November 2013 Moms

Food for thought...

Today a friend of mine posted on Facebook that she is saying so long to social media and games like Candy Crush Saga on her phone to set a better example for her children. She said she wanted them to learn that real relationships are in real life and not on the Internet and phone.

This got me thinking and a bit conflicted. It made me think about how many minutes I have lost actually talking to my husband, friends and family because I have texted them instead or was playing on my phone in their company. And how many precious moments I have lost with my son because I am too busy video taping those moments instead of living them in real life.

But on the other hand, I think about all those people that were maybe once in my life that I would never ever see or talk to again, but with Facebook I get to stay in touch with them. And how about TheBump? I don't get to see you ladies or talk face to face. But we are creating relationships on here too.

So I want to hear your thoughts. Smartphones/Apps/social media/etc.... Good or bad? Would we have been better off if it had never been created? What would happen if it all went away now having had it? What do you think it will be like when our LOs are teenagers? Will they even know how communicate the way we do? You don't have to answer all those exact questions-- those are just some that come to my mind.

Re: Food for thought...

• Loading the player...
  • @taviabrad - I agree with educating kids to use proper grammar and spelling.  I see emails like what you state kids are writing coming from adult professionals.  What are they teaching their children when they communicate like that as well?

I think social media should be used, but time limits and monitored by parents until children are responsible enough to handle the potential consequences.  I look at Facebook and TB daily.  I even met my husband in an online dating site.  But at some point, children have to learn to unplug and communicate personally and I think as parents, that's our 'duty' to teach them.  I use the term 'duty' loosely, just couldn't come up with a better term.  
  • @taviabrad - I agree with educating kids to use proper grammar and spelling.  I see emails like what you state kids are writing coming from adult professionals.  What are they teaching their children when they communicate like that as well?

I think social media should be used, but time limits and monitored by parents until children are responsible enough to handle the potential consequences.  I look at Facebook and TB daily.  I even met my husband in an online dating site.  But at some point, children have to learn to unplug and communicate personally and I think as parents, that's our 'duty' to teach them.  I use the term 'duty' loosely, just couldn't come up with a better term.  
    I completely agree with this as well. I definitely think it needs to be monitored more closely. Youtube is another big thing that teens are using, and a lot of them have gotten in trouble for it for doing inappropriate things on it or even Instagram videos.

I have seen kids as young as 6 with their own cell phone texting away. I ever overheard some kids saying "Ok, Just send me a text"....uhm you are 8, why do you need your own smartphone and why is anyone texting you?
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • I agree, all things in moderation. One thing I have thought about doing is deleting certain social media apps from my phone (especially Facebook) so that I have to be on a computer to access it. That way I can still be on it but not as much. I don't know about you, but having it on my iPhone causes me to pull it up like 40 times a day just because I can. And what precious moments am I missing because I'm scrolling through my phone? 

As far as kids having access to smartphones, NO. Just no. So unnecessary. Same thing with little kids who have tablets and stuff to play on at restaurants, etc. I want my kids to know how to entertain themselves. Creativity is going out the window with all the screens that kids have access to these days. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'll never give up my phone. My DH and I tried but we kept going back yo verify things and talk shit. We're weird. However I don't really use my phone with M and she won't be allowed internet access until she's wayyyyyy older.
    BLAD reppin'

• Is it bad that I opened this hoping/thinking that it might be a thread on foods we were craving?  And there you go being all serious!  Sometimes I think my brain still thinks I'm pregnant   :\">

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"