Adoption

Home study before agency selection?

Hello-

We think we have selected the agency we'll go with, but want to give it just a little more time to let it sink in and make sure it's the right decision. I assume that it's ok to go ahead and start the home study process since we'll have to do so regardless of the agency, correct? We'll likely go with a national agency so will need to get the home study done locally anyway.

Any reason not to go this route? Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Home study before agency selection?

• I can think of a few reasons, which may or may not be applicable to you.

-I'm assuming there's an application process. On the off chance they don't accept your application, or they have a waitlist for new families, you've now put the cart before the horse

-Unless you know who they use/recommend locally, you may get the home study done by the "wrong" people, requiring you to either amend your HS or start again

-Home studies typically expire (usually 1 or 2 years, depending on the state). If you get it done now, and don't even sign with the agency for 3 months, now you've opened yourself up to having to update your HS even sooner. Which is more time, $, etc.

It's very exciting to get to this step and want to do everything as quickly as possible, but there is an order to all of it for a reason.

Just my 2c

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"