Pre-School and Daycare

Kids Soccer

I'm looking for some advice regarding my son.  He has been in preschool for almost two years and is used to social situations, following directions, being without me, etc.  We started 'soccer' (mainly running around, kicking the ball, playing some games, parents stay on sideline to watch) last weekend and he was not into it.  It's every Saturday for the next 10-12 weeks or so.  When we have gone to the playground with his soccer ball he runs, kicks, and has a blast.  During Saturday's practice he wouldn't do anything without my holding his hand or being with him.  He wanted to sit out, told me he doesn't like soccer, he was tired and couldn't run.  Never mind that we went to the playground after soccer and he ran around like his usual maniac self!  There was one other boy from his class who he is friends with so there is at least a familiar face.  How should I approach the next class?  If he wants to sit out should I let him?  He started to cry when I walked away from him at one point in class to watch from the sidelines.  Part of me things he's full of baloney, but I also don't want to 'scar him' if you know what I mean.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Kids Soccer

• I agree with the others. DS did soccer at 3.5 and it was a gong show! He never wanted to participate, said he was tired, etc. he stuck it out but it was a waste of time! He wanted to play again in the fall (just turning 4) and loved it! He plays so much better and is excited to go every week. We're on hiatus until next month and he can hardly wait to start again!
    I'd try giving it a few weeks and see if he comes around. 

• DD was the same way. Prior to class there was free play and she was all over the place and loved running after the ball. Class started and she was a total different kid- her legs hurt, couldn't keep up, hated soccer.... She would sit the entire class moping. I am giving her a couple more years before we try soccer again. I don't want to put her or I through the frustration of soccer again for a while.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • All good ideas!  We'll see what happens this Saturday.  Thanks for you help :-)

• Hey, Mom... thanks for posting today.  It can be frustrating to see your child run and play so freely, and then when they are in a team environment, the shy cap comes out, and it seems like you have a different child!  I agree, with most that have posted here.  As he gets older, he will most likely develop confidence around other kids and adults and "loosen" up.  You know him the best... might be worth keeping him in just for the experience, even though you have to stick close by and cheer him on!  
  • rsd12rsd12 member
    We started our youngest at soccer last fall at 2 weeks shy of his 4th bday. He preferred to have snacks and hang with me on the sideline. Both of his older brothers did not start playing till they were 5 and loved it right away. He will be playing again this spring. But, since my husband is the coach I am not signing the youngest one up just in case he is not ready yet! But we will let him play. Next fall I wilm sign him up when he is closer to 5.
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"