Caribbean Babies

Does your husband ever work out of town?

So... DH is a truck driver. He works reeeeeally long hours. Like, he leaves the house at 3am and doesn't get home until 7/8 usually. He scarfs down some dinner and goes to bed about an hour later.

Good news: HE LOVES HIS JOB. And it pays well. And he's at least home every night (Although not for long).

He works five days a week and, sometimes (but not often), they need him on Saturdays.

His supervisors love him and they are trying to talk him into a new route. His company recently picked up a restaurant chain throughout the country. The route they want DH to take is Tennessee.

So, um, at first, I was all HELL NO. I do not want him to be an on-the-road truck driver and gone for days at a time. But then he explained to me that he would leave Monday morning, stay the night in Tennessee, come home Tuesday afternoon. He would be OFF on Wednesday, drive back to TN on Thursday and come home Friday afternoon. Off on weekends.

Also, the pay is... ridiculous. As in, he would double his income just about.

My mom thinks we're crazy for "discussing" this instead of just doing it, but you guuuuuys. I would miss him so much those two nights a week! That is really the only hold-up. I would just miss the hell out of him.

Is missing your husband for two nights worth the pretty awesome schedule and money?

Discuss.
----------------------------------------------------------------

“When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies.”

- J.M. Barrie Peter Pan

married on the sweetest day 10.20.12

Chicken - 07.08.06 | Bubsy - 02.24.09 | Sunshine - 07.16.14

I have died every day waiting for you. Darling, don't be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years. And all along I believed I would find you, time has brought your heart to me. I have loved you for a thousand years. I'll love you a thousand more.

Re: Does your husband ever work out of town?

• edited March 2014
    I would miss him too, but at least it is only two nights instead of more. I think for the type of pay increase he would be getting, I would tell him to go for it. Eta: a co-worker's husband is also a truck driver and he is gone weeks at a time, so I think that's why the decision would be easy for me - compared to that, this isn't so bad.
    [Deleted User]likeanoldtimemovie
  • That's a tough one, for sure. I would definitely miss my H, too. But, it is only two nights, and if the money is that much better, it might be worth it. When would he start?
    Probably in the next few weeks. I told him I was worried about what would happen if I went into labor while he was gone, but he said that his company's policy is for one of the supervisors to actually drive up to TN and get him to bring him home.

Plus, he could maybe switch routes with a local guy for the week before/after my due date, just in case.

“When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies.”

- J.M. Barrie Peter Pan

I have died every day waiting for you. Darling, don't be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years. And all along I believed I would find you, time has brought your heart to me. I have loved you for a thousand years. I'll love you a thousand more.
  • Loading the player...
  • stufie said:
    I would miss him too, but at least it is only two nights instead of more. I think for the type of pay increase he would be getting, I would tell him to go for it. Eta: a co-worker's husband is also a truck driver and he is gone weeks at a time, so I think that's why the decision would be easy for me - compared to that, this isn't so bad.
    This is heavy on my mind. He's really lucky to be a truck driver and GET this kind of schedule. Plus it's major job security. Ugh.. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DOOOO.

- J.M. Barrie Peter Pan

bumpuser1282882
  • That's a tough one. Me and DH both do fieldwork, so we're used to being away from each other for weeks at a time....he's in NV right now for 3 weeks, and them I'll be gone for 6. Honestly, it sucks sometimes. But if you're only looking at two nights a week, and the pay increase is that nice, I think it's be worth it.

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

likeanoldtimemovie
  • Joy2611 said:
    ::wandering in to drop off my two cents::

Two nights a week to watch my classless shows on TV without commentary?  Two nights a week to just have for myself?  I'd be all over it.  But, I'm weirdish like that.

I honestly think that being gone two nights the whole week is worth the extra pay and free time you'd get with your husband in the end.  But that is what would work for me, my husband, our family, and our personalities.  If it doesn't work for you, then it's okay to say to so.

I commuted 45 minutes every day on a train for two years.  I found it hellish and it ruined me.  I was a mess for two years.  Other people do it painlessly for years and are happier for the time to themselves.  My troubles with it simply didn't make sense to other people, but that didn't mean that my unhappiness with the situation was any less real.  Quitting that job for one closer to my home made all the difference in the world for my husband and I.  Some people didn't get it and that's okay.  It was a personal decision.

This. I know tons of people who work more than 45 mins away from home and they are fine with it. Me? No way in hell. I already spend 8+ hours at work a day and the last thing I want to do is waste more time on the road. It is just something I have always been adamant about.

The situation you described with your H sounds OK, maybe even better than his current situation to me. You would be able to spend more time with him on the nights he is home and the weekends guaranteed off are a bonus. But...if the "perks" (increased salary included) do not outweigh the fact that you will miss him terribly on the nights he is gone, then it is not worth it. Especially with all things being considered (your LO on the way). It just depends on how it will affect your happiness and relationship.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimage
    Anniversary

TTC #1 since 08/2013
    BFP! 11/7/2013
    EDD 7/21/2014
    Baby! 7/20/2014 
    9:14pm - 9lb 14 oz - 20 inches

[Deleted User]likeanoldtimemovie[Deleted User]
  • You guys, as always, are the freaking BEST.

So he told his boss he was interested and today they sent him on a "training" route to Alabama to see how he likes it. (We're in Georgia.) He'll be laying over tonight in a nice hotel (They also give him $50 to eat on each day he's gone), working tomorrow and home by dinner.

I'm glad he's on a training run to see how he likes it, for sure. He's a little bummed because he didn't know they were sending him there until this morning so he has no clean clothes or book or anything for the hotel. But I think if he's more prepared next time, he'll enjoy it.

The more you guys talk about two nights to myself... the more I'm thinking we could both benefit from that. Some nights when he's home, we get into fights because he wants to play xbox and I've missed him all day and want him to talk with me or play Monopoly or something. Other days, he gets sucked into a book and I don't hear from him for about six hours or so.

I'm home all day, so when he's home, I'm ready to socialize, but he's not always like that. I think having three solid days each week that could be OUR days to do something, take the kids somewhere, be together, etc. will be so helpful. We've been talking about scheduling a weekly date night and I think this schedule will accommodate that.

So we'll see!

That's great! (And a $50 per diem is really generous!)

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

likeanoldtimemovie
  • The schedule doesn't sound bad at all - I know some trucker H's and they are gone for days at a time. I would tell him to take the job, especially if it means more pay.

I would totally be lonely also during the nights if S/O was gone like that, but maybe that'll make the nights he is home more special?

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

likeanoldtimemovie
  • I don't think that's too bad. My brother is a truck driver and he is gone for usually 2 months at a time. If it doubles his salary and he loves his job you guys should go for it. My DH works overseas a lot and is gone for months at a time so maybe I'm biased because I'm used to it. Skype and phone calls will also make it easier on the nights your DH is gone.

Anniversary 

likeanoldtimemovie
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"