Adoption

Freaking out for a friend - TPR court today. ** updated**

ppantsppants member
edited March 2014 in Adoption

This is going to get long.  I don't 100% understand all of the procedures that transpire with foster to adopt.  I will provide what little I do know.  My friend is fostering to adopt a child that I'll call B.  She and her husband brought B home from the hospital and have had him in their care until today.  B is over 2.5 yrs old now. 

BM terminated her parental rights quickly and has stated many times that she wants my friend to have and adopt B.  BF was in the picture for a few months and getting supervised visits.  He moved up to unsupervised visits and had a couple of those.  BF did test positive for drugs and was still allowed a visit despite the fact that that shouldn't have been allowed to occur.  During this time, BF didn't have a job, and my understanding, the place he was living wouldn't be suitable for a child. 

BF quit coming around and the state wasn't in contact with him either.  He hasn't seen B in approximately 18 months.  Court to TPR for him is today.  My friend just found out that BF is going to appear in court today.  She did call her attorney, but he's currently in court for other matters and won't get back to her until not too long before their appearance.  She and her family want to adopt him and of course consider him their child. 

Does anyone have experience with something like this?  My heart aches for her that she has to go through this.

**Update** BF came to " learn more about the process" and they have another hearing in a month to finally TPR. He knows my friend will provide the best life for B and BF wants her family to adopt him. I'm so relived as is my friend and her DH. Thanks for letting me freak out here :)
Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD

Re: Freaking out for a friend - TPR court today. ** updated**

• TPR really varies a lot by state, so I don't know if my experience can be helpful.

I know in WI that the BF is given a summons to appear in court for TPR and if they don't show their parental rights are automatically terminated at that hearing..  He may have been served a summons to appear and then decided to appear in court and is intending to follow through with voluntarily terminating his rights.

My state also has a time period of 6 months where if the BP's aren't attempting to maintain contact or make any advancement in determining a permanent living arrangement for their child then it's considered abandonment and the county steps in to decide what's best for the child.

Again, this all varies from state to state, so take this with a grain of salt.  I hope everything goes ok today for your friend, it sure is stressful!
    TTC #1 9/11-12/12, 9/12 Dx: Hypothyroid + DOR (AMH .76), IUI #1 & #2 BFN's
    1/13 Decided to pursue DIA, 4/13 Home study Approved 9/13 Matched!
    10/13 DS home with us! 2/14 TPR completed  5/14 ADOPTION IS FINAL!
    3/14 Surprise BFP 11/14 DD is here!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you both for your replies.  My head and heart both think that it wouldn't make sense for the judge to allow the BF to "start the process over", but it's such a delicate area you never know.  I'll update after I hear about court. 
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Loading the player...
  • Great news. A similar thing happened to a friend of mine. She ended up being able to spend quality time with her DS's BF, and give him some pictures and mementoes. I'm glad things worked out for your friend.
  • Sounds like everyone wants what is best for the child and agree on that that actually is!  Wishing your friend the best!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"