll just waste a ton of BM.  If others have gotten it to work though, I may have to give it a shot.  Help!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Refusing Cows Milk

• My LO is also refusing WCM at home but daycare says he does fine with it there. I tried mixing 1 oz BM and 2 oz WCM and he drank a little, not enough for me to try it again. You could try mixing a small amount, like one oz of each just to see how she does.

We usually give the sippy cup with meals so I am going to try offering it at other times during the day as well. Though I wonder if he's refusing because we're still nursing some on weekends. I work FT and I'm done pumping so he has to drink WCM at daycare but he may not be that thirsty at home. He eats really well and we're still nursing sometimes so I'm not going to worry too much yet.

• My daughter won't drink WCM at home either, but she will (sometimes) at school.  Maybe it's a temperature thing, who knows.  I'm still pumping at work, so she gets 1 BM bottle a day at school.  We also still nurse as much as possible, so it's understandable that she won't drink it at home.  At her 1 year wellness check, her doctor wasn't concerned.  He said to aim for about 16oz of milk a day, but it we don't reach that, it's fine.  He said some kids don't drink milk at all past one year. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • She'll drink it mixed with a little coconut milk.  I don't really worry about it. She gets plenty of protein/fats/etc because she eats like a horse and will drink 8+ oz of fluid at each meal. no more bottle or formula for us within a week of first birthday
    BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • Our DD will drink wcm if it's mixed with soy milk but its still from a bottle :/ she flat out throws the sippy if it doesn't have water in it
  • @egb+jaf

@Pinkie78

I started off giving DS milk in a cup with a straw.  He would suck on the straw and then started blowing into the cup to make bubbles with the milk.  That got him so excited about drinking milk that way so I started offering him some in a sippy cup that has a straw.  He does pretty well with it, but still doesn't drink a ton of milk from the sippy.  I figure it's baby steps.

;

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"