April 2014 Moms
Options

Brewers yeast vs. Nutritional yeast

Same? Different? I keep seeing contradictory info regarding lactation. If you use brewers yeast, do you have a brand that you like? I'm also reading that it can taste awful. Thanks!!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Brewers yeast vs. Nutritional yeast

• Options
    Haha! That's what I'm trying to figure out. From what I understand Brewers yeast is good for boosting lactation. But I keep seeing things about nutritional yeast, which I hear has a cheesy flavor. I'm trying to figure out if it helps with lactation or not. All of this came up from a lactation cookies thread the other day and now I'm determined to make some before the baby arrives. And cheesy does not sound like a flavor I want in my chocolate chip lactation cookies! ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Different but both work with lactation cookies. I use nutritional yeast because I can get it at the grocery store and I like it on other stuff (like popcorn.)
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I bought brewer's yeast on amazon. DH got very excited seeing it pop up in his cart- he thought I was giving him the ok for more home brewing. :) he was extremely disappointed to learn I bought it for lactation cookies!

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Options
    I get it in the bulk section of our local whole foods or food coop.  I think I can find it with the grains/baking needs sometimes at the more regular store, too, though.  There are a bunch of kinds of nutritional yeast on amazon, too.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @ColleenSwerb‌
    I was looking at amazon right before I posted. There are quite a few to pick from and the prices vary so much. I'm going to read reviews and hope for the best!

Thanks! @Rrrrrachel‌
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Heidiman said:
    Same? Different? I keep seeing contradictory info regarding lactation. If you use brewers yeast, do you have a brand that you like? I'm also reading that it can taste awful. Thanks!!
    Nutritional yeast is used in a lot of Vegan type dishes, it adds a cheesy flavor.
  • Options
    I bought brewer's yeast at the Vitamin Shoppe.

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @ColleenSwerb‌ I found Brewer's and nutritional yeast at Wegman's. Both were in the "Nature's Marketplace" area with all of the organic stuff. Nutritional yeast was in the bulk area were you can get nuts/dried fruit/oats etc. Brewer's yeast was in the same section in the aisle with the supplements- protein powders etc.

imageimage
  • Options
    @JamiesWife2010‌
    Great! I drive by one daily. I will go by tomorrow.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Not the same! Not even close...im not sure what you do with brewers yeast, but you def dont sprinkle it on things! Lesson learned the hard way-yuck!!
    Nutritional yeast is full of b12 and has a cheesy flavor. Its delicious! I get it at Sprouts or whole foods and use it on salads or pasta..or anywhere.
    Haha I just re read the op...yeah, dont put nut. yeast in cookies!

• Options
    TallaB said:

Not the same! Not even close...im not sure what you do with brewers yeast, but you def dont sprinkle it on things! Lesson learned the hard way-yuck!!
    Nutritional yeast is full of b12 and has a cheesy flavor. Its delicious! I get it at Sprouts or whole foods and use it on salads or pasta..or anywhere.
    Haha I just re read the op...yeah, dont put nut. yeast in cookies!

I think I might get some of both. But yeah....glad you said something about it probably being gross in cookies!! Haha!! That would have been such a waste!!
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"