Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Signature not on birth certificate

So I was going through a bunch of documentation today getting ready for an upcoming plane flight, and first I came across my birth certificate. I looked it over and spent a few seconds looking at my moms signature (my mom passed away many years ago). Then I found my daughters (first child). My husband and I both signed it and it said the relationship was "parents". Then I found my son's birth certificate (second child) and it only has my husbands signature!!! And the relationship says "parent". My name is obviously listed as "mother" but I somehow never signed it. Hello I was THERE!?! My sons birth was rough and somewhat traumatic and seeing this really upsets me. I guess there is something symbolic about that piece of paper.

I remember them coming in for me to sign it and they had the time of birth wrong (like really wrong). So I told them and they basically told me I didn't know what I was talking about but I insisted they check. I guess they came back at some point with the correct time and I was in the shower or something so my husband signed it and I guess that was good enough!

Anyone else not get to sign a birth certificate? Can this be fixed? I'm in California.

Re: Signature not on birth certificate

• Options
    I think my DD's birth certificate has both of our signatures and my DS's only has mine. (or it could be the other way around!) I kind of remember saying to a nurse or whomever it was that there was not a spot for Dad's signature so I asked if he could just sign his name on the same line as mine. It was odd, both of our names are printed on it but only a request/spot for 1 signature. I really think there should be a place for both parents to sign and both should be required.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  

• Options
    In my experience if the mother is married she is the only one who signs the birth certificate.  Legally the husband is legally the father even if he is not biologically and has to petition to not have his name on if he is not the father.  The father only signs if he is not married to the mother and is agreeing that he is the father.  

This is from my experience with my son as well the experiences of friends in other states.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I live in Kansas and both of my kids were born here.  My DH and I have been married for both of our kids' births.  However, I had the same experience as you with my first.  Only my DH name is on my DD and it kind of upsets me.  He doesn't seem to mind one way or the other.  But when my son was born I made sure that I signed it.  I wish that there was room for both of our signatures as clearly we are both responsible for our kids!
  • Options
    I'd have to look at my kids BCs, but I feel like I was the one to sign both, and not DH.

• Options
    There is no signatures on my daughters...

photo 8171fa67-0749-444f-93ec-78250e104e5f_zps37aefc95.jpg

• Options
    Neither of my girls (born in different states) have DH's or my signature, they just have the county register or someone.

Also, my dog ripped a piece off of DD1's.
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• Options
    QTeeQTee member
    Thanks for the responses, I guess every state is different. Lol about the dog eating the birth certificate! I would of preferred to have signed it, but what can you do?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"