Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How to help blocked tear ducts?

Our pediatrician said that he has blocked tear ducts, but he didn't seem too horribly concerned about it. My other boy didn't have this issue, so I'm not sure if there's anything I should be doing to help unclog them. His eyes appear to be less gooky than before, so maybe it's resolving itself. We clean his eyes obviously, but is there anything else I could do to help it along?
  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Andrew Karol-4/10/2010
Jase Eli-3/10/14

Re: How to help blocked tear ducts?

• My daughter had blocked tear ducts too. You can gently massage the duct to try and work the goop out. Also, if you're breastfeeding, you can put a few drops of milk in your baby's eye. The antibodies in your system will help clear up the tear duct.
  • My pediatrician told me to take a cotton ball or a wash cloth with  warm water and clean the eye area and also gently massage in the inner eye area (by the bridge of the nose) I do that a couple times a week and that has helped. Ive noticed less eye gunk
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO had this and it will still occasionally come back. We do warm cloths and wipe it a few times a day. Also while I feed her I massage the corner of the eye (not at every feed).
  • DD saw an optometrist for another concern, but upon seeing her she immediately told me that she had an eye infection (while my dr kept saying that she had clogged tear ducts). The optometrist said that it's very rare for both ducts to be clogged. 

Once I got the infection under control, she did have one clogged duct. I would wipe her eye from the corner outwards with a clean, warm, wet cotton ball and massage in the corner of the eye and also along the lower lid. Also if you are BF, you can put drops of BM in the eye to help it along.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• You're supposed to massage the eyelid with a warm wet cloth from the outside corner to the inside, but most babies resolve it themselves. Yours sounds like it's already happening. Both my kids had it, and DS1 was fine by three weeks old and DS2 was fine by a month and a half old.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"