Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

best milk alternatives for milk allergy? starting before a year?

Sorry I have two questions: for the little ones with milk allergies, which alternative is the best nutritionally? I've been doing research and found conflicting information. 

Has anyone introduced milk or a milk alternative before a year? My son is 10 months and I'm thinking of introducing a milk alternative. He's BF but I have I give him formula to fill in the gaps since my supply has been decreasing. We have tried for several months trying to give formula but he refuses. We have limited options and none are working. Honestly I'm not surprised based on the smell and taste of the formulas for milk protein allergies.

Re: best milk alternatives for milk allergy? starting before a year?

• Options
    My son has MPI. We alternate between Almond Milk and Hemp Milk. Each alternative has a plus and a minus. Soy is well rounded, but many that are allergic to milk are also allergic to soy. Plus there is controversy to the estrogen in it and can be very high in sugar. Rice milk is the most hypoallergenic, but the least nutritionally rounded and high in sugar. Almond milk is low fat, high in calcium, and moderate protein. Coconut milk has no protein and is high in fat, but the the fat is mostly saturated fat. Oat milk has good fat and protein, but high in sugar. Hemp milk is high in fat (mostly Omega 3's and 6's) and has good protein, but can be hard to find and expensive.

For us we'd love to do all hemp milk, but it's not easy to find and expensive. So I stock up once a month and supplement with almond milk for extra calcium. I only do unsweetened vanilla. Makes it taste a little better and has no sugar.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Also, we have to add into his diet to make it well rounded. So higher in protein and higher in good fats. Lots of coconut oil and avocados as well as meat and nut butters.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank so much for the info!  I will try hemp, almond and coconut. Our ped told us to stay away from soy formula so I'm guessing it's the same for soy milk. 

Did you start before a year?
  • Options
    I would of started earlier, but we waited until 1 year. I'd see which one he prefers and go from there. We like to mix things up though.
  • Options
    My LO seems to hate the taste of milk, so I've been giving her Coconut milk and water in her sippies.  She loves meat and eggs, so i'm not worried about the protein (she will pound 6 oz of a meat in a day), and the coconut milk has enough good fat (its the exact same amount of saturated fat as regular milk), vitamin D and even MORE calcium. But, again it might be different if she didn't get as much protein as she does
    BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • Options
    Nana_Osaki06 curious how much hemp milk is?
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hemp milk isn't too much more per container than almond milk. We get Tempt brand unsweetened vanilla and it's like 3.50$ per container.
  • Options
    Mine is allergic to milk and soy. We have been told to avoid all nuts by our allergist. Do you see an allergist?

My LO will stay on nutramigen until 2 yrs old (just transitioned to the toddler kind) due to her allergies and she needs the extra calories in it. We currently use rice milk in things- like pancakes, scrambled eggs, muffins, etc
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"