Adoption

Can you adopt if you've seen a counselor? Sort of time urgent question

I have an appt today with a counselor to talk about how to cope with all of the medical tests and anxiety that go along with TTTC. That said, adoption is something DH and I are talking about and I am very concerned about getting diagnosed by this person (for insurance purposes) and now I am starting to worry about going. I don't want to screw up our chances of adopting down the line. Please help!

Me: 27 DH: 27

October 2013: Endo erosion/ Clear HSG

March 2014: SA #1/  2%morph, borderline sperm count, decent motility

June 2014: SA#2/  2% morph, low sperm count, worse motility

Plan: "Quick Start IVF"/antagonist protocol with Follistim, Ganirelix, Ovidrel and progesterone suppositories (yay)

High AMH (11) and Low BMI= low doses of everything to prevent OHSS

July 27, 2014: Started Follistim injections for ten days

July 31, 2014: U/S= 20 follicles, 8.5 lining, E2 is good, Ganirelix for 4 days starting 8/2

August 4, 2014: 14 follicles on-track, good lining, Trigger 8/6

August 9, 2014: 9 ICSIed/ 5 embryos; aiming for a 5dt on 8/13

August 13, 2014: 5DT of 1 4BA almost-hatching blastocyst (Please hang in, Little Bug!)

August 14, 2014: We have 3 frosties! Hope they're having fun hanging out together. :)

August 23, 2014: Beta #1: 144 8/23/14: Beta #2: 374 Beta 8/25/14  Beta #3: 6,600 9/3/14

September 9, 2014: Ultrasound #1 115 heartbeats per minute

September 23, 2014: Ultrasound #2 182 heartbeats per minute 

September 26, 2014: Love my OB's office

October 10, 2014: Our baby looks like a baby and is moving all over!  

December 8, 2014: Anatomy scan- It's a girl! 

"Hope strengthens.  Fear kills."- Karen Marie Moning

"Heaviness is only temporary; the daylight will soon break in."- needtobreathe

Re: Can you adopt if you've seen a counselor? Sort of time urgent question

• You won't screw up your chances by taking care of your health. Think of it this way--adopting is harder with anxiety than without. As long as you can show you're managing it appropriately, you'll be fine. Good for you for seeing someone
  • LO95LO95 member
    @fredalina‌ that's what I'm afraid of. It's so unfair.

Me: 27 DH: 27

October 2013: Endo erosion/ Clear HSG

March 2014: SA #1/  2%morph, borderline sperm count, decent motility

June 2014: SA#2/  2% morph, low sperm count, worse motility

Plan: "Quick Start IVF"/antagonist protocol with Follistim, Ganirelix, Ovidrel and progesterone suppositories (yay)

High AMH (11) and Low BMI= low doses of everything to prevent OHSS

July 27, 2014: Started Follistim injections for ten days

July 31, 2014: U/S= 20 follicles, 8.5 lining, E2 is good, Ganirelix for 4 days starting 8/2

August 4, 2014: 14 follicles on-track, good lining, Trigger 8/6

August 9, 2014: 9 ICSIed/ 5 embryos; aiming for a 5dt on 8/13

August 13, 2014: 5DT of 1 4BA almost-hatching blastocyst (Please hang in, Little Bug!)

August 14, 2014: We have 3 frosties! Hope they're having fun hanging out together. :)

August 23, 2014: Beta #1: 144 8/23/14: Beta #2: 374 Beta 8/25/14  Beta #3: 6,600 9/3/14

September 9, 2014: Ultrasound #1 115 heartbeats per minute

September 23, 2014: Ultrasound #2 182 heartbeats per minute 

September 26, 2014: Love my OB's office

October 10, 2014: Our baby looks like a baby and is moving all over!  

December 8, 2014: Anatomy scan- It's a girl! 

"Hope strengthens.  Fear kills."- Karen Marie Moning

"Heaviness is only temporary; the daylight will soon break in."- needtobreathe

• Loading the player...
  • Absolutely you can still adopt after seeing a counselor. Take care of yourself.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I agree with the rest of the ladies...need to make sure you are in the right space first.  The right program for you will support your decision to be healthy!

• I'm sorry I'm only seeing this post now, but I hope I can still add something to a subject not talked about enough. 

We were so excited to pursue international adoption and I was crushed when I found out how much stigma there is from other countries regarding mental health issues and that my anti-depressant medication disqualified us from most programs.  I have what is considered a mild form of depression and anxiety, have never felt since I started taking medication and think I am doing the right thing by taking care of myself, so I never thought this would be an issue.  The first agency we tried working with was pretty discouraging.  I learned there are some countries where their stance on mental health isn't so set in stone if an agency advocates for the adoptive parents and/or the parents are adopting a child with special needs, and luckily our second was willing to go to bat for us. 

Despite what I hope will be a happy ending to our adoption journey, there have been many times in this process where I feel like my diagnosis has been a scarlett letter and has added undue hurdles and financial burdens that my husband hasn't experienced.  There are so many times when I wished I didn't have to disclose my medical history, but there was no way around it since my primary doctor is the one who prescribes my medication and who would be filling out my medical forms.  No one ever looked at my medical records or insurance claims.  Everything was based on my disclosure and forms filled out by my primary care doctor. 
    Son #1 - September '09
    Son #2 - October '11
    Son #3 - Hoping to adopt from China some time in 2014!

Our adoption journey: Talkin' 'Bout the Next Generation
  • We're adopting from Africa and I saw a counselor. I got a letter written from my counselor (who, luckily, is now a friend of my mom's and is easily contactable) stating her belief in my fitness to parent and adopt. The agency didn't bat an eye about it.

But, as PP said, with certain diagnoses and with medication, your IA possibilities will be narrowed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"